Building The Burrow!

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Yay new dairy :T Great start Pearla, you sound super organised already, but how on earth did you get to £120 on one poll :eek: I have just quit again at about £5.50 :o

Its so exciting stating the new year with a plan, have you thought of joining any mfw challenges? The mfw 2014 is a good one and you can include debt repayments/ savings as well or instead of op's.

I hope you had a good me party, and I Like the new dairy name. We are all big HP fans here, not sure what part of the country you are in but have you visited the studio tour, not very mse but Fantastic :D

Best of luck will keep popping in!
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • I work from home a lot of the time (and mostly on the computer), so I've got into the habit of checking it every time I finish a task (or want to put off doing something, ha!). Most of the polls show up during the day so I can imagine it must be such a drag if it's not easily accessible 9-5, they do disappear quickly. :( To be fair £120 is since I started about 2 and half years ago, it took me forever to get to the first couple of payments but I've forced myself to constantly check it this year and have cut the payout times to around 6 months, it's just so nice getting a big wad of cash(!) Only £1.20 to go for the next payment... hope I manage to finish it off this week, what a nice Christmas present that would be! :rotfl:

I've just been thinking about mfw 2014 :D Once I figure out a vaguely realistic savings target I'll jump on board, I'll probably be super slow and behind target to begin with but hopefully things will perk up by the middle of next year.

I've not been on the studio tour yet! We almost went down earlier this year but for some reason I forget it didn't work out (I'm in the shire of York, by the way). Definitely still on the list though! Mr Merle has been to the HP world thingy at Disneyworld, which he never lets me forget about. :p He did bring me back Hermione's wand though, I haven't practised many spells with it yet, now I come to think about it... :think:
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • Rightio, today...

Main plan of action is to get to the post office - no rush, must remember to avoid the mad queues lunchtime will bring (which I usually manage to subject myself to), I need to finish packaging some bits up and writing quick letters to go with them anyway so that should work out nicely. I always think I'm on top of these things but end up sending stuff late anyway, everything was meant to be posted last week, oops. Ah well, if it means everyone gets an extended Christmas, so be it!

What else? Need to keep checking OnePoll like a demon. Make attempts to clear all the random odds and ends that are lying about, at least in the living room so we can crash out and well & truly get into the Christmas spirit this evening. My parents gave us a big box of festive munchies/drinks so I think I might crack that open otherwise we'll still be trying to work our way through it during some ridiculously far off spring-like month. Really need to polish off a piece of awkward work before the weekend, vaguely can't face it but just need to grit my teeth and do it.

Oh flip, I've just realised I can't post all the parcels as some are too big and the PO will charge me the earth for them, need to investigate cheaper courier service and then work out if people will be in to receive them. Why have Royal Mail done this to themselves? It's so inconvenient. :(

Generally at some point...
    * Change beds
    * Loads more washing as pile is at ridiculous levels
    * Bathroom swish
    * Use up veg (oh drats, forgot to more plastic tubs the other day)
    * Sort out all the Zite articles I emailed myself to follow up
    * Work out Christmas present for neighbours
    * Declutter last two chocolate biscuits
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • Ha! Just realised OnePoll will pay you 50p for linking your Facebook account... but also pays you when you reach certain milestones which they then post on FB. Don't mind if I do.... 70p until payout now! :D

PS. if anyone out there wants a referral to join, just give me a shout. You get £2.50 straight off for signing up. :)
  • mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think start with the last item first! You can tell I wasn't in work yesterday - the choc biccie box someone brought in is still half full.

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip on OnePoll releasing surveys during the day. I usually log in at lunch time and do some but I'll try checking back at random points of the day and see if that boosts my earning rate. Have been on there for over 3 years and still at £27.80!
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
  • BlueMoo
    BlueMoo Posts: 424 Forumite
    Sounds like you have plenty to do today!

Argh! The Royal Mail - they are so annoying! Somehow they have teh most illogical, ridiculous process for things.
    M3 Dec2015 #160 Target £150,000 (BU £155000)
  • Crumpets
    Crumpets Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    Hi pearla*merle, great diary, I will subscribe to get loads more inspiration and tips. We're all massive HP fans here too and I can definitely recommend the studio tour, it's definitely not very MSE though!

It might be a bit late now for you but royal mail have adjusted their parcel sizes for Christmas so you can send a a larger parcel for £2.60 2nd class.

How did the decluttering of the biscuits go? :D

Crumpets x
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,927.6
    Mortgage Feb 2019 £78,323.18
  • Mouche, Crumpets - the biscuits were absolutely the first thing ticked off my list :D

Mouche, good luck with OnePoll, you'll be at £40 in no time now! :)

Crumpets, I wish I'd seen your post before I went out, it would have saved me standing in line with a very anxious, furrowed brow, everything ended up coming up at £2.60, hurrah! I had no idea they'd been sensible about parcels for Christmas. :D Still shelled out about £15 though, argh. Next year I'm giving everyone their presents when I see them, even if it is July! :rotfl: Only two people in the queue at the PO, though I somehow forgot to write an address on one of my parcels then couldn't find it again on my phone, ah well. Almost 100% result, I'll take what I can.

I've ended up having a rather remarkable day. On my way back from the PO I was about to cross a dual carriageway and what do I see but this little terrier trotting along in a cosy winter jacket but no owner to be see. He merrily walked straight out into the traffic (with me practically falling into the paths of the cars to try and stop them from running him over, complete heart in mouth moment, I still feel shivery thinking about it!) somehow he survived and I whisked him off the road before he could dance with death again. Thankfully he had a tag, I called and called the number but to no avail. Managed to make him to walk back towards my neck of the woods while holding his collar (I looked like Quasimodo! I had to hobble along bent double holding his collar so he wouldn't take off again). The Fates must have been looking after this little fellow as I met my Neighbour With A Dog who lent me a lead (she was about to drive off home for Christmas, what great timing), so I had a wander around trying to see if I could find anyone who owned him, but no one was to be found. He trotted along wagging his tail and being generally charming, it was very tempting to keep him! Ended up taking him to the animal shelter who found his chip (Mr Merle came up with that great suggestion, I never even thought about it!), turns out my little terrier is actually from Portugal and had been picked up in Kent as a stray last month! What an adventurous life he's led! The owner hasn't phoned me back/sent me a text or anything, it's so bizarre. Animal shelter are going to let me know what happens to him... think I might pick up some food and such and drop it round some time for them though, they were lovely. :)

Came home to a mountain of Christmas cards all from people who I hadn't sent cards to - cue frantically writing some and phone calls to get addresses and going back out to the post box.

I'm down to 10p needed on OnePoll! Agonising! I only got that far thanks to the FB posts/possibly also from convincing someone to sign up (I've no idea). There were hardly any surveys all day, I think the staff were all at Christmas parties or something... totally unacceptable at a time like this! :rotfl:

Heaven knows what I else I said I'd do today, I've not done any of it. It's all been Pet Rescue and Post Offices! Impromptu trip to Asda this evening, we did need to stock up on essentials for next week or so, mostly picked up carrots and parsnips (roast veg, yummy!). Might have splurged on a pretty £1.50 (half price) paper lantern... a Christmas present to myself! To be fair, I've been on the lookout for one for ages, so don't feel too bad about snapping it up.

Oh gosh, so many other background moneysaving shenanigans went on as well. Mr Merle discovered that Amazon Local are doing a deal on some Fantasia concert, half price tickets a few days after Christmas, so duly bought - we've not done anything for Christmas really so that'll be something nice to look forward to. My family tradition is to do something on Christmas Eve, but Mr Merle technically has to be in work despite probably being told to go home at 10am if last year is anything to go by, argh!, so we can't really organise anything for then as you never know how it'll play out.

Mr M also managed to pick up some fancy Lord of the Rings boxset of books in a charity shop today, looked them up out of interest as they had a CD missing and apparently they're worth about £100! Pretty much double if they had the CD! (You've no idea how much this happens to him, it's infuriating! :rotfl:)

A few rumblings in the background about job stuff, but it's all wait and see type things. Some chatter about holidays (Mr Mr has a lot of airmiles to use up), so we might be able to organise something nice for next year pretty cheaply *crossing all fingers & toes*

Flipping heck, I'm knackered now. I wanted to catch up on everyone else's shenanigans but that might have to wait until tomorrow morning(!)
  • OH! edinburgher LEDs: we've mostly got Homebase TCP LED GU10 Non-Dim - 4W - 2 Pack. They're £9.99 at the moment. I don't recommend the dimming ones that are 5w though. (can you tell I've just copy & pasted this? lol)

Ikea ones are ok too, but are fractionally too big (at least for our typical-modern-flat inset lights) so might not to work with some fittings. We do have some Philips ones, they've always been ok for us and we like having the long warranties. But I guess if they keep breaking for you then a long warranty is hardly much use, eh?!

(Oh dear lord, wrote an absolute novel in that last post, oops. Will struggle finding much to report in future, I promise :rotfl:)
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ah - GU10s - that makes it so much easier!

I think if we had GU10s throughout I could get our electricity bill down to about a tenner a month :rotfl:

We have them in the bathroom (24W total drain for the room), but the other rooms are an annoying mix of E14s and E27s.

We use these ones (or similar, correct manufacturer)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure