Multiple Paypal Accounts

Hi all.

I need a second paypal account, for a one-off purchase. This is not for ebay. I will continue using my main paypal account for ebay and all other purchases.

I can, I suppose, create a new account based on a credit card for a different bank than my main account. However, my address will be the same. Will this be a problem?

I've googled and it seems that I can have one personal account and one business account. I can also have multiple accounts connected to the same card, but usually this is where multiple people share an account. So, I could create one based on the same card.

Is there anything I should be aware of before creating a new paypal account? Particularly if I create a second one for the same card?

Comments

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,009
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    RHemmings wrote: »
    Hi all.

I need a second paypal account, for a one-off purchase. This is not for ebay. I will continue using my main paypal account for ebay and all other purchases.

I can, I suppose, create a new account based on a credit card for a different bank than my main account. However, my address will be the same. Will this be a problem?

I've googled and it seems that I can have one personal account and one business account. I can also have multiple accounts connected to the same card, but usually this is where multiple people share an account. So, I could create one based on the same card.

Is there anything I should be aware of before creating a new paypal account? Particularly if I create a second one for the same card?
    I've had two in the past without a problem. I think I used two different cards. You used to not be able to have the same card registered on different accounts. I don't know if that's still the case. It may have been as the primary card.

I had a micro and a macro account.

On another thought, if it's just a one off payment you can make a guest payment. You'll need to clear your cache & cookies so it doesn't register on your existing account.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,424
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It's a long story, very long. But, I needed an account for someone to send an invoice to. A friend has volunteered, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm dealing with a country where things work very differently from how they work in the UK. I'm doing what my travel agent at the destination is telling me to, in the way that he is telling me to.
  • If you need an account for someone to send an invoice to but don't want them to have your current email, just add the new email to your account.

You can have two accounts but from memory they can't be the same type. Ie you can have a micro and standard or standard and business, but not 2 standard.
  • TKPeters
    TKPeters Posts: 1,877
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    Be very careful, an ex-employee had 2 paypal accounts, one for his old eBay Business sales & another for personal purchases.
    Paypal shut both down & refused to allow either of them to be re-instated, forcing him out of business, which is why he came to work for us.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    TKPeters wrote: »
    Be very careful, an ex-employee had 2 paypal accounts, one for his old eBay Business sales & another for personal purchases.
    Paypal shut both down & refused to allow either of them to be re-instated, forcing him out of business, which is why he came to work for us.

There's more to that story.

You can have 2 accounts. But as I said, they cannot be the same type, more specifically - https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ762
    Can I have multiple PayPal accounts?

Yes. You can have one Consumer account and one Business account. You can add more email addresses, debit or credit cards, and bank accounts to your account, but each account must have its own email address and financial information. You can also upgrade your Consumer account to a Business account.

Many on here have micro accounts for small payments and a normal (be that private or business) account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure