Car Insurance HUGE Price Increase?

Options
Kovu456
Kovu456 Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 18 October 2018 at 6:33PM in Insurance & life assurance
So I’m buying a new car soon, and I have been trying to find which Insurance company is the cheapest. Last week, I was getting quoted £1,400 which was the cheapest I could find for an Audi A3 2.0 Black Edition. My mum will be the policy holder as she has 8 years NCB, I’ll be the main driver and my dad will also be on the insurance as a named driver.

I’ve searched for Insurances again and now I’m getting quoted £3,500+ even if I decrease my annual mileage or increase the actual start date of the insurance. I’ve used the exact same information which I used last week but I still don’t know why the prices have increased so much.

Is it because of the time of year? Or is it because the number of times I’ve been trying to find quotes is A LOT, since last week I was using CompareTheMarket so many times to try to find the cheapest quote.

Should I wait 2-3 weeks and not go on CompareTheMarket until after 2-3 weeks and see if they’ve gone down?

Thanks

Comments

• swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kovu456 wrote: »
    So I’m buying a new car soon, and I have been trying to find which Insurance company is the cheapest. Last week, I was getting quoted £1,400 which was the cheapest I could find for an Audi A3 2.0 Black Edition. My mum will be the policy holder as she has 8 years NCB, I’ll be the main driver and my dad will also be on the insurance as a named driver.

I’ve searched for Insurances again and now I’m getting quoted £3,500+ even if I decrease my annual mileage or increase the actual start date of the insurance. I’ve used the exact same information which I used last week but I still don’t know why the prices have increased so much.

Is it because of the time of year? Or is it because the number of times I’ve been trying to find quotes is A LOT, since last week I was using CompareTheMarket so many times to try to find the cheapest quote.

Should I wait 2-3 weeks and not go on CompareTheMarket until after 2-3 weeks and see if they’ve gone down?

Thanks[/Q

You may need to rethink that.
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 October 2018 at 9:27PM
    Options
    Seditious Libeller is right.
  • Seditious_Libeller
    Options
    If OP declares themself as registered owner and keeper and as main driver that's not fronting and is potentially acceptable. Fronting is the situation where the OP fails to declare themself as main user and and puts themself as a named driver. My wife is the main user on my car - she drops me to the station and picks me up each day. The idea that would constitute fronting is ridiculous.

That said, most insurers will significantly load a premium where the policyholder is not the owner and keeper of the vehicle (if they even quote at all due to not recognising the insurable interest) or is not the main driver. While not fronting, insurers can see straight through it.

I would suggest that the OP consider three things next: firstly, that they have correctly declared that their mum is not the owner/keeper, secondly that their mum has 8 years NCB available to use and that it is not being used on another car (many people inexperienced in insurance fail to appreciate they can't use the same NCB on two vehicles at the same time,) and thirdly that sooner or later the OP will have to bite the bullet and insure in their own name unless they intend on living with mum and dad forever.
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Surely as the OP is down as main driver his NCD should count....not his mother's?
  • Reardoa
    Reardoa Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    No they can use the mums NCD as they are the policy holder. The downside for the OP is that while its fine to do what they have they aren't earning any of their own NCD.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Does your mother not have a car to use her NCB on?
  • AnnoyedGuy
    Options
    Have you tried other comparison websites & have you gone direct to providers to see if it all checks out there too?
  • Kovu456
    Options
    Forgot to reply to all you guys, but it's fine now, I've just decided to be the policy holder and main driver, and parents as additional drivers! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure