Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dilby
    • By dilby 15th Jan 20, 10:00 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 6Thanks
    dilby
    No oil after service questionable?
    • 15th Jan 20, 10:00 PM
    No oil after service questionable? 15th Jan 20 at 10:00 PM
    Hi all -

My car was serviced 9 months ago (including an oil change) and now my car's engine oil is completely empty. I can't see any clear signs of a mechanical fault and the car is only 2 years old, so providing no fault is changed can I assume that the mechanics didn't actually change the oil as advertised? I'm no car expert but that seems like a lot of oil to go through in 9 months for quite a new car (I also work from home so don't do a lot of miles).

Thanks!
Page 4
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 19th Jan 20, 9:26 AM
    • 27,591 Posts
    • 27,772 Thanks
    AdrianC
    In warranty - if you've met the legal requirements, there is no issue.
    Out of warranty - yes, of course goodwill may change. But you're reliant on goodwill even with the servicing having been done at a franchise dealer.

And don't forget - many people think that getting their Honda serviced at a Vauxhall dealer is the same thing so long as they're part of the same corporate dealer chain and the Vauxhall dealer is a bit cheaper/more convenient. It isn't.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 20th Jan 20, 7:14 AM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    fred246
    I buy new cars and service them myself to make sure the job is done properly. I bought one in 2015 and it's only been to a garage for 2 MOTs. Just looking at my bills it has cost 130 for 4 services which includes
    4 Mann pollen filters
    4 Mann oil filters
    4 NGK spark plugs
    1 Mann air filter
    16 litres of Comma fully synthetic oil
    It's about a seventh of the cost of main dealer servicing. I may have invalidated the warranty for years 2 and 3 but it's had no problems whatsoever. No need for any warranty work. So I am in a great position now to continue to enjoy many years of motoring with it. I normally keep them for 15 to 20 years.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 20th Jan 20, 7:20 AM
    • 3,040 Posts
    • 2,102 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    I buy new cars and service them myself to make sure the job is done properly. I bought one in 2015 and it's only been to a garage for 2 MOTs. Just looking at my bills it has cost 130 for 4 services which includes
    4 Mann pollen filters
    4 Mann oil filters
    4 NGK spark plugs
    1 Mann air filter
    16 litres of Comma fully synthetic oil
    It's about a seventh of the cost of main dealer servicing. I may have invalidated the warranty for years 2 and 3 but it's had no problems whatsoever. No need for any warranty work. So I am in a great position now to continue to enjoy many years of motoring with it. I normally keep them for 15 to 20 years.
    Originally posted by fred246
    Well you are fortunate that you haven't had to rely on the warranty. Making glib comments that a poster that doesn't pop their hood frequently or at all should do their own servicing is at best unhelpful and at worst downright irresponsible and something that can only be down to a keyboard worrier with no sense of actual empathy for others.

We only have your word for the above. So would any future purchaser of a car self serviced from new. In short, I wouldn't touch your car with a very long bargepole nor would I advise anyone else to do so. Not least because you speak with such a lot of hyperbole that your word is not reliable.
    Last edited by Mercdriver; 20-01-2020 at 7:22 AM.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 20th Jan 20, 7:42 AM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    fred246
    Well you are fortunate that you haven't had to rely on the warranty. Making glib comments that a poster that doesn't pop their hood frequently or at all should do their own servicing is at best unhelpful and at worst downright irresponsible and something that can only be down to a keyboard worrier with no sense of actual empathy for others.

We only have your word for the above. So would any future purchaser of a car self serviced from new. In short, I wouldn't touch your car with a very long bargepole nor would I advise anyone else to do so. Not least because you speak with such a lot of hyperbole that your word is not reliable.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    You won't be able to touch my car with a bargepole. It's not for sale.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 20th Jan 20, 7:59 AM
    • 27,591 Posts
    • 27,772 Thanks
    AdrianC
    You won't be able to touch my car with a bargepole. It's not for sale.
    Just as well, because with no demonstrable history from new - just the word of somebody with... issues - nobody's going to want to touch it with Mercdriver's bargepole.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 20th Jan 20, 8:55 AM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    fred246
    Just as well, because with no demonstrable history from new - just the word of somebody with... issues - nobody's going to want to touch it with Mercdriver's bargepole.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    The only way for someone to get my car is by stealing it. Who's going to steal a car with no service history?
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 20th Jan 20, 3:25 PM
    • 3,040 Posts
    • 2,102 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    The only way for someone to get my car is by stealing it. Who's going to steal a car with no service history?
    The same kind that watch dodgy DVDs retrieved down the pub or online torrents. Many are poor quality and have people walking across the view. but "it's free innit"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,770Posts Today

6,695Users online

Martin's Twitter