Cheap Pay-as-you-go Deals Article Discussion

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm sure o2 will only charge you for data a: if your phone uses it and b: if you have chosen a tariff that includes this charge.

In both cases, the solution is in your hands.
  • Joined SMARTY as it looked a good deal.

However the service is rubbish. If it works out of the box then well done you. If however it doesn't and you need to contact them then the nonsense starts.
    SIM arrived and was set up easily, number ported the next day.
    Restrictions were removed via their automated process.

BUT
    restrictions then activated again despite showing as deactivated. Chat was rubbish as the response time is poor and they skim the chat and give tick box answers. Once you spend your life getting past that whatever it is that you are chatting to agrees to "start a ticket" and pass it down the line. Ne expected resolution time given.

UTTELY USELESS SERVICE. I suppose being '3' it is to be expected but it isn't good. :mad:
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm sorry you're having issues, I've had no problems or delays with their customer service in the 13-14 months I've been with them. I've always had a response within 5 minutes, they don't advertise it as instant chat, just messaging.

I've worked in that environment (not for Smarty). Sometimes it just isn't possible to give an ETA for a resolution, especially when the cause of a problem is unknown. I appreciate how frustrating it is though.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    MSE wrote:
    you can claim a £15 Amazon voucher, just make sure to activate your Sim within the first 90 days.
    • Welcome e-mail received from the 'Administrator', [EMAIL="no-reply@giftcloud.com"]no-reply@giftcloud.com[/EMAIL]
    • SIM bought and activated.
    • First bill paid
    Giftcloud wrote:
    Delivery: Your Gift Card will be sent by email from Giftcloud within 3 months of your Qualifying Purchase.
    Nothing was sent within 3 months.
    MSE wrote:
    What if I have difficulties? Try getting in touch with Smarty first.
    Really?
    Giftcloud wrote:
    Three cannot accept responsibility for the delivery of your Gift Card by Giftcloud, which is beyond Three’s control.
    Giftcloud wrote:
    If you have any questions, please contact our friendly customer care team at [EMAIL="rewards@giftcloud.com"]rewards@giftcloud.com[/EMAIL] quoting
    Don't hold you breath. No reply after 5 days.
    Conclusion: trust neither MSE, nor so called 'Giftcloud'. Go via Topcashback instead.

Ah, almost forgot...
    MSE wrote:
    If after contacting the firm you still have difficulties, please let us know and we will do our best to help.
    Hardly a surprise that on this page I don't see anything related to Amazon gift card. Is it an "MSE Blagged voucher or cashback "? I don't think so.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Trusting TCB is like jumping from the frying pan... I don't trust either one. Their primary reason for existence is (like most commercial companies) to make money from their gullible customers.
  • jklsc
    jklsc Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2019 at 3:16AM
    At 3/2/1 (pence per: minute/text/MB) O2 has good rates but it is definitely not good for occasional use:

"though you'll have to top up with a minimum of £10 every six months to keep it active."

£20 per year is over 55 minutes per month... This is not occasional use!

Asda is a way better deal. They charge more: 8/4/5 BUT a top up can be as low as £1 (using a debit or credit card) AND "As long as you make one chargeable call, text or use a bit of mobile data every 180 days the credit on your phone will not expire."

So, send a text message every 4 months (just to be safe) and it will take you 83 years to use up the £10 that O2 expect you to give them every 6 months. Now that's what I call occasional or back-up use. Just set a reminder somewhere to send a text from your back-up/occasional use SIM so that you don't forget!!!

Also...

1. Why in the world is Lebara Mobile (19/19/9) recommended over Asda (8/4/5), GiffGaff (15/5/5), ID Mobile (3/2/1) or many others? Even Vodaphone's "Pay As You Go 1" tariff (20/20/4) is better because at least it is capped at £1 per day if you really want to go to town. Then there is this from their terms and conditions: "60. If you do not use the Pre-Pay Services to make at least one chargeable event or outgoing call for a period of 84 days, this Agreement will be deemed to be terminated by you, and the Service will be disconnected."
    Lebara Mobile has got to be the worst recommendation I have ever seen on this site.

2. If you are going to recommend 1pMobile for low use then you really MUST warn users that the minimum top-up is £10 and it has to be made once every 4 months to keep your number. It is this combination that is THE gotcha for occasional users as they not only lose their money but their phone number as well. Although it is important to note that some companies give a very short grace period where you can recover your number but not your balance. I think that Asda offers the longest that I have seen at 90 days (this may not be the current grace period) but many/most, like Lebara and 1pMobile, give zero days grace and really are not appropriate for occasional/back-up use.

In summary:
    With Asda you have to spend 8p per year.
    With O2 you have to spend an average of £1.67 a month.
    With 1pMobile you have to spend £2.50 but you get more for your money.

Occasional Use vs Low Use
    Low users have a very different requirement to occasional users or people who just want a back-up/emergency phone. Low users are people who actually use their phones regularly - just not very much. They are a difficult bunch to generalise for but a good rule of thumb is:

If your Asda bill is more than £1.67 a month then move to O2.
    If your O2 bill is more than £2.50 a month then move to 1pMobile.

This is why I would rank them as Asda (best for very low users), O2 (best for low users), 1pMobile (best for modest users).

Finally
    If your bill is more than £5 per month change to pay monthly. I personally dislike bundles and find the huge variety out there difficult to keep up with. They are also difficult to manage and, nowadays, rarely as good value for money as the best pay monthly deals.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jklsc wrote: »
    At 3/2/1 (pence per: minute/text/MB) O2 has good rates but it is definitely not good for occasional use:

"though you'll have to top up with a minimum of £10 every six months to keep it active."
    There's actually no truth in the quoted statement, making O2 Classic PAYG the best choice for occasional use, along with Three PAYG (same rates) that you seem to have overlooked.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • ask66
    ask66 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Hi jklsc. As eDicky has said, o2 don't enforce the minimum top-up every 6 months.

See my post of 16-1-18 here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73727421&postcount=13

ask66
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    ask66 wrote: »
    Hi jklsc. As eDicky has said, o2 don't enforce the minimum top-up every 6 months.

See my post of 16-1-18 here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=73727421&postcount=13
    ask66
    Agree, I've O2 PAYG emergency use, never topped up since initial tenner about 3 years back. I make the conditional payable call every 3 months or so, just a text to another phone does the job for me
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • sdduk
    sdduk Posts: 1,419 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic

£20 per year is over 55 minutes per month... This is not occasional use!

Asda is a way better deal. They charge more: 8/4/5 BUT a top up can be as low as £1 (using a debit or credit card) AND "As long as you make one chargeable call, text or use a bit of mobile data every 180 days the credit on your phone will not expire."

So, send a text message every 4 months (just to be safe) and it will take you 83 years to use up the £10 that O2 expect you to give them every 6 months. Now that's what I call occasional or back-up use. Just set a reminder somewhere to send a text from your back-up/occasional use SIM so that you don't forget!!!

Also...

1. Why in the world is Lebara Mobile (19/19/9) recommended over Asda (8/4/5), GiffGaff (15/5/5), ID Mobile (3/2/1) or many others? Even Vodaphone's "Pay As You Go 1" tariff (20/20/4) is better because at least it is capped at £1 per day if you really want to go to town. Then there is this from their terms and conditions: "60. If you do not use the Pre-Pay Services to make at least one chargeable event or outgoing call for a period of 84 days, this Agreement will be deemed to be terminated by you, and the Service will be disconnected."
    Lebara Mobile has got to be the worst recommendation I have ever seen on this site.

2. If you are going to recommend 1pMobile for low use then you really MUST warn users that the minimum top-up is £10 and it has to be made once every 4 months to keep your number. It is this combination that is THE gotcha for occasional users as they not only lose their money but their phone number as well. Although it is important to note that some companies give a very short grace period where you can recover your number but not your balance. I think that Asda offers the longest that I have seen at 90 days (this may not be the current grace period) but many/most, like Lebara and 1pMobile, give zero days grace and really are not appropriate for occasional/back-up use.

In summary:
    With Asda you have to spend 8p per year.
    With O2 you have to spend an average of £1.67 a month.
    With 1pMobile you have to spend £2.50 but you get more for your money.

Occasional Use vs Low Use
    Low users have a very different requirement to occasional users or people who just want a back-up/emergency phone. Low users are people who actually use their phones regularly - just not very much. They are a difficult bunch to generalise for but a good rule of thumb is:

If your Asda bill is more than £1.67 a month then move to O2.
    If your O2 bill is more than £2.50 a month then move to 1pMobile.

This is why I would rank them as Asda (best for very low users), O2 (best for low users), 1pMobile (best for modest users).

Finally
    If your bill is more than £5 per month change to pay monthly. I personally dislike bundles and find the huge variety out there difficult to keep up with. They are also difficult to manage and, nowadays, rarely as good value for money as the best pay monthly deals.

Don't know where you get that you have to top-up O2 sim every 6mths i have not topped my O2 sim up for over 2yrs i still have money on it and only use it for thing's i sign-up for on-line but i do make a call now and then to keep it alive.
    Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody, therefore I am Perfect.
    :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure