IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Simple question

Comments

• fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,021 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well if you are convinced your son was wrong and must pay their inflated scam charge, he was also wrong in ignoring all letters after including the debt collectors so why do you think it's not wrong to pay them too?

At this stage you won't get them to go back to the £100 or they will be breaking their agreement with their debt collectors.

So as advised it's full amount at the moment ( which props up and supports their scamming and bullying) or ignore, your (or rather his) choice.
  • TOP_CAT wrote: »
    This has got to be a fake post .
    Note the post count .
    MSE has all sorts from all walks but this is a completely abnormal post .
    Its a attempt to convince based entirlely on personal opinion contradicting advice from a number of experienced people .

Suggest its a manipulative attempt too frustrate the regular posters ...targeting the knowledgable people on here that give up personal time to help others .

Oh my goodness, all I was asking was a simple question, and I have had my character and parenting skills assassinated.

I had no idea that there was this huge issue about parking tickets, I have only ever got one once before in my life, but yes I have always thought parking tickets are a rip off, but I assumed a legal rip off - but there to act as a deterrent. If the costs were not this high then everyone would just park where they wanted. Well that is what I have always assumed.

I am sorry you all think so lowly of me for my intended actions. I certainly never expected this barrage of abuse.

I will go and read through the thread you have all pointed out and see if I can find within it any reasonable grounds to get this fine / (or contract as people keep rudely pointing out to me) thrown out if we let it go to court.
  • fisherjim wrote: »
    It's not a "fine" it's a speculative invoice from a private company that farms money out of car parks just because it's easy money, they rely on drivers making mistakes or not conforming to their made up T&Cs.

He doesn't have a debt to the PPC unless a judge says so.

They won't accept a reduced payment the debt collection company are contracted on a no win no fee basis and want their chance to collect their part of the scam charge.

I have always thought NCP was a legitimate car park company - this car park has been there forever and well established, I just don't think we would have a leg to stand on, NCP must have everything watertight I would think. All this is new to me and am fed up with the tone of all the replies on here.

Yes you are right I should make him pay the £160, if this is all about my view on consequences, but £100 is enough of a lesson to him for personal reasons.
  • waamo wrote: »
    It's £160 or nothing at this point. The fact they are acting unlawfully doesn't seem to bother you though for reasons I can't work out.

Oh my goodness, all I was asking was a simple question, and I have had my character and parenting skills assassinated.

I had no idea that there was this huge issue about parking tickets, I have only ever got one once before in my life, but yes I have always thought parking tickets are a rip off, but I assumed a legal rip off - but there to act as a deterrent. If the costs were not this high then everyone would just park where they wanted. Well that is what I have always assumed.

I am sorry you all think so lowly of me for my intended actions. I certainly never expected this barrage of abuse.

I will go and read through the thread you have all pointed out and see if I can find within it any reasonable grounds to get this fine / (or contract as people keep rudely pointing out to me) thrown out if we let it go to court.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Its not a "barrage of abuse". Get over yourself.

Youve made a number of assumptions, one is that NCP do court (they dont, theyve dipped a couple of toes but far from common) or that anyone would hve to "LIE" as you insisted upon in order to write a valid defence.

NCP will state, because its in their contract with TRACE to do so, that once it is with TRACE, you have to pay TRACE. Not NCP. So your choice. Pay £160, or get your son educated in the world and know how to fight these charges.

These charges are so high *because they make loads of money that way* No actual parking management reason.
  • MistyZ wrote: »
    Make him pay the full £160. Not to ignore formal letters (in so far as anything to do with the parking scammers can be deemed to be 'formal') is probably the best life lesson he can get out of this.

You're determined to see 45 minutes daft parking as a crime - well that's your choice.

I wouldn't encourage my offspring to pay, I'd encourage them to fight this on their own, with the support of the forum. They'd learn a lot and as the process is a little onerous, they'd probably be very careful in the future. Come to think of it, if you're so keen for him to take responsibility, how come it's you who is asking the questions here, not him?

Stupidity, inattention etc. are one thing. The predatory, rule-breaking, guideline-ignoring, opportunistic, semi-legal, money-grubbing behaviour of the parking companies is quite another. They are not responsible companies, they are not worthy of respect. Other companies, other bodies have much to learn from them in terms of sheer exploitation of the public and they will if the parking companies are not challenged.

But hey, make him pay. You're just wasting good peoples' time here.

I just always thought NCP was a legitimate car parking company, not a scammer?
  • Its not a "barrage of abuse". Get over yourself.

Youve made a number of assumptions, one is that NCP do court (they dont, theyve dipped a couple of toes but far from common) or that anyone would hve to "LIE" as you insisted upon in order to write a valid defence.

NCP will state, because its in their contract with TRACE to do so, that once it is with TRACE, you have to pay TRACE. Not NCP. So your choice. Pay £160, or get your son educated in the world and know how to fight these charges.

These charges are so high *because they make loads of money that way* No actual parking management reason.

I just do not see a valid defence for clearly parking without paying, and I accept that charges have to be high or no-one would adhere to any regulations.

I don't want to pay in a million years, but also don't want to end up in court with massive costs if this all goes pear shaped.

I should have read through that thread and then maybe I would have seen NCP hardly ever go to court. If that is the case then maybe I will just do the SAR thing and ignore everything and see if a court thing comes up.

Thank you for your input, although I shall never get over myself, I hate that phrase.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    ostrich44 wrote: »

I just always thought NCP was a legitimate car parking company, not a scammer?

You keep repeating this but it simply isn't true. There is no "barrage of abuse" or anything resembling abuse.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The thread title says , simple question

You have now realised that this topic is not simple

You have also realised you have made far too many assumptions and been on a desert island for several years , but here on the mainland harsh truths are prevalent

It's a complicated topic , even for lawyers and politicians , but what you have to realise is that these companies are out to make life difficult for the unwary and that they have learned it's more profitable to operate on the fringes of the law

So they find ways to sc@m people by using the laws , or lack of them

But there is no doubt that a bilker should pay , in order to teach them a lesson , same as if they were speeding and were caught

Welcome to our world

To answer your simple question , no it's not possible to pay the default tariff once it's gone to a debt collector , or to a court
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    Ostrich - just becaus eyou dont see it, doesnt mean one exists. the truth is, you are too new to this to necessarily see every argument. Stick around - hell, even read the newbies thread properly - and your eyes may be opened to this

You keep repeating your assumption about why the charges are so high. Its wrong. Utterly, wrong. There is no management reason why the costs are pegged as they are. Its greed. Pure and simple, its greed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure