* Step into Christmas * & 2020 - It's the 2020 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Happy New Year.

Picked up a couple more bits today for birthday gifts. Including a big baylis and harding set with tote bag and five products for just £5.

Also seeing as in work we can wear Christmas tops all through December I added more to my collection today in the sale from George for the mere sum of £4 for 3 tops

Although my not very MSE moment today was seeing some cans if different flavoured Fanta when I was in the local shop picking up a parcel. Was a big shock when he said it was nearly £6 for the four can I picled up. Hope they are worth it :rotfl:
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • Treasurequeen
    Options
    junior_j Sorry to hear about your seizure I know how you feel I suffer with them too but I,m under the umbrella of epilepsy.

I must admit I didn’t feel very Christmassy this year I couldn’t wait for it all to be over. I noticed a lot of people weren’t feeling the festive cheer this year either.

My Christmas decorations are nearly down apart from the tree, which will be put away before Saturday.

I did a stock take of what I had left regarding paper, I definetly don’t need to buy wrapping paper or accessories in the sales as I have enough for this year.
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to hear of the poorlies over New Year, hopefully things will improve soon and the rest of 2020 will be healthier xx.

All decorations are down and tbh it feels as if they were never up up, let alone that Christmas was only just over a week ago! We plan for it all year then its over in a flash- no wonder we sometimes feel deflated.

I haven't ventured out into the sales (its not the same since the January sales started happening in December) and I haven't seen anything online that takes my fancy either. I will need wrapping paper this year as I was down to tiny scraps at Christmas, but Ive decided Im going to reduce my Christmas card list so wont be needing those.

I spent yesterday morning sorting out subscriptions and various insurance renewals, just have both of our car insurances to sort out now but its a tad too early to get quotes for those. I managed to make savings on some but pet insurance has hiked over 125% as The Hound is getting on now (10) and is a high risk being a GSD. Hopefully I wont have to claim but it's better to have the ease of mind knowing it's there if needed.

The last few months have been a bit 'challenging' (for want of a better word!) for my family so I for one am looking forward to better things this year. DD and I have booked to go to Lisbon in early summer and are looking at Christmas market breaks- has anyone been to Strasbourg or Salzburg Christmas markets, or does anyone have any other suggestions? (We've been to Prague, Vienna and Cologne in previous years). Suggestions on a postcard....:rotfl:
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • junior_j
    junior_j Posts: 4,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    murie wrote: »
    Sorry to hear of the poorlies over New Year, hopefully things will improve soon and the rest of 2020 will be healthier xx

Murie
    Amen I hope every improves quickly x

I haven't ventured out into the sales (its not the same since the January sales started happening in December) and I haven't seen anything online that takes my fancy either. I will need wrapping paper this year as I was down to tiny scraps at Christmas, but Ive decided Im going to reduce my Christmas card list so wont be needing those.

I got 8 rolls of nice wrapping paper in Asda reduced from £2 each to 50p each , ironically they were the exact rolls of paper I looked at early in December but couldn't justify 2 quid a pop.

I spent yesterday morning sorting out subscriptions and various insurance renewals, just have both of our car insurances to sort out now but its a tad too early to get quotes for those. I managed to make savings on some but pet insurance has hiked over 125% as The Hound is getting on now (10) and is a high risk being a GSD. Hopefully I wont have to claim but it's better to have the ease of mind knowing it's there if needed.

The last few months have been a bit 'challenging' (for want of a better word!) for my family so I for one am looking forward to better things this year. DD and I have booked to go to Lisbon in early summer and are looking at Christmas market breaks- has anyone been to Strasbourg or Salzburg Christmas markets, or does anyone have any other suggestions? (We've been to Prague, Vienna and Cologne in previous years). Suggestions on a postcard....:rotfl:

I went to the Salzburg Christmas market years back. It's by far the most beautiful and memorable one I've seen.
    junior_j Sorry to hear about your seizure I know how you feel I suffer with them too but I,m under the umbrella of epilepsy.

I must admit I didn’t feel very Christmassy this year I couldn’t wait for it all to be over. I noticed a lot of people weren’t feeling the festive cheer this year either.

My Christmas decorations are nearly down apart from the tree, which will be put away before Saturday.

I did a stock take of what I had left regarding paper, I definetly don’t need to buy wrapping paper or accessories in the sales as I have enough for this year.

Thanks lovely. I hate epilepsy. In the past 7 years I've had over 50 yes 5 0 , operations , I'd rather them all again than have another seizure.
    Happy New Year.

Picked up a couple more bits today for birthday gifts. Including a big baylis and harding set with tote bag and five products for just £5.

Also seeing as in work we can wear Christmas tops all through December I added more to my collection today in the sale from George for the mere sum of £4 for 3 tops

Although my not very MSE moment today was seeing some cans if different flavoured Fanta when I was in the local shop picking up a parcel. Was a big shock when he said it was nearly £6 for the four can I picled up. Hope they are worth it :rotfl:

Were they the America type flavours ? Some are lovely some are rank. Pot luck , hope yours are lovely.
    NanMias - cyber granddaughter!
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Junior J- thanks for that, Im off to Asda this morning so will have a look to see if they have any left . Salzburg looks amazing and its good to get a personal recommendation x.
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wanted to get all the decs down and put the house back straight today, but husband was asked about us both going out this afternoon and sort of committed. :mad:

The boots husband bought me for Christmas have to be sent back too, he bought me some Uggs because they were a good price, in size 5. I have been a size 7 since I was a teenager and we've been married over 20 years. :doh:
  • princesskitty29
    Options
    Happy New Year all! We had a wild night here – on the sofa in our pj’s, sipping Prosecco and watching Emmerdale! :rotfl: It sounds like some of you have made a good start on Christmas prep for this year. :beer: I had an opticians appointment this morning so had a quick look in the shops whilst I was there and managed to pick up some good bits in the sales at Boots, Matalan and Next. I’m pleased as I’m being more careful about what I buy in the sales but happened to see some good stuff. I was really pleased as when I looked on the Matalan online sale I saw a rainbow shopper bag that was half price and would be perfect for my SiL, but when I went to checkout it had sold out, then I saw it in the shop today for the absolute bargain price of 50p! And it was the last one so it was obviously meant to be!

I’m slowly taking the decs down but I always leave at least my tree up until Twelfth Night on the 6th January. I’m going to take all the decorations down tomorrow then Wiggle wants to help me take the tree down after school on Monday.

3forholidays thank you so much for setting up the new thread and updating it, it is very much appreciated. I'm not making any set resolutions but I want to start caring less about the stuff that doesn't really matter in life and focusing on what does.

Welcome Abbafan, I hope everything was ok for your DH.

Welcome Chocolatedrinker, making gifts for Christmas is lovely, I try to do something every year. I made chocolate orange brownies for friends this Christmas and I’d like to make some things like chilli jam for next Christmas.

Welcome chanie! Sounds like you’ll fit right in will all of your Christmas prep!

Caz yes I noticed that, we usually always remark when we hit 100 pages but we were way off last year. :( Time was an issue for me last year, I always had so many things to do but I’m hoping I’ll have more time this year.

junior I’m so sorry to hear what happened, that is a rubbish end to the year and it must be horrible for you. Fingers crossed the neurologist can help. I hope the nightmares stop for you soon, that’s not very pleasant at all.

Redrobin sorry to hear you’ve started the year feeling poorly, as you say things can only get better! Sooner rather than later I hope.

Kerri I love the idea of celebrating the NY’s around the world! I’ll keep that idea for another NY. :D

murie sorry your family have had a challenging few months, it sounds like you’ve got some nice things planned for this year to look forward to. Sorry I haven’t been to any Christmas markets!
  • nic2075
    nic2075 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Happy New year everyone. And Hapoy New thread (thank you 3forholidays) here’s hoping 2020 is a good year.

I had a lovely time over the whole of Christmas. A busy house, lots of food and time to relax in between.

We have 3 new additions to the house, a hamster and 2 guinea pigs :D the kids had been asking all year for them. I didn’t really want to get them for Xmas, but I picked up a hutch cheap in November, so I decided to hide it and surprise them. But after doing lots of research I decided the hutch wasn’t suitable at all. So I’ve spent last week building a cage for them using lots of you tube ideas. The girls picked the piggies up this week and they are over the moon. Also made a nice home for the hamster in a fish tank instead of a tiny shop bought cage. Just trying to get into a routine to make sure they all look after them and not leave it to me. At the moment my 8 yr old Dd has been great and getting up early to cut the veggies up for the piggies. Hopefully once school starts on Monday they will get into a better routine and take turns.

I have a bought a few things in the sales. I got a nice black jacket in primark down to £10. And a couple of pairs of nice trousers from New look for £8 each. I wanted these for work really. I feel I have more of a work wardrobe now. It’s so hard after wearing a uniform for years. Plus I usually love in jeans/jeggjngs top and a cardi.
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
  • nic2075
    nic2075 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I feel more positive going into the new year. Trying not to worry too much about what’s happening in the world. I find it hard when watching the news, I get bad anxiety worrying about everyone and worrying about what could happen to us. So for the new year I have unfollowed a few fb groups and am going to try and cut back on watching the news.
    I also love starting my diary for the year. I feel more organised and confident seeing plans I have for the future.

I picked up a lovely book in a charity shop. Anyone read it? It’s “A Simple abundance, a daybook of comfort and joy” by Sarah Ban Breathnach. You read a bit every day. It’s a lovely calming book. I’m trying to take bits from it and put into practice. I’ve had it a few weeks and started at the back in December. It helped me relax a bit and enjoy Christmas and not be too stressed by it all
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    nic2075 when I was a kid we kept my hamster in a fish tank too, it meant all the sawdust didn't get kicked out and also we'd read with cages at the time that they could get their paws trapped between the bars. I do recall though that they little git worked out how to climb up and nose off the black lid so my dad cut a bit of Perspex (with holes obv) that could be clipped under the two black edge pieces of the tank top...which scuppered Houdini's plans for the great escape. He lived til about 2 1/2 so did pretty well (even if I wasn't very good at looking after him, something I still feel bad about over 30yrs later). What's your little chap called?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family