Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

Comments

• sweetcarer
    sweetcarer Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Hello,

When Lidl put an orange sticker on an item - does that mean it is reduced - I couldn't see a price on it or is it automatically done at check out.

Thank you.
    :j cross stitch forever, housework whenever :j
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    sweetcarer wrote: »
    Hello,

When Lidl put an orange sticker on an item - does that mean it is reduced - I couldn't see a price on it or is it automatically done at check out.

Thank you.
    I asked this some time back and was told it does not.

My guess is that these are items that are pre-marked with a view to reduction at the end of the day of they haven't been sold. Its easier to scout out which items are nearing their use by date section by section during quieter times when there is less pressure to man a till, as this is the time consuming bit. Then just a case of picking anything remaining at the designated time and adding the 30% discount label before they have to be written off.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    maman wrote: »
    Pleased to see that Cherry Liqueurs have appeared in Aldi this week.:D

I've got about 5 left from my Christmas treats (crystallised ginger and marzipan are finished:().

Today, the cherry liqueurs were reduced to £1.49. I had them in my hand, and put them back.:A:D
  • od244051
    od244051 Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    sweetcarer wrote: »
    Hello,

Thank you.

I went to Lidl this morning and bought three meat items with an orange sticker with 30% off with the new price listed. All meat has tomorrow's date.

Noticed that beginning of the year, lots of fresh products are reduced as people are still eating their Christmas food
  • VfM4meplse
    Many of the Favorina Crimbo goodies were finally reduced to half price today. Cocoa dusted truffles (250g) - 79p, exp 03/2021. Chocolate balls 200g - 59p, exp 03/2030. Chocolate covered almonds 200g - 99p, exp 07/2020. Plenty to be getting on with :D

Small chocolate panettone - 39p and all gone!

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Elisheba
    Elisheba Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Chocolate balls 200g - 59p, exp 03/2030.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

What on earth is that chocolate made of? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Live the good life where you have been planted.
    Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2022 - 15 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2023 - 6 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2024 - 67 remaining out of 72 My Frugal, Thrifty Moneysaving Diary
  • VfM4meplse
    Elisheba wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

What on earth is that chocolate made of? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    My mistake, 2020 of course. Except the pack I bought didn't last for more than 5 days :o

• bhaskar
    bhaskar Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I asked this some time back and was told it does not.

My guess is that these are items that are pre-marked with a view to reduction at the end of the day of they haven't been sold. Its easier to scout out which items are nearing their use by date section by section during quieter times when there is less pressure to man a till, as this is the time consuming bit. Then just a case of picking anything remaining at the designated time and adding the 30% discount label before they have to be written off.

lidl use 20p/70p green stickers if same day date
  • od244051
    od244051 Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Parents were annoyed earlier when looking at my Lidl app that the Burns Night stuff was only in Scottish stores.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 January 2020 at 2:56PM
    Aldi Christmas goodies (mince pies, Christmas cakes etc) reduced now. I was hoping to get lucky with cheese but it wasn't to be.

Mincemeat with brandy 9p/jar. Don't think it will get any cheaper. :)Edit: BBE Sept 2021

Official MoneySavingExpert insert Tue 21 Jan:

An incredible deal. If you live near an Aldi, make sure to look out for extreme reductions like this. If you can score items with a long shelf life that might make it to next Christmas, even better.
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/store-finder

Big thanks to Owain Moneysaver for the spot! [purplesignup][/purplesignup]
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure