PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2020 - banish the clutter

Comments

• Willowtree222
    Willowtree222 Posts: 7,694 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 January 2020 at 9:21PM
    I'm surprising myself. Normally, I get a bag full together, go through it about five times before it goes anywhere and then it leaves me house with about 2 items in it because I have put the rest back.

I have no idea where this is coming from, so I am making the most of it and actually getting them out of the house before I go back through them. x

Does finishing a bottle of Baileys count to ensure that it is one more item leaving the house? :rotfl:

xx
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • stellata
    stellata Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    At least 5 boxes cut open folded flat and jammed into the green bin. Also an old overall, rubber gloves and a few cloths in the bin, used for a dirty drain cleaning job and not worth washing to use again. That's another 10 items in all. I've got a duvet cover 3 sheets and a pillowcase in the car to go to the homeless hostel next week so 15 out altogether. Off to have a small rummage upstairs to see if I can add anything to the charity box for tomorrow. I'm on about 200 items so far this year and I REALLY THINK I CAN DO IT THIS TIME!!!!
    Magnolia Stellata
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Tried to deliver CS items to CS today but they have been inundated and are closed for donations for about a week. They are, however, happy to take the Xmas items when they reopen to donations :T

Xmas decs/ trees and outside lights all down and sorted - just need to go back in garage loft tomorrow.

Plan to re-do bookshelves to Z1ff1t tomorrow and see if they want any of the discards :)

1. Jar of homemade apple butter – too clove-y in flavour and no-one liked – emptied into food waste bin and jar recycled
    2. Blouse – love the fabric, hate style when on – CS
    3. Small storage cube/ drawer – CS
    4. Jumper – CS
    5-6. 2 mugs – CS
    7- 11. 5 ‘work/ business’ shirts – CS
    12 -14. 3 new (still in packaging) Xmas decs – CS
    15-17. 3 Xmas ornaments – CS
    18. small evening bag – CS
    19-20. 2 old lingering (and dodgy-looking) jars of HM chutney – contents to food waste, jars recycled
    21. Collection of old & tatty fridge magnets - bin
    22. pile of Xmas cards turned into tags – remains recycled/ binned , as appropriate
    23-33. 11 bars of ‘ood’ soap (hotel/ small bars) turned into laundry ‘gloop’
    34. broken Xmas ornament – bin
    35. unwanted Xmas present (still tagged)– CS
    36. bottle of prosecco – finished and recycled (has been around for 18+ months, so am counts as clutter!)
    37. broken toy – binned
    38 -39. 2 packs of stencils – CS
    40. Table runner – CS
    41. BN cuddly toy – CS
    42. Several broken Xmas window gel-stickers – binned
    43. small handful of broken/ very tatty tree decorations/ baubles – binned
    44. pinecones used as decorations – garden waste bin
    45. Father Christmas shaped decorative biscuit tin – recycled
    46. snapped outside Xmas lights – binned
    47. broken (very cute) reindeer ornament – binned
    48 -49. 2 Xmas presents ret’d to shop
    50. old disposable tablecloth (bought around 16 years ago for 20p!) – used for sharing curry meal on NYE with friends and then binned to ease cleaning up!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • IrishRose12
    IrishRose12 Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    elsien wrote: »
    Started on the Study of Doom.

1 bag of rubbish for the tip - there's only so many bits of polystyrene you can hang onto "in case it's needed for packaging".
    I bag of dignity products for the food bank.
    1 bag for the charity shop.
    1 bag of material bits. Would love to donate to anyone who might find them useful for craft type activities but schools don't seem interested any more so they will probably end up recycled.

Tally so far, 12 bags.
    I know my school would - you never know when it may come in handy. I'm Devon. Otherwise ask a couple of nearby schools or high schools if you can first!

Same here, the school I work in are always grateful for donations of anything from old shool uniforms to toys or items that can be used for craft stuff. We've been known to throw a load of cardboard boxes, toilet roll tubes, and bits of scrap material on a table and let the kids loose on it. Its amazing what they come up with!
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2024 £537/£3,500£1 a day challenge 2024 - £91/£730 Declutter a bag a week in 2024 6/52Lose 24lb - 3/24lbs Read 1 book per week - 5/52Pay off credit card debt 7/100%
  • jacwins
    jacwins Posts: 545 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just in case you don't know this, my aunt has macular degeneration and finds watching TV using HD helps. I can't usually see any difference but she says the difference is amazing

Thanks for this, my soon to be 101 year old Nan has macular degeneration. I will ask my Dad to make sure the channel numbers she presses on the remote are all HD channels.
    Thanks for all your posts, sprinkle of luck required now.
  • I’d like to join in with the decluttering. I think I’m going to aim for 20 bags to start with.

Last weekend I dropped a load of handbags and a few books off at the charity shop but I’m not going to include them in my total as it was still 2019 and it was items I was storing at my parents. I’m going to continue to sort and rethink the items I have at my parents every time I visit but will not be including it in my total.

The 20 bags will only include items that are in my flat. The first bag is ready to go and is mainly clothing with a few decorative Harry Potter items. I plan to drop it at one of the many charity shops in town on Sunday (free parking that day).

I think the bookcases will have to be next as they are overflowing. I plan to take my unwanted books into work and see if anyone wants them before looking at maybe selling them.
  • Evening All
    I've been at work for 2 days, so progress slow. But all the choccies and biscuits I'd bagged up to go to communal kitchen at work have gone and most of the paperwork I had gathered for shredding has been shredded and flung. Also, the bits I'd bought for work colleagues' birthdays hidden away in work desk drawer, so out of the house.
    I've gathered up Christmas cards and made next year's gift tags from them, leftover bits recycled. Dropped a birthday card off for BIL, so one gone from stash, just popped him some pennies in to spend as he wishes.
    Hopefully a bit more will be achieved over weekend, Christmas decs are coming down, so I'll see if anything not used this year can go, although I have culled over recent years, so probably not much....
    Well done everyone!
    Guineapigsqueaks x

Keep Smiling :)
  • dallam20
    dallam20 Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Well done on everyone’s decluttering achievements. Enjoying following the thread.

Bit more decluttering done here too
    Bag 3 - out of date toiletries cleared from wardrobe
    Bag 4 - old-mismatched crockery out. Had far too much anyway.
    Bag 5 - very bulky fluffy coat borrowed by daughter sent back to owner.

Threatened DD2 I will clear her room unless she gets on and does it herself - her response ‘ go for it mum ‘ !! She may regret saying that.
  • Marpau
    Marpau Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Washing basket emptied washed line dried and fluffed and folded hopefully not so much to iron tomorrow.
    Pennies decluttered at sm

29-31 sachets of moisturizer body scrub and body lotion
    32 Christmas cards recycled
    33 electronic clutter unsubscribed from several newsletters

Thanks for the cheerleading Mrs SD it is so motivating
    🏅 x 1
    🌟 
    Declutter 150/2022
    Treat jar £92.63

• stellata
    stellata Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post