BT and default that they claim I do not owe?! Help please

Hello,

I am being passed around the houses a little with BT and not so sure what to do next.

So in preparation for applying for a mortgage I have managed to clear several defaults, which now means I do not owe anyone other than my current credit card, which is used and paid in full each month and my car finance hp payments.

All with the exception of a default from BT on 29th March 2017 for £117. Now, I did get in a pickle with my finances so I could not be sure if this was or was not owing, I contacted BT via telephone to clarify and pay the remaining balance to settle the account. However they advised that the account had been settled already and I did not owe any money. I have since requested via equifax to remove the default believing it was there in error. However they have had a reply from BT advising that the balance is due. So again I contacted the call centre tonight as they advised with the reference number they have provided, to be told there is no money outstanding. :(:( So i attempted to have a discussion with an agent online ... to again be told there remains no money outstanding on the account.

I am not really sure what to do next. BT advisors saying I don't owe the money, however BT reply to Equifax saying I do ... i just want the default settled and I genuinely don't recall having paid the balance, so I am happy to settle if I do owe it. I just don't seem to be able to get them to take the payment.

Any advise?

Comments

• They may have either written the debt off or sold it to a collection agency.

What do all 3 of your credit files say?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If the debt has been sold on, which is likely given what you’ve said, the BT call handlers will not have details on that, they only know what their screen tells them.

If you are not contacted in the next few months, write and ask BT what’s going on, or if you can’t wait, write now, don’t phone, it’s not productive.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thanks very much.

I suspect you are correct, I have fired off an email to their head office today so will wait and see their reply.
  • To update ... as I suspected, the money was still outstanding.
    BT advised that their agents hadn’t looked into my file properly as the money was outstanding for some time and the file was closed. So an apology from BT and with the new month, my credit report has been updated to reflect the settled payment.
  • welly_59
    welly_59 Posts: 315 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That was quick! I had a similar issue with three that took 8 weeks for them to resolve, but still showing on my credit file until they update at the end of the month hopefully
  • I think it was more Equifax that were quick to be fair. As soon as it was settled, I raised a request through them for it to be changed - they contacted BT and within a few days they had got back confirmation it was paid, then amended my file.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure