PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I think we're all Brexit "war weary" now, whichever way we voted. I just want to see the referendum result implemented as soon as possible so that parliament can stop being a one horse issue and start concentrating on all the other important problems which need to be addressed in our country.

I'm sad that trust in our democratic system and our politicians has been reduced to an all time low and right now, as somebody who has always exercised my democratic right to vote, I have no idea who I would vote for if a General Election were called. In my view it's a very dangerous thing when a country's democratic system starts to be held in such contempt and low esteem.

Rant over!. Must go and do something useful like sowing vegetable seeds !
  • I think I'd, at this moment in time, vote to stop the world so I could actually get off!
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I think I'd, at this moment in time, vote to stop the world so I could actually get off!

:rotfl::rotfl: me too. I am just fed up with the whole shebang. I can barely watch the news now.

Primrose......youve hit the nail on the head for me. It is indeed very worrying when we lose our faith in democracy. Not voting, not engaging with the political process is dangerous, that's how tyrants and despots seize power, they spot a vacuum and then muscle in.

But like so many have said......just who is worthy of my vote. I can't see anyone I would trust.

What saddens me most though is that we are great nation but currently we must be a laughing stock. No one ever thought that Brexit would be easy but I genuinely think the infighting and the vitriol we are seeing does no one any favours.

Speaking of loo rolls......I did notice stocks were low in Asda yesterday. Other than that I've not noticed any shortages.
  • DryTheRain
    DryTheRain Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Worth knowing - the govt's no deal contingency plan Operation Yellowhammer will go live on Monday if nothing's been decided by then. This hasn't been too widely reported yet, so again I'd suggest looking to fill any gaps asap. I did a rough audit yesterday, and it was surprisingly uneven in places; plenty of soup beans and sardines, but more fruit and veg required, spare tin opener too. Fingers crossed x
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 March 2019 at 1:01PM
    Not knowing what a yellowhammer might be (guessing a bird) I googled it & am charmed to see, yes, it's a bird
    Often seen perched on top of a hedge or bush, singing. Its recent population decline make it a Red List species
    Blimey, what do I have to do to get Politicians onto a red list? Note to self, take steps on water. Even if it is only checking times & prices of the local pool & launderette. I can then convince the chaps to be more careful as that's the equivalent of a tenner & rising etc.

MrsLW, hang in in there - the world rotates for a reason and every rotation brings those awaited grandchildren nearer. Says she firmly believing same & with all three lads not even in relationships (that I now of) yet!

Plus there are indeed seeds to coax towards germination, thank you or reminding me Primrose!

If I go on any more shopping runs 'with a bit extra for the cupboard' I think my husband may start accompanying me (and he Hates Shopping). I usually get tinned tomatoes & Max & cooking oil by the galore as we go through it, but he's beginning to complain.
    Eyeing that Tesco belated stockpiler, I think my husband is getting off lightly - I am not loyal to any one supermarket & I don't binge shop!
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Out,_Vile_Jelly Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 March 2019 at 1:19PM
    I still can't make up my mind whose fault any of it is except a little dawning thought that if David Cameron hadn't actually allowed the initial referendum we'd not be in this absolutely ludicrous situation today!

Cameron only allowed the referendum because he assumed Remain would win. So a vote with massive consequences was initiated with no actual planning for one of two results. He then resigned and left the mess for others to sort out (civil servants doing the grunt work while politicians squabble to salvage their careers) . Shocking cowardice and lack of moral responsibility that I'm sure will come to define him, as Tony Blair's Iraq decision is his legacy.

Anyway, I'm doing a regular shop tonight, and will add a couple of Ebola/Brexit Cupboard extras as usual.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Eh up lads and lassies, we're British, we'll be OK whatever happens won't we? and we'll do it on our own I suspect. I'm OK D for V and looking forward to the two new to be Grandpickles in the fullness of the year I think I've just got Brexit overload and like all of us wish there was an ending in sight, any ending will do, all I would like is to know when it's going to happen. Currently feels like we're all in Groundhog Day doesn't it?
  • DryTheRain
    DryTheRain Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Groundhog May innit :-)))))
  • Zentimes
    Zentimes Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think no matter what shortages we do or don't have to endure over the next few weeks or months, compared to the situation in Mozambique right now, we've got nothing to worry about, at least, not in terms of losing our homes, starvation or disease. So yes, we'll be OK, I'm sure of it. :)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    DryTheRain wrote: »
    Groundhog May innit :-)))))
    :D Brilliant!

Errr, I read something that Wepa, the leading supplier of TP and kitchen rolls, have noted a 7% increase in TP sales into the UK recently.

Guilty as charged, m'lud.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family