Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    ossie48 wrote: »
    I was paying £34 a month for Sky Sports, Skysports HD , Entertainment, Box sets, HD and kids at least that's whats listed.

Contract ran out and it went up to £68.I love my footie and golf so really didn't want to lose it. Also have an OLED TV and to be fair the Sky picture quality is excellent.

Threatened to cancel in online chat and now paying £35 a month for the next 18 months. I appreciate I might have done better if I actually cancelled and went through the whole process as i did last time (for exactly the same result) but I was struggling with people saying the 50% off wasn't happening.....I got it straight off on online chat so took it.

I had the same package @ £30 plus Sky Go extra @ £4.
    I have cancelled and will allow it to run out on the 6th.
  • ossie48
    ossie48 Posts: 248 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 May 2018 at 9:05PM
    custardy wrote: »
    I had the same package @ £30 plus Sky Go extra @ £4.
    I have cancelled and will allow it to run out on the 6th.

Have they offered you anything yet presuming you cancelled at the start of the cancellation period?

Obviously I'm still within the cooling off period but made the mistake of letting the contract run out so would have to stomach the £68 payment (which has come out ) for the following month unless I acted quickly. The next payment has been adjusted down accordingly with the new contract.

It really hacked me off that they didn't notify me my contract was coming to an end.
  • You folks did better than me then.

I gave my notice, was offered package for £79 p/m instead of £102 (was paying £55) When I said no that was it, no counter offer or anything. Only offer that came after was the Entertainment & Cinema for £18.50.

Tried live chat earlier was offered my current package for £61 on a 12 month contract so I agreed. For reference package is:

Sky Entertainment
    Sky box sets
    Sky Cinema
    Sky Kids
    Sky Sports- Complete package
    HD
    2x Multiroom
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It really hacked me off that they didn't notify me my contract was coming to an end.
    It was not your contract coming to an end, though. It was the minimum term you agreed to. Your rolling contract of thirty days notice simply continued. They were under no obligation to remind you of this and, indeed, why should they?
  • ossie48
    It was not your contract coming to an end, though. It was the minimum term you agreed to. Your rolling contract of thirty days notice simply continued. They were under no obligation to remind you of this and, indeed, why should they?

Which is simply a play on words. Most people would understand exactly what I'm on about. Why not let people know when their "subscription" or minimum term commitment as you refer to is due to come to an end ? A simple e mail would have done.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Which is simply a play on words. Most people would understand exactly what I'm on about. Why not let people know when their "subscription" or minimum term commitment as you refer to is due to come to an end ? A simple e mail would have done.

I can't think of a single company that tells you when your discount and minimum term ends. I've no doubt there will be some but it's going to be a very small number.

Sometimes the customers do have to take responsibility for their own affairs rather than expect someone else do it for them.
  • frugal_dougal
    frugal_dougal Posts: 51 Forumite
    My cancellation goes live on the 6th. Just did online chat and was offered

entertainment £20
    box set £1
    HD £1
    sports £16.50
    sports HD £2

total £37.50

forgot to get them to add cinema so will try that too
  • frugal_dougal
    frugal_dougal Posts: 51 Forumite
    My cancellation goes live on the 6th. Just did online chat and was offered

entertainment £20
    box set £1
    HD £1
    sports £16.50
    sports HD £2

total £37.50

forgot to get them to add cinema so will try that too

Got them to add Sky Cinema and the total is now £38 for 12 months. Happy with that as it's £10 less than I have been paying for the same package.
  • ossie48
    I can't think of a single company that tells you when your discount and minimum term ends. I've no doubt there will be some but it's going to be a very small number.

Sometimes the customers do have to take responsibility for their own affairs rather than expect someone else do it for them.

Do you actually thinks its fair that these companies do not have to tell you when a contract / service comes to an end ? Insurance and power companies have been forced by regulation to inform consumers so why not broadband / TV and mobile?

Some companies have gone some way towards it. Plusnet , Virgin and numerous other companies will give you an advance notice of a direct debit which is the next best thing, why don't Sky.

Your last sentence indicates that you are so perfect of course you've never missed the end of a contract. Sometimes life gets in the way, especially when running a large house and looking after the affairs of elderly relatives.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Have they offered you anything yet presuming you cancelled at the start of the cancellation period?

Obviously I'm still within the cooling off period but made the mistake of letting the contract run out so would have to stomach the £68 payment (which has come out ) for the following month unless I acted quickly. The next payment has been adjusted down accordingly with the new contract.

Dont even bother discussing it. I'll let it cancel
    I just monitor my bills to see when the price changes. Yuo can look a couple of months ahead.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback