second job and tax?

Options
Hi Guys

Currently in a job that I am happy with £16.3 per year, mon-fri, I would like a little extra and have £2,000 on my credit card I want to wipe off.

I was thinking of a 2nd job maybe after work or Saturday and sunday

would this make a big inpact on me tax

also I was looking at jobs like mine around 18k but my job is very easy and some jobs are more hitting targets etc etc

what would the difference be between a 16.3k and part time or a 18k alone job?

I only wanted a bit of extra cash for the next few months to pay my card so was looking towards the 2nd job option.

thanks

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You’d pay 20% but that’s unavoidable.

The difference would be minimal; except your second job might not attract NI.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    You’d have your tax off. You shouldn’t be charged national insurance as that’s per job I think so it would just be £20p in every quid from the off as they might keep your tax allowance on your first job, they do split it at times but it makes little difference.

In regards to difference in wages if you swap jobs put it in listentotaxman and it breaks down the difference. Screenshot it then you can flick between the two to see the difference
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • Comms69
    Options
    You’d have your tax off. You shouldn’t be charged national insurance as that’s per job I think so it would just be £20p in every quid from the off as they might keep your tax allowance on your first job, they do split it at times but it makes little difference.

In regards to difference in wages if you swap jobs put it in listentotaxman and it breaks down the difference. Screenshot it then you can flick between the two to see the difference

NI is charge on any job where you earn more than ~£115 per week, and it's charged on a weekly basis.
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,053 Forumite
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    NI is charge on any job where you earn more than ~£115 per week, and it's charged on a weekly basis.

The current point at which NI is payable is £162 per week (primary threshold PT), Earnings between £116 (Lower earnings limit LEL) and £162 per week have no NI deducted but are treated as if it had been paid on these earnings.
    Details can be seen here....
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rates-and-allowances-national-insurance-contributions/rates-and-allowances-national-insurance-contributions
  • Comms69
    Options
    chrisbur wrote: »
    The current point at which NI is payable is £162 per week (primary threshold PT), Earnings between £116 (Lower earnings limit LEL) and £162 per week have no NI deducted but are treated as if it had been paid on these earnings.
    Details can be seen here....
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rates-and-allowances-national-insurance-contributions/rates-and-allowances-national-insurance-contributions

Thank you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport