Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 16th Jan 20, 4:03 PM
    • 3,782Posts
    • 7,432Thanks
    coffeehound
    What paperwork to shred ?
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:03 PM
    What paperwork to shred ? 16th Jan 20 at 4:03 PM
    At one time, there was advice to shred (or otherwise securely destroy) anything with your name and address on it. Is this still the case?

Be interested to hear what posters view as shred-worthy and what is considered not necessary these days. TVM.
Page 1
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 16th Jan 20, 4:49 PM
    • 2,072 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:49 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 4:49 PM
    I still shred anything with my name and address on it.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 16th Jan 20, 6:21 PM
    • 10,811 Posts
    • 16,279 Thanks
    -taff
    • 16th Jan 20, 6:21 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 6:21 PM
    Anything with a name and address starts the fire off.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 16th Jan 20, 8:06 PM
    • 4,002 Posts
    • 2,662 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 16th Jan 20, 8:06 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 8:06 PM
    I don't bother if it's just a name and address - that information is hardly secret.

I will shred or burn if it actually has personal information, or anything that could be used for fraud.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 16th Jan 20, 8:24 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 3,025 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 16th Jan 20, 8:24 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 8:24 PM
    My name & address is public knowledge, only stuff with private information is shredded.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • JimmyChanga
    • By JimmyChanga 16th Jan 20, 9:05 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    JimmyChanga
    • 16th Jan 20, 9:05 PM
    • 16th Jan 20, 9:05 PM
    I shred anything with a name and address. Yes, they may be able to get that information from some database but why make it easy for them. People can use bills as proofs as well to buy mobile phone contracts and the like.

If there's a lot of paperwork I usually just rip the name and address part out by hand and then throw them in the shredder at the end. The odd one just shred by hand.
    • Pollyflinders
    • By Pollyflinders 17th Jan 20, 8:42 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 510 Thanks
    Pollyflinders
    • 17th Jan 20, 8:42 AM
    • 17th Jan 20, 8:42 AM
    OH is paranoid about shredding anything with even a first name on, such as the middle part of Debenhams voucher letters.
    • Kiran
    • By Kiran 17th Jan 20, 9:37 AM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Kiran
    • 17th Jan 20, 9:37 AM
    • 17th Jan 20, 9:37 AM
    I shred most stuff but mainly because it gets composted so breaks down quickly. Not for any security reason, as mentioned above its pretty much all public knowledge
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Jan 20, 9:40 AM
    • 67,804 Posts
    • 396,721 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 17th Jan 20, 9:40 AM
    • 17th Jan 20, 9:40 AM
    I shred anything confidential - for general items I just rip my name/address bits off and shred those 2" square bits, putting the faceless/anonymous standard letters in the regular recycling.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 17th Jan 20, 9:48 AM
    • 3,782 Posts
    • 7,432 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Thanks for the posts - useful info. I have four large boxes of old papaerwork to go through so want to minimise the amount of shredding. Will follow the advice to remove just the name + address to shred on non-sensitive docs. Good news that the local waste company do accept shredding in the paper+card recycling bin, so that makes life easier.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 17th Jan 20, 11:34 AM
    • 1,649 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    dunroving
    Thanks for the posts - useful info. I have four large boxes of old papaerwork to go through so want to minimise the amount of shredding. Will follow the advice to remove just the name + address to shred on non-sensitive docs. Good news that the local waste company do accept shredding in the paper+card recycling bin, so that makes life easier.
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    You could look for paper shredding companies in your local area. Some of them aren't too expensive, and it would save you the hassle.

I shredded about 6 boxes of confidential documents and it took quite a long time. I had to keep stopping because the shredder was overheating.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • lewisa
    • By lewisa 17th Jan 20, 11:56 AM
    • 301 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    lewisa
    I shred everything. I'm not rich enough to be a serious target for anyone other than random mass automated attempts at stealing from me such as phishing etc, but anyone can be a target.

Whether you think it important or not seemingly innocuous letters from non-financial companies are useful to someone who is targeting you for social engineering purposes.
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 17th Jan 20, 4:04 PM
    • 1,887 Posts
    • 2,228 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    I use a Trodat Printy 4912 Self-Inking ID Protection Stamp to mask my NAD. Saves all that shredding.

Compensation/Refunds - 4,655 | Stooz Profits - 7,636 | Quidco - 4,365 | Tax Avoidance - 107,000
    All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • traineepensioner
    • By traineepensioner 17th Jan 20, 6:54 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    traineepensioner
    We just use a bucket of soapy water to render paperwork illegible. We mix general address stuff with more confidential paperwork and give it a good soak & squeeze and then off to the recycle bin......
    No longer trainee
    Retired in 2012 (54)
    State pension due 2024 (66)
    • missprice
    • By missprice 17th Jan 20, 7:06 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 127,457 Thanks
    missprice
    Oh I generally just burn it all. If it's too miserable to start burning stuff outside (or I like my neighbours) I shred or rip up and put in composter.
    But I do save it all until theres plenty to bother with.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,770Posts Today

6,695Users online

Martin's Twitter