AMEX Passport Required?

2»

Comments

• msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Cannot understand the obsession with Amex.

Hardly anywhere in this country accepts it as payment, and they charge you a whopping £450 a year for the privilege, oh, but you do get points, nice Samsung TV only 153,880 points.......Hmmm thats one point a mile, how many miles to the shops...!!

What ignorant drivel. You might want to try finding out some facts before you make a fool of yourself.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,442
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    edited 29 August 2018 at 7:25AM
    Very few places don't take Amex. B&Q, Lidl, and Dunelm are the only major retailers I have come across that don't take it.

All the major supermarkets take Amex, even Aldi.

Wickes take Amex in store but not on line, but when ordering on line you can use PayPal and have it charged to an Amex card. The PayPal option works for lots of small on line retailers too.

Locally, my farm shop, dentist, barbers shop, garden centre, Indian Restaurant, and pub, all take Amex.

And the benefits of Amex cards are exceptional.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,681
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    OP - I'm curious if you ever sorted this out. Let us know
  • sourcrates wrote: »
    Cannot understand the obsession with Amex.

Hardly anywhere in this country accepts it as payment, and they charge you a whopping £450 a year for the privilege, oh, but you do get points, nice Samsung TV only 153,880 points.......Hmmm thats one point a mile, how many miles to the shops...!!

Almost everywhere accepts Amex, so not sure where you're shopping! There are a few exceptions yes, but I'd hardly say that 'hardly anywhere' accept it.

Using the points, presuming you mean Membership Rewards points, to buy good from their online catalogue is not great value. The best value tends to be in airline miles and the like, have a read on Headforpoints.com for more info on this topic, there's an article dedicated to it somewhere.
  • Spies wrote: »
    I applied for an AMEX but they've asked me to send a council tax bill and my passport, but I don't have a passport, they won't accept my driving license as proof of identity as they sent another letter today asking for a copy of my passport again.

What can I do? Do I have to have a passport in order to apply for an AMEX?

Seems a little bonkers.

OP, if it helps (which it probably won't), I experienced the same when moving from UK to Australia. Never had an issue with Amex in the UK, they were able to verify everything electronically, so I'd expect it to be something like your not being on the electoral roll, or your address being slightly obscure and difficult to match.

When I moved to Australia, I used global card transfer, which is great and practically guaranteed my acceptance, despite lack of credit history here then. As such, they wanted lots of proof, recent payslips and ID verification (in the form of driving licence and passport, certified copies nonetheless), so it was a bit of a lengthy process, but was worth it in the end.

The rewards from Amex cards far outweigh those from anything else on the market, especially in the UK now, with the EU interchange fee cap (which was pushed for by the UK, this isn't an EU bashing post, although I disagree with the cap).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure