Any PS5 rumours?

Comments

• I think the earliest we'll see a PS5 is next year. What kind of tech the new system will be is unknown. With the whole industry moving away from disc based games (and films) it's not entirely unfeasible to imagine the PS5 to be offered as a virtual system, similar to Playstation Now. Play anywhere, on any platform at any time.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    keke74 wrote: »
    I think the earliest we'll see a PS5 is next year. What kind of tech the new system will be is unknown. With the whole industry moving away from disc based games (and films) it's not entirely unfeasible to imagine the PS5 to be offered as a virtual system, similar to Playstation Now. Play anywhere, on any platform at any time.

I think thats how its going to be - game streaming

Isnt Googles new gaming console rumoured to be going down that route?
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    keke74 wrote: »
    I think the earliest we'll see a PS5 is next year. What kind of tech the new system will be is unknown. With the whole industry moving away from disc based games (and films) it's not entirely unfeasible to imagine the PS5 to be offered as a virtual system, similar to Playstation Now. Play anywhere, on any platform at any time.

Remove discs or any physical format and make it too internet reliant and that will be the end of my custom.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    chubsta wrote: »
    I currently have a PS4 (not Pro) and a 4K tv, I would really like to be able to play 4K UHD blu-ray but of course Sony haven't made this possible in either the bog-standard PS4 or the Pro.

I could always buy an Xbox One S, but with the release of the Xbox One X that is pretty old technology now so despite it being cheap I can't justify the cost. Although the Xbox One X would undoubtedly be a great machine I have loads of games (digital only as I am too lazy to get off the sofa to swap discs!) for my PS4 so am kind of stuck in the Sony eco-system for the moment.

So, what I need is a Playstation that does 4K and has a UHD blu-ray drive in it - what are the current rumours around whether the next system will have one built in, release dates etc? I must be crap at using google because every time I try to search for stuff I end up seeing posts from ages ago, unless there really are no rumours on discussion on this...

In what way is the One S 'old' technology?
    The X is simply a graphical upgrade.
  • motorguy
    Remove discs or any physical format and make it too internet reliant and that will be the end of my custom.

I suspect the loss of your custom wont be a show stopper for them.

When you buy a game for either the PS4 or XBox One these days the first thing it wants to do is some massive update before you can play the game anyway.

The only loss would be the (slight) monetary value in the physical disk, however if they move towards a subscription model thats a fairly moot point anyway.
  • donnajunkie
    motorguy wrote: »
    I suspect the loss of your custom wont be a show stopper for them.

When you buy a game for either the PS4 or XBox One these days the first thing it wants to do is some massive update before you can play the game anyway.

The only loss would be the (slight) monetary value in the physical disk, however if they move towards a subscription model thats a fairly moot point anyway.

Do you think i would be the only one not keen on paying full rrp for a download only game.
  • motorguy
    edited 19 February 2018 at 9:53PM
    Do you think i would be the only one not keen on paying full rrp for a download only game.

You can buy discounted download only games.

As i've and others have said, the gaming market most likely evolve in to a subscription based model whereby you can simply pay a monthly fee and stream the games you want.

Also, who knows what "full price" would be? Without manufacturing and distribution costs, plus paying the retailer their whack of profit games could be cheaper.

Also, theres lots of games already available for download that are heavily discounted or free.

With EA Access you've 45+ games on there for £19.99 a year.

With XBox live you get four free to keep games a month and most XBox owners will have a Live subscription anyway.

It has worked for the PC with the likes of STEAM, why wouldnt it work for XBox and PS, given its going that way already and i dont hear too many people kicking and screaming about it.
  • donnajunkie
    motorguy wrote: »
    You can buy discounted download only games.

As i've and others have said, the gaming market most likely evolve in to a subscription based model whereby you can simply pay a monthly fee and stream the games you want.

Also, who knows what "full price" would be? Without manufacturing and distribution costs, plus paying the retailer their whack of profit games could be cheaper.

Also, theres lots of games already available for download that are heavily discounted or free.

With EA Access you've 45+ games on there for £19.99 a year.

With XBox live you get four free to keep games a month and most XBox owners will have a Live subscription anyway.

It has worked for the PC with the likes of STEAM, why wouldnt it work for XBox and PS, given its going that way already and i dont hear too many people kicking and screaming about it.

Psn dont charge less for download versions. The deals are worse. I have known games to be under £20 in a shop while on psn being £49.99. Yes you do get deals sometimes but overall its much worse.
    Subscriptions that give you games tend to be older games. Cant see you getting the next cod on release day included in a monthly subscription.
  • Psn dont charge less for download versions. The deals are worse. I have known games to be under £20 in a shop while on psn being £49.99.
    Download only versions don't have to be physically cleared from shelves, of course. This means the retailer won't be under any pressure to discount old games very much (or at all).

It's inevitable that physical media will eventually disappear completely, but that's not good news for the consumer..
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Psn dont charge less for download versions. The deals are worse. I have known games to be under £20 in a shop while on psn being £49.99. Yes you do get deals sometimes but overall its much worse.
    Subscriptions that give you games tend to be older games. Cant see you getting the next cod on release day included in a monthly subscription.

Yes because its a model in its early stages of development alongside a physical media heavy system.
    given you often malign your income and available money,why would you be worried about the PS5 set up?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure