Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lindabea
    • By lindabea 16th Jan 20, 4:19 PM
    • 1,211Posts
    • 193Thanks
    lindabea
    Copy of Cheque
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:19 PM
    Copy of Cheque 16th Jan 20 at 4:19 PM
    A brief background first. My partner sent a cheque to HMRC as payment of unpaid tax. This has been cashed and cleared some 4 months ago. As his tax account is still showing the payment as outstanding, he rang them up yesterday to ask if they received the cheque. After several times being left hanging on the phone, their final reply is that they can't see the cheque on their system but will investigate further. This investigation will take two months.

Anyway, my question is this. In the event that they come back and continue to say that they have not received the cheque and no doubt they'll put the onus on him to prove payment, is it possible to obtain a copy of the cheque from his bank with details of the beneficiary account.
    Before doing something... do nothing
Page 3
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 19th Jan 20, 10:32 PM
    • 32,048 Posts
    • 19,919 Thanks
    xylophone
    to investigate the missing cheque
    But the cheque isn't missing? It has actually been presented for payment by HMRC!

It is the whereabouts of the money that has to be traced?
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 19th Jan 20, 11:10 PM
    • 6,193 Posts
    • 3,305 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    And the op's husband seems reluctant to check if it has found its way, in the circumstances, to the obvious place.
    • lindabea
    • By lindabea 20th Jan 20, 12:19 PM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    lindabea
    But the cheque isn't missing? It has actually been presented for payment by HMRC!

It is the whereabouts of the money that has to be traced?
    Originally posted by xylophone

I agree with you. The cheque isn't missing. I'm using the term loosely as that's how HMRC refer to it. HMRC have definititely cashed it, and now we have some proof from the bank that the money has been credited to an HMRC account.
    • lindabea
    • By lindabea 20th Jan 20, 12:28 PM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    lindabea
    And the op's husband seems reluctant to check if it has found its way, in the circumstances, to the obvious place.
    Originally posted by Dazed and confused

ON the contrary. My partner is doing all he can to resolve this issue, but HMRC are digging their heel in and is now saying that their investigations to find the payment (they haven't as yet admiited that they received the payment) will take to 11th March. Until then, I don't think there's anything else he can do, other than be regarded as a total nuisance if he keeps calling them. Fot now at least, our minds are at rest that the cheque/payment must be somewhere in their system.

Somehow, I'm waiting for a letter asking for the payment or be charged interest/fine for non-payment.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 20th Jan 20, 9:52 PM
    • 6,193 Posts
    • 3,305 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    As a P800 is an informal calculation HMRC have no right to charge interest or penalties for non payment.

Realistically the worst that would happen is that he could get a tax code for the next tax year (2020:21) including the tax owed. But there is a while yet before that tax code would be used so plenty of time for it to be resolved and a new tax code issued before that actually causes a problem. If it were to happen in the first place.

But I'm still not sure what harm could come from a quick phone call along the lines of, hello this is my old Self Assessment UTR, can you check if there is any credit left on my account?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,763Posts Today

6,773Users online

Martin's Twitter