Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Comments

• GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    Hexane wrote: »
    The reality is that BEV will not change the face of humanity itself. Not yet.

Genetic engineering and AI (even just task specific AI) will

'Humans' in as little as 1-2 generations, if they are survive at all, will be as close to the humans of today as we are to chimps or rats

This claimitchange debate is pointless. Its people picking nits off each others backs thinking that is important while the species itself will face at least two true existential threats in my lifetime. AI and genetic engineering
  • GreatApe
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Why is the government avoiding subsidy free RE generation rollout, it makes no sense, and has to have deeper reasoning behind it. My belief is that low price CfD's for RE are embarrassing, and undermine their nuclear plans.

Errr..... sure conspiracy theory....or perhaps the fact that we already have most of what we need

There is no need for more nuclear or solar or tidal and no more should be built

Already as I type this right now today in this moment the UK is 72% non fossil fuel powered for its grid

And we have under construction 3.4 GW links to France 1.4GW link to norway and potentially another 2GW link to France to be approved. Plus a 3.2 GW dual reactor under construction.

So right now, the uk 72% non fossil fuel powered, guess what that figure would be when just that listed stuff which is being built comes online? Well close to 100%

We dont need to build more solar or biomass or tidal or onshore wind power because we will be very low FF with just finishing what is under construction
  • GreatApe
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that a CfD auction with bid caps around the average wholesale price, would work fine. That way, projects would get government support, better finance deals, and a minimum income guarantee, but not add any net burden to the subsidy pot. And this could happen today.

But we are already approaching mostly FF free grid and with what is under construction already we will get even more FF free grid

Also UK wholesale prices are likely to go down significantly as the 4.8GW of inter connectors under construction come online in the next 1-3 years and the additional ones under consideration comes online in 3-6 years.

Plus as you will be aware, while yearly average wholesale prices might be £50 (or whatever) now, and cheaper when the interconnectors come online, the new PV/Wind wont be outputting year round. They will mostly be outputting when other PV/Wind is outputting into a depressed wholesale market at those times. So subsidy free for PV or wind is not the year round wholesale price but the high-output of PV/Wind time periods when wholesale prices are much lower.

Let private individuals and companies build them and sell into the wholesale market and lose their own investments, dont force the government to pay for excess wind/pv which is not needed.
  • pile-o-stone
    pile-o-stone Posts: 396 Forumite
    I wish MSE would completely hide posts from users you have placed on your Ignore List.
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I wish MSE would completely hide posts from users you have placed on your Ignore List.
    Hi

...and remove the text from quoted posts from those users on ignore lists ...

But don't you just feel sorry for those resorting to desparate spin to support fossil fuel & other legacy generation & distribution vested interests to the hilt - it must be a terrible position to be in, a little like wearing intentionally itchy robes & performing near continuous self flagellation .... on second thoughts, maybe we shouldn't feel sorry, just sad! ..... :(

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Those posts are a bit like buses, they all come along at once. Mind you, none of them will take you anywhere useful..
  • GreatApe
    But I'd still argue the toss on cost though. That Fabia cost €4000 and I only sold it after 6 years as I was returning to the UK. Another £4000 on my Hyundai i20 which is still going strong after almost 6 years, fully ammortized and no need to change yet. Give it a few more years perhaps, but there is still no EV equivalent at anything near those prices.

EVs have to get to the lowest price points and the most popular car sold in the UK is the Ford Fiesta which can be had for £12,100 brand new

Arguments of reliability or lower fuel costs do not matter for the first owner who typically keeps the car for 3 years so it is still under warranted and fuel costs of 10p a mile are not important relative to capital cost

Where EVs shine is if self drive robo fleets could be used for 500,000+ miles then the cheaper fuel starts to add up and the higher capital cost can be amortized over many more miles and the vehicle capital cost can be cheaper because you do the mileage over 5 years
  • sunnykent
    sunnykent Posts: 9 Forumite
    Haven't seen this posted elsewhere - the government has published its response to the SEG consultation and is about to lay the legislation in parliament

For those of us (or maybe just me?) about to press the button on a new PV installation, this provides some clarity that the exporting options will extend beyond Octopus

I still can't link, but the consultation response can be found at
    assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/807393/smart-export-guarantee-government-response.pdf
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    sunnykent wrote: »
    Haven't seen this posted elsewhere - the government has published its response to the SEG consultation and is about to lay the legislation in parliament

For those of us (or maybe just me?) about to press the button on a new PV installation, this provides some clarity that the exporting options will extend beyond Octopus

I still can't link, but the consultation response can be found at
    assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/807393/smart-export-guarantee-government-response.pdf

I think a guaranteed 11p/kWh for export to new PV'ers seems fair.

It's based on level playing fields, and the government's own support for an older technology:

HPC CfD after 2019 index linking comes to £102/MWh (10.2p/kWh) and leccy distribution incurs a roughly 8% loss from centralised generation.

So demand side supply should, in a fair and equal world, get 10.2p x 1.08 = 11p/kWh.

There we are, all sorted, all fair, all level, hard to offer less. ;)
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but there is a interesting story being covered on BBC News today. Using electric vehicles and V2G on the Portuguese island of Porto Santo.

They are using modified Zoes, which charge in the day on public charge points from renewables (solar and wind), then feed back into the grid overnight to power homes.

There is enough power retained for the car to still be usable!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-48530488/the-solar-power-charged-electric-cars-making-money
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback