Is £28,000 Liveable in London

2»

Comments

• the89er wrote: »
    Is an annual salary of £28,000 liveable in London, especially if you're renting a place to stay alone?
    How old are you and how experienced at the job? What sort of job?

In reality you need to share on that income - its just too tight otherwise. On the plus side you probably don't need a car - I find London way cheaper for transport to work than living in other cities.

If you are pretty young and building a career please don't let people put you off moving to London. There are often good prospects to increase your salary, and if not you get to see the sights for a couple of years and then leave with some experience.
  • the89er
    the89er Posts: 19 Forumite
    Thank you for the comments.

So the consensus is that £28,000 is possible but would make life in London difficult. Unless I flat share.

So how high of a salary do you need to live on to have a comfortable lifestyle in London (zone 2/3)? I've heard/read it's at least £31,000 - can anyone verify please? Does that mean £30,000 is low as well?

And about living in cities other than London (especially when renting a flat on your own and not flat sharing with anyone else), how do you work out your required salary? I've read that 1/3 of your salary should be dedicated to living (rents, bills, etc). Thanks.
  • the89er wrote: »
    Thank you for the comments.

So the consensus is that £28,000 is possible but would make life in London difficult. Unless I flat share.

So how high of a salary do you need to live on to have a comfortable lifestyle in London (zone 2/3)? I've heard/read it's at least £31,000 - can anyone verify please? Does that mean £30,000 is low as well?

And about living in cities other than London (especially when renting a flat on your own and not flat sharing with anyone else), how do you work out your required salary? I've read that 1/3 of your salary should be dedicated to living (rents, bills, etc). Thanks.
    Anywhere half livable in zone 2/3 - unless you flat share? I think you would struggle to have a decent life on less than £60k if you want a small one bed. But seriously - if you flat share £28k is fine. Loads of great things to do.

For other cities look on right move and see how much rental is and then check likely transport costs.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    JayRitchie wrote: »
    Anywhere half livable in zone 2/3 - unless you flat share? I think you would struggle to have a decent life on less than £60k if you want a small one bed. But seriously - if you flat share £28k is fine. Loads of great things to do.

For other cities look on right move and see how much rental is and then check likely transport costs.

I earn about 39k, live in zone 3 and share a 2 bed place with one other person and I manage. I could probably managed on about 31k in this current place at the lowest (especially if I didn't have credit card debt like I do!)

28k is half decent to be able to live in North West London in a house share, maybe a room in a 3 bed place in Zone 2-4 would be fine, with some disposable income to still have a life.

To live by yourself in a 1 bed flat I would say about 45k-60k. Rent for a 1 bed can vary from 1k to 1.3k a month in a half decent area, and that doesn't include bills which are about 200-300 a month. So to survive well I'd say you need around 2k-2.5k a month AFTER tax at the very minimum.

Unless you live in a rough area where it's a few hundred quid cheaper.

NHS workers can get subsidised accommodation, but there's a waiting list and they're a bit like student halls - my friend lived in one, and it was in central London for about £650/month inc most bills! (may be more now)
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,645 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Don't forget you'll need references for your landlord when it comes to renting.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think if you're willing to flat share then yes absolutely fine. I met lots of great friends and even girlfriends through flat sharing, and I actually think if you're moving to a new city it's not a bad idea to maybe help you meet people.

For me it really depends on what you like doing. You won't be eating at Le Gavroche every week, but if you get to like your local Ethiopian or Afghan restaurant and get to know the staff you'll enjoy that too and it won't cost you a lot to eat out; as cheap as anywhere in the uk.

You have world class Museums and Art Galleries for free on your doorstep, you can go to lectures for next to nothing, meet people from all around the world and all walks of life, go and see Shakespeare performed live for less than the cost of a pint. I go to concerts at Wigmore Hall which is a world renowned venue for £5.

I think rent is expensive, of course, but beyond that you can enjoy yourself on a shoe string if you're savvy about it.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    And I didn't mention career opportunities....
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Is £28,000 gross salary or net ?

If it is gross you are likely to take home £22,000 and rent & transport is likely to absorb over 60% of this depends where you are living.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure