bitcoin trading.

Comments

• hildosaver
    hildosaver Posts: 360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Bravepants wrote: »
    Most of the limited audience for crypto currencies are probably now immune to the hype:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-10/bitcoin-is-a-disease-in-barclays-model-that-says-prices-peaked

The recent bubble won't happen again.

Well considering it has happened mutiple times since 2009 I think it would be foolish to suggest that another bubble will never happen. The recent bubble was just one of many over the years - I've been following bitcoin since 2014 and it was no more of a bubble than the one I saw back then.
    I am insane and have 4 mortgages - total mortgage debt £200k. Target to zero = 10 years! (2030)
  • hildosaver
    Aegis wrote: »
    If the value is right for now, why would it not be wrong in two years if the price goes up? The asset doesn't produce any underlying income and has no real application other than as a token of exchange, and if the mining continues there will be a larger supply in two years rather than a smaller one. As such, if the value was correct now, you'd expect the price in two years to be lower due to the expanded supply, not higher.

The value will increase as the technology develops and more and more users want to get involved in it. This is potentially an entirely new asset class in it's early development. Every day there is more and more adoption occurring around the world new businesses/apps, etc. being created - it is very much a massively growing area.

You go on to explain your thoughts on "why", but they don't make sense from an investment perspective.

Please see above

This should only matter if there's a practical use for the asset in question and should only actually take place with reference to a currency which is inflating. In other words, if inflation runs at 3%, you would expect a scarce but tradable asset to increase each year broadly by inflation where the supply stays broadly constant (i.e. where utilisation and introduction of new supply are similar).

Currently the use is that of a means of storing value outside of the banking system, free from regulation (though exchanges will get regulated) and due to a finite supply with a system that makes bitcoin more and more rare as time goes on. That in itself to many people has value. There will only ever be 21 million (full) bitcoin ever in existence and they reckon that several millions of these have been lost forever. Supply is finite.

There are plenty of assets out there which are scarce, but they're not expected to increase in value enormously. Why is bitcoin the exception?

Please see above - there can only ever be 21 million in existence. Name me another asset where the entire supply in it's history is set at a particular number?

Why do you expect bitcoin to benefit from this transformation? Is it really at all likely that entire economies will switch from currencies they control to a decentralised system with ever-increasing costs to run the network, coupled with an inability to process anywhere near the number of transactions a second needed to replace even a small trading currency, let alone a significant number of them? Is it not more likely that - if blockchain genuinely is the future of finance - central banks will instead create their own?

Mainly because it has already established itself within the space and has also got all the very best developers working on it. I believe that in the future banks will go crypto and it will become the norm to use it - if bitcoin can capture even 2% of that then it's value will be vastly greater than it is now.

Blockchain is the technology. Bitcoin is a prototype demonstration of that technology. You can have blockchain without bitcoin, hence the number of cryptocurrencies now in circulation.

The problem with prototypes is that they are supplanted by better implementations of the technology.

Bitcoin has the best developers in the space working on it and it is an evolving technology - I expect most alt coins to have died with any with good features basically assimilated into Bitcoin - there are already developments planned that will increase privacy, deal with any scaling issues and make things quicker and more efficient - all with Bitcoin.
    I am insane and have 4 mortgages - total mortgage debt £200k. Target to zero = 10 years! (2030)
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    hildosaver wrote: »
    It's current value is probably about right for now but I fully expect it to rise significantly again within the next 2 years. It will have future crashes back down as well but I expect every crash to stop higher than the last. It's in it's nature to grow in value due to it's scarcity and what I believe will be a transformation of finance over the coming years. Bitcoin is virtually unstoppable at this point nomatter what the value is. It's the technology of the future.
    But it has stopped. It’s been wandering down for months.

What the zealots pumping it never seem able to answer is why this particular incarnation should be worth any more than I is today. Even if it were used for every transaction on Earth, there’s no reason for it to appreciate.

The only possible reason to think that it will go up is that you think someone else will want to pay more for one in future than they do now.
  • hildosaver
    John-K wrote: »
    But it has stopped. It’s been wandering down for months.

What the zealots pumping it never seem able to answer is why this particular incarnation should be worth any more than I is today. Even if it were used for every transaction on Earth, there’s no reason for it to appreciate.

The only possible reason to think that it will go up is that you think someone else will want to pay more for one in future than they do now.

You are thinking short term - I am thinking long term. Please see my post above as to why I believe the value will grow substantially over the coming years. You may disagree and that's fine but like I said in my previous post more and more people will want to get into it and yes that does mean people will be prepared to pay more for it.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    You are thinking short term - I am thinking long term. Please see my post above as to why I believe the value will grow substantially over the coming years.
    Come on, I quoted it in the very post to which you responded!

Why do you think that the current inefficient, expensive to use, electricity wasting old crypto coin will be the choice of a new generation? Also, why will people not simply peg whatever new currency they want to the existing bitcoin value? You can dump a trillion bitcoin equivalents into the market tomorrow if you want, the idea that it is limited is fantasy. That’s without even noting that you can just create as many genuine new equivalents as you want on the same technology.

This is like saying that you’ll Email only twenty copies of your ebook out to the world, and claiming that apscarcity will make it trade for millions. As anyone can create a facsimile of it, the scarcity argument just does not work.

Or, to use another example, it’s like Henry Ford producing only a few thousand Model T, and then claiming that they would be worth millions as everyone would want one and there were so few.

As a true believer, have you backed your view?
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Aegis wrote: »
    If the value is right for now, why would it not be wrong in two years if the price goes up? The asset doesn't produce any underlying income and has no real application other than as a token of exchange, and if the mining continues there will be a larger supply in two years rather than a smaller one. As such, if the value was correct now, you'd expect the price in two years to be lower due to the expanded supply, not higher.

The value will increase as the technology develops and more and more users want to get involved in it. This is potentially an entirely new asset class in it's early development. Every day there is more and more adoption occurring around the world new businesses/apps, etc. being created - it is very much a massively growing area.

How many more new users do you think there will be? Most people have heard of bitcoin by now, and have either decided to invest or to avoid it. Instead of converting new people from large numbers of people who know nothing about bitcoin, there's now the challenge of getting people interested who have decided for various reasons not to buy into the fad.

More to the point, this isn't a rational reason for the asset value to change. Either an asset is correctly priced or it isn't - the number of people investing doesn't affect that fundamental calculation. What you're instead describing is "greater fool theory", namely the idea that something will continuously go up in value because there will always be someone who wants it at a greater price. This is the very definition of bubble formation, and if this is the reason why you are buying this asset, then you are buying in to the mania rather than to an asset which is increasing in value for rational reasons.
    You go on to explain your thoughts on "why", but they don't make sense from an investment perspective.
    Please see above

As mentioned, I don't think you've addressed this point any more than those who bought into limited edition Beanie Babies did during that mania.
    This should only matter if there's a practical use for the asset in question and should only actually take place with reference to a currency which is inflating. In other words, if inflation runs at 3%, you would expect a scarce but tradable asset to increase each year broadly by inflation where the supply stays broadly constant (i.e. where utilisation and introduction of new supply are similar).
    Currently the use is that of a means of storing value outside of the banking system, free from regulation (though exchanges will get regulated) and due to a finite supply with a system that makes bitcoin more and more rare as time goes on. That in itself to many people has value. There will only ever be 21 million (full) bitcoin ever in existence and they reckon that several millions of these have been lost forever. Supply is finite.

You've completely missed the point. If the supply was currently fixed, then you would expect the price to be relatively stable if the asset is rationally bought and sold according to known information. That pricing point would - if the asset remains useful - rise with inflation, but shouldn't be expected to increase in real price over and over again.

You've also got a problem in the claim that this is a store of value. It's not. The value fluctuates so much that you can't guarantee you'll have even 50% of your value remaining in a given week.
    There are plenty of assets out there which are scarce, but they're not expected to increase in value enormously. Why is bitcoin the exception?
    Please see above - there can only ever be 21 million in existence. Name me another asset where the entire supply in it's history is set at a particular number?

Limited edition Beanie Babies. Gold doubloons. For that matter, any precious metal.

If I create a random file on my computer and encrypt it strongly enough, it will be entirely unique. Does that give it value?
    Why do you expect bitcoin to benefit from this transformation? Is it really at all likely that entire economies will switch from currencies they control to a decentralised system with ever-increasing costs to run the network, coupled with an inability to process anywhere near the number of transactions a second needed to replace even a small trading currency, let alone a significant number of them? Is it not more likely that - if blockchain genuinely is the future of finance - central banks will instead create their own?
    Mainly because it has already established itself within the space and has also got all the very best developers working on it.

Much like Myspace then?
    I believe that in the future banks will go crypto and it will become the norm to use it - if bitcoin can capture even 2% of that then it's value will be vastly greater than it is now.

Cryptocurrencies are a commodity, not a real currency, so why would banks choose to adopt them as the norm? To give them legitimacy, you'd have to have stable currencies within each jurisdiction, which means they will need to be centrally managed. As bitcoin in particular is designed to be decentralised, it doesn't fit that requirement. Even if bitcoin becomes more mainstream than it presently is, the fact that it can't be used to settle tax debts to countries in a fixed amount means that its future as an actual currency is impossible. No one government can take ownership of bitcoin without it failing as a decentralised currency, but it can't become a real currency until a government starts pricing everything in bitcoin, which they won't do unless they can control the currency. It's a vicious circle that can't be broken.

Not to mention the fact that bitcoin doesn't really have any advantages over existing currencies. Want to talk about established currencies? Modern fiat currencies have decades or centuries on bitcoin, so without a really compelling need, there is no chance whatsoever that they will be replaced. I just don't see that there's a need for bitcoin - GBP is perfectly suited to being used as a currency.

Blockchain is the technology. Bitcoin is a prototype demonstration of that technology. You can have blockchain without bitcoin, hence the number of cryptocurrencies now in circulation.

The problem with prototypes is that they are supplanted by better implementations of the technology.
    Bitcoin has the best developers in the space working on it and it is an evolving technology - I expect most alt coins to have died with any with good features basically assimilated into Bitcoin - there are already developments planned that will increase privacy, deal with any scaling issues and make things quicker and more efficient - all with Bitcoin.

If blockchain survives as part of a modern currency, it will almost certainly be one developed by a country, not bitcoin.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • hildosaver
    John-K wrote: »
    Come on, I quoted it in the very post to which you responded!

Why do you think that the current inefficient, expensive to use, electricity wasting old crypto coin will be the choice of a new generation? Also, why will people not simply peg whatever new currency they want to the existing bitcoin value? You can dump a trillion bitcoin equivalents into the market tomorrow if you want, the idea that it is limited is fantasy. That!!!8217;s without even noting that you can just create as many genuine new equivalents as you want on the same technology.

I believe those problems will be overcome as the technology develops - also if you dump 1 billion bitcoin clones into the system that will not matter as they still will not be Bitcoin and will not have the people working on it like Bitcoin does - a bitcoin clone today will be outdated and behind the curve within a few months anyway as Bitcoin continues to evolve. There are hundreds of alt coins out there and no doubt there will be hundreds more - it's an exciting space and it's good to see innovation - innovation that Bitcoin will absorb

This is like saying that you!!!8217;ll Email only twenty copies of your ebook out to the world, and claiming that apscarcity will make it trade for millions. As anyone can create a facsimile of it, the scarcity argument just does not work.

Or, to use another example, it!!!8217;s like Henry Ford producing only a few thousand Model T, and then claiming that they would be worth millions as everyone would want one and there were so few.
    A Bitcoin can be split into millions of pieces - 21 million bitcoin = billions of satoshi - that is the unit measure people need to think about rather than a full bitcoin - relatively few people will ever own a full bitcoin. Neither of your examples show any understanding of that. People will want to use it but they will be using satoshi

As a true believer, have you backed your view?

I have put a little bit of cash into it yeah - only enough that if i lost it all tomorrow it wouldn't bother me.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    I have put a little bit of cash into it yeah - only enough that if i lost it all tomorrow it wouldn't bother me.

Why so little if you are so convinced that Bitcoin is the future?
  • hildosaver
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Why so little if you are so convinced that Bitcoin is the future?

Because I'm not stupid enough to pump all my savings into what is still a very new tech - I do believe in it but not enough to bankrupt myself. I have other priorities like mortgages, etc. Anyway, I am content with what I have and I have done some trading since then and more than doubled the worth of what I had at the start without paying any money in.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Because I'm not stupid enough to pump all my savings into what is still a very new tech - I do believe in it but not enough to bankrupt myself. I have other priorities like mortgages, etc. Anyway, I am content with what I have and I have done some trading since then and more than doubled the worth of what I had at the start without paying any money in.

It sounds like you are not quite so convinced when it comes to investing your own money. That's absolutely fine, and you shouldn't put much money into something that you are uncertain about, but it is rather at odds with how you have talked about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure