Travelling On

Comments

• Trespass comes up quite often on the bay at a discount.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Lovely new diary and great news about the Norway booking.

We have only done 1 cruise, ship only 700 people, a Baltic cruise and we loved it, had hoped to do a Norwegian Ffiords a while back, but they would not accept me because I was under investigation for a health issue, had a couple more since then, so hoping that later this year the latest will be resolved and we can book (fingers crossed smiley needed:D)

I hope the fence repairs not too expensive, blustery, but no damage here:D
    Thanks maddie! Hope you can join the cruise you want really soon.
    pinkypig wrote: »
    Good quality outdoor clothing that is fit for purpose = essential. Go for it :)
    :j:j:j yep, you're right - there's a degree of future proofing in it too. All good :D
    maggiem wrote: »
    Love my railcard too - very useful.

Great to read your plans - so lovely to hear you feeling you have the energy to do some of this. Enjoy, have fun
    Thank you so much! That's really kind.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    michelle09 wrote: »
    With everyone else on the winter gear. Finally bought a winter coat in November and it's a proper one with decent insulation. So much better. I was an idiot for not doing it years ago.

Haha. I used to live in Liverpool, the derby days were always a good time.
    Excellent! I have good jackets, and a wool three quarter length, but nothing windproof and waterproof.

Blimey, I've never been in Liverpool City Centre for a derby :eek: more power to your elbow :rotfl:
    Trespass comes up quite often on the bay at a discount.
    That's good to know :) the current plan is to go to the local shopping mall place, 8 miles away or so, to check out the Trespass and Decathlon shops. I won't buy anything thats "just good enough" - I'll buy what's right, or keep an eye out on the bay, as you say.

I spent ages yesterday getting all my tax paperwork in order - there's one French bank statement I can't find, but that info is easily available online. They were in the most confusion they've ever been, life has sort of been like that this last year.

OTOH, I've got to grips with letting the SB videos roll on my phone. Got to download *all* of the apps now :D
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,866 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If your budget will stretch to it KC, Patagonia and Paramo (budget would really have to stretch!) are both really good from an ethical point of view for waterproofs. Paramo have a refurb shop on ebay, I believe (they refurb all their products for resale).
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Thank you madvix, I'll check out those names.

I went on my first council-run Healthy Walk this morning :) then popped over to the local supermarket to stock up on cheese and pesto :) which has been quite an expedition, actually. This walk was a Level 1 - pleasant to pootle along for a chat (I met a woman whose daughter is living in Northern Norway for 6 months, working the tourist season :D I kid you not) but won't help me with my stamina issues. I'll have to do both :)

One interesting current point - a post on Zero Hedge today links to a google drive-lodged pdf of Michael Wolff's book about Trump - I've opened it, and lodged it on my own google drive, but can't download it - it's too popular :D

Today, now that my tax papers are in sequential order, it's about the accounts. I may be gone some time :cool:
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I am very glad to see that your energy levels are building again - I bet the idea of leisurely pootles and cruises seemed a million miles away just a few years ago?

Can't believe you read ZH and it's 50 shades of crazy, but haven't been able to sort your pension out yet :p
  • Karmacat
    :o:o:o I know, I know. It's not ability ... it's simply that I absolutely loathe dealing with pensions. If there was a fine for *not* dealing with them, like for your tax return, I'd do it, by the nth hour. There *is* a financial fine, of course - but it's not visible.

Oh! Okay, I've just described the mindset that will enable me to take control of the dratted stuff :D thanks Ed.

:j

And thank you for your kind words on my energy levels - yep, a few years ago, I thought I'd never be able to travel again. Quite frankly, I thought whatever illness I had might kill me, though I'd never have written that at the time. Now I'm certain I'm better and likely to be more so, it's okay to say. Though I suspect I'll be a bit of a hypochrondriac for the rest of my life :D

• Can't believe you read ZH and it's 50 shades of crazy, but haven't been able to sort your pension out yet :p

Heh.

I think reading Zero Hedge is motivation to not bother. Why worry about your pension when the world will end, the global markets will crash and your £500K pension will net you roughly an out of date can of aldi beans due to hyper inflation.

I still enjoy reading it though. Must be my innate pessimism.
  • Karmacat
    Hello Cicatriz :beer: I've realised that there are multiple viewpoints in ZH posts, because of guest posters. Sometimes the world is going to end, sometimes Trump is the best thing since sliced bread (!),and there's a lot of nasty "snowflake" insults to wade through, but occasionally there are genuinely interesting posts about geological information, say, that nobody else has put out there.

Right, my SB points are racking up in the background, as my phone watches videos, so I'm off to sort my numbers out for the last 6 months of my self employment, and then check what HMRC want for the remainder of the year. The French apartment complicates thing of course but I'll sort it :)
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    I've just had a look at the Trespass site. It looks very similar to the Mountain Warehouse site. I would quite like a gilet for walking in the spring and autumn. I can get quite warm when I'm walking briskly, and a jacket can sometimes seem 'too much'. I'll bear Trespass in mind if/when I decide the time is right.

I see you have dipped your toe into the local Healthy Walk. What a coincidence to meet someone whose daughter is working in Norway
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport