IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Simple question

Comments

• Do not be tempted to contact the debt collector - they are powerless.

Send a SAR to NCP to get all the info they hold.

In the meantime read the NEWBIES thread (one click back third thread down) to understand the game you have entered.

Again, it is clearly an NCP car park and has been for years, how can he get away without paying? Lodge a complaint saying what? That would mean lying. Or is that what everyone does to get out of paying these charges, I will go and read that thread and see if any excuse fits, but it won't . Or is it just a case of winging it and hoping they won't take to court.

There are pictures on the NCP letter clearly showing him arriving and leaving after 45minutes, what more evidence do they need.

I just want to pay the £100 ........................ how can I?
  • fisherjim wrote: »
    It's not a "fine" it's a speculative invoice from a private company that farms money out of car parks just because it's easy money, they rely on drivers making mistakes or not conforming to their made up T&Cs.

He doesn't have a debt to the PPC unless a judge says so.

They won't accept a reduced payment the debt collection company are contracted on a no win no fee basis and want their chance to collect their part of the scam charge.

It is pretty cut and dried with pictures of him arriving and leaving after 45mins to a clearly signed established NCP car park, so it will inevitably go to court I should imagine. Unless any of you know otherwise.

I don't expect the debt collection company to accept a lower charge, I just want to pay NCP the original £100............
  • Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Why would ANYONE pay it? These are easy to beat.
    Sorry to tell you but, as a Mum of four university student young adult (lovely and amazing!) kids, IMHO paying a scammer to make it go away, sets a really bad family example.

Be a role model. Don't fund scams for an easy life, it is not about paying them off.

Blimey, think you have got that back to front, why do people preach the high and might so easily in these forums..............

I AM NOT SETTING A "BAD FAMILY EXAMPLE" by telling my son he should pay the fine that is deserved for parking in a clearly singposted established NCP car park without paying, tantamount to theft.

But I would be if I told him to try and get out of paying it!!!!!

I have no intention of paying the debt collector, I want to pay the NCP. That was my question. Please read slower next time and see the question, and don't throw around comments about parenting.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It is not a fine.

Not paying the £160 to the debt collectors is the easy part. Ignore them.
    The only power they have is to send out poor quality bog paper.

The other part I simply don't understand. How is paying a scammer going to teach anyone anything other than being a bully gets you money?

You are not making any sense. Nobody here will support you in paying a scammer.

Have you read what our MPs have said about this unregulated scam? It's in red text in post 1 of the NEWBIES.

If you want to teach your kids something, teach them how to defend themselves against this scam. Make them do the work, the research, the appeals etcetera. Show them the consequences of their actions.

I don't agree with someone not paying to park on someone else's land, and your son needs to understand there are consequences, but paying a scammer to fund the scam so they can scam others just isn't on.
    If you pay the scammers then you will be perpetuating the scam and allowing them to scam others more vulnerable than your kids.

If you spend a day or two reading the posts on here you will soon realise how vile these predators are.

One company was filmed telling its employers to target vehicles outside a hospital cancer ward because the motorists would have other things on their minds.
    One was filmed carrying a portable No Parking sign, placing it next to cars, taking photos, issuing tickets, then walking off with the sign.
    One company was caught doctoring time stamps on its photo "evidence" to make it look like people were parking for longer than they really were.
    One company took down a sign supporting motorists parking at a medical centre during the appeal process.
    NCP illegally towed a car and ended up shelling out about £85k as a result, and you reckon their are operating a legit operation.
    One family was made homeless when they were refused a mortgage due to a PCN they had never received, and it wasn't even their car!

I could go on, but unless you come here every day and see the misery these companies dish out, you simply won't understand how disgusting this industry really is.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Fruitcake wrote: »
    It is not a fine.

Not paying the £160 to the debt collectors is the easy part. Ignore them.
    The only power they have is to send out poor quality bog paper.

The other part I simply don't understand. How is paying a scammer going to teach anyone anything other than being a bully gets you money?

You are not making any sense. Nobody here will support you in paying a scammer.

Have you read what our MPs have said about this unregulated scam? It's in red text in post 1 of the NEWBIES.

If you want to teach your kids something, teach them how to defend themselves against this scam. Make them do the work, the research, the appeals etcetera. Show them the consequences of their actions.

I don't agree with someone not paying to park on someone else's land, and your son needs to understand there are consequences, but paying a scammer to fund the scam so they can scam others just isn't on.
    If you pay the scammers then you will be perpetuating the scam and allowing them to scam others more vulnerable than your kids.

If you spend a day or two reading the posts on here you will soon realise how vile these predators are.

One company was filmed telling its employers to target vehicles outside a hospital cancer ward because the motorists would have other things on their minds.
    One was filmed carrying a portable No Parking sign, placing it next to cars, taking photos, issuing tickets, then walking off with the sign.
    One company was caught doctoring time stamps on its photo "evidence" to make it look like people were parking for longer than they really were.
    One company took down a sign supporting motorists parking at a medical centre during the appeal process.
    NCP illegally towed a car and ended up shelling out about £85k as a result, and you reckon their are operating a legit operation.
    One family was made homeless when they were refused a mortgage due to a PCN they had never received, and it wasn't even their car!

I could go on, but unless you come here every day and see the misery these companies dish out, you simply won't understand how disgusting this industry really is.

I get all that, but neither of us have the time to go through all this with the worry that HE WAS WRONG SO HOW WOULD WE FIGHT THIS IN COURT. THAT IS WRONG I WOULD BE TELLING HIM TO LIE IN COURT.............. there is no excuse for what he did. If we have to pay the debt collectors £60 or the alternative is to LIE and go to court, then I am afarid I will be the extra £60, TIME IS MONEY in our lives, and he did wrong, he has to pay. OF COURSE we don't want a debt collecting company to benefit, but what other course do I have when WE are in the wrong.

I think it is scandalous that it only takes 2 x letters, but both letters clearly stated what would happen.

YES, I would be up in arms if my son's case was anything like all the cases I read, but it wasn't HE WAS IN THE WRONG.

SCAM is the wrong word, clearly at the moment until the law changes the NCP has the right to get a debt collector to collect their money. It is not a SCAM. I am not teaching them to give money to someone who bullies them, he ignored 2 x letters asking for money with clear warnings this would happen. These are the consequences. I am not going to teach him how to lie to get out of it.

I hate the NCP and all they have done. But this was a car park with clear signs in a busy town, IF NO-ONE PAID for parking then who pays for the upkeep.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It's £160 or nothing at this point. The fact they are acting unlawfully doesn't seem to bother you though for reasons I can't work out.
  • TOP_CAT
    TOP_CAT Posts: 583 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 May 2020 at 3:45AM
    This has got to be a fake post .
    Note the post count .
    MSE has all sorts from all walks but this is a completely abnormal post .
    Its a attempt to convince contradicting advice from a number of experienced people .

Suggest its a attempt too frustrate the regular posters ...targeting the knowledgable people on here that give up personal time to help others .
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you think you should pay, then you should be looking at this:
    Cost of parking at the standard rate, plus £2.50 to cover the DVLA Vehicle look up, plus £10 admin fee (some hire companions charge this) and I bet that will less than the £100 odd pounds that NCP want
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It is quite likely that NCP don't own the land, so they have lost nothing if a motorist fails to pay.

After all this is over, even if the OP pays, the landowner still won't have got the money they were owed.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • MistyZ
    MistyZ Posts: 1,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 January 2020 at 3:57PM
    Make him pay the full £160. Not to ignore formal letters (in so far as anything to do with the parking scammers can be deemed to be 'formal') is probably the best life lesson he can get out of this.

You're determined to see 45 minutes daft parking as a crime - well that's your choice.

I wouldn't encourage my offspring to pay, I'd encourage them to fight this on their own, with the support of the forum. They'd learn a lot and as the process is a little onerous, they'd probably be very careful in the future. Come to think of it, if you're so keen for him to take responsibility, how come it's you who is asking the questions here, not him?

Stupidity, inattention etc. are one thing. The predatory, rule-breaking, guideline-ignoring, opportunistic, semi-legal, money-grubbing behaviour of the parking companies is quite another. They are not responsible companies, they are not worthy of respect. Other companies, other bodies have much to learn from them in terms of sheer exploitation of the public and they will if the parking companies are not challenged.

But hey, make him pay. You're just wasting good peoples' time here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure