outrageous mobile charge from UAE call to UK number which I don't recognise

Options

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Then you need to raise this now with VM, stressing that you will be including this fact when you raise the case to CISAS.

It may be that VM has only had preliminary data from the network in the UAE.
  • kblack71
    Options
    Thanks again pmduk. I've just spoken to the 'manager' again at VM but she's not really listening, just avoiding my comments due to lack of understanding or ability to resolve the issue. How would you recommend I raise this aspect with VM, through their resolver page, or through CISAS? Can I start my CISAS claim now or do i need to wait "up to two weeks" for VM to send the deadlock letter?
  • pmduk
    edited 9 November 2018 at 3:28PM
    Options
    AIUI you need to wait until you get the deadlock letter. Someone more senior may overrule the manager in the interim. Don't bother with Resolver as you have an open complaint at Deadlock stage.

I'd also be making a complaint to Facetime which is where the fault probably lies. I've not often come across the issue with FT, but there was a regular issue with Whatsapp - to the extent I could recognise the 'unknown' destination number.
  • mrcamp
    mrcamp Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Honestly, the bill from Virgin is likely correct. My guess is that the number is different because, when a call is re-routed, a different number is usually involved with the routing, and the call log is probably showing this number. As for the difference in time of call, I think it's because of the rerouting, and also may be the time difference between UK and UAE. Bottom line, the fact that you made a call for that duration, virgin's bill is probably correct.
    kblack71 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help Herongull.
    My FaceTime call of 40 mins was made at 20.33, there was also a 48 second call made at 20.28, (but no call of this length features on the virgin bill), the virgin bill states the time of the 41-minute call as 19.47. However you do the maths, it doesn’t quite add up, and it’s still a different number.
  • Herongull
    Herongull Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you google, you can find other examples when people thought they were making a free international call using Facetime and wifi but they were then charged for the call.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8302046

In the above example, they tried to make a Facetime call to someone in their contacts list who didn't have an iphone so it just went though as an international call.

From googling, it appears that Facetime, Skype and other VOIP services are banned in UAE to protect local telecom monopolies although they have been having talks recently to try to get the ban lifted.
    https://www.macobserver.com/news/apple-microsoft-uae-facetime-skype-ban/.

So maybe when the call was blocked from using Facetime by the UAE, it went through as a billed international call (a bit like the first example when people tried to call a non-iphone using Facetime).

If that is the case your bill would be correct (but not sure why the time and number called is different - maybe this just occurs when the call is re-routed as an international call). The duration of the call seems to match.
  • Herongull
    Herongull Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    According to Apple, Facetime is still unavailable in the UAE
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204042

If this is correct, what you thought was a Facetime call must have (somehow) gone through as an international call.
  • pmduk
    edited 9 November 2018 at 8:34PM
    Options
    Check out CISAS here; they're reportedly the more consumer-friendly of the two ADR schemes, although I really don't think you've a strong case against VM I'm afraid.

ETA Highlight any and all irregularities in VM's case eg dates and times etc, ADR's like these, they can win you cases.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    07953 (originally 0953 before 2001) is a mobile number range currently issued to EE, previously allocated to T-Mobile, and before that One-2-One.

The particular number may be in use on EE, or by an MVNO that uses EE systems, or may have been ported out elsewhere.
  • kblack71
    Options
    Thanks guys. Looking a bit bleak isn't it... I'm beginning to wish I'd accepted the £20 payout!
    Appreciate all your help and advice.
  • pmduk
    Options
    It would have been the best decision. Who knows, someone at VM who oversees referrals to CISAS might spot some dodgy paperwork at their end and decide not to risk the referral.
    It's happened to cases I've dealt with before now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure