Subject Access Request DWP

Hello,

This is great for helping someone out who doesn't have a clue about their history or current benefits there on you can even get details sent to another address for your information. You need their name, address and national insurance number.

https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/personal-information-request/name

Comments

• whambam
    whambam Posts: 508 Forumite
    People with dementia do not speak or read english. Autistic people with no mental capacity.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    venison wrote: »
    Who wouldn't know what benefits they are on?
    I'm genuinely curios

A lot of people do only have a vague idea of exactly what benefits they receive.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Thanks!

I am fairly sure in around 2014, I was on ESA and PIP and didn't apply for the SDP as I was unaware I was due it. This way I can check and have the information to hand instead of phoning them up with vague information. Wish me luck, a little backpayment would be really handy at the moment!
  • K80_Black wrote: »
    Thanks!

I am fairly sure in around 2014, I was on ESA and PIP and didn't apply for the SDP as I was unaware I was due it. This way I can check and have the information to hand instead of phoning them up with vague information. Wish me luck, a little backpayment would be really handy at the moment!

You wouldn't necessarily be due backpay if you failed to claim something. That's your responsibility and it's now tough luck.

The ones getting back payments were subject to a government errors when transferred to esa.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    _shel wrote: »
    You wouldn't necessarily be due backpay if you failed to claim something. That's your responsibility and it's now tough luck.

The ones getting back payments were subject to a government errors when transferred to esa.
    I'm unsure if that applies to SDP because of the criteria it's not automatically paid.

So many people have no idea this exists, therefore they lose out on this premium. I'd be interested to hear others opinions regarding this. Maybe calcotti, Alice or pmlindyloo can help us out here?
  • poppy12345 wrote: »
    I'm unsure if that applies to SDP because of the criteria it's not automatically paid.

So many people have no idea this exists, therefore they lose out on this premium. I'd be interested to hear others opinions regarding this. Maybe calcotti, Alice or pmlindyloo can help us out here?

I know everyone on here says that but I've never claimed SDP separately. Claimed SDA, IB and ESA about 4 times in between working and always had SDP automatically added!

That aside wouldn't normal backdating rules apply? Lack of knowledge about it isn't generally enough to get backdating and even then it's only for a couple of weeks.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    edited 11 November 2018 at 11:25AM
    I'm not sure how you've always had the SDP automatically added. The reason it's not done this way is because of the criteria.

When i first claimed PIP 5 years ago, i had to apply for it myself because they didn't add it. EDP is automatically added.

I realise that ignorance isn't usually enough to have a benefit backdated but for SDP i'm not convinced that applies.
  • calcotti
    _shel wrote: »
    Lack of knowledge about it isn't generally enough to get backdating and even then it's only for a couple of weeks.

SDP will be fully backdated if you can demonstrate you qualified.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    whambam wrote: »
    Hello,

This is great for helping someone out who doesn't have a clue about their history or current benefits there on you can even get details sent to another address for your information. You need their name, address and national insurance number.

https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/personal-information-request/name

Do you know how long it takes/ I'm working with someone who can't access their UC account and wants to find out what they were getting before the claim was closed.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • calcotti
    edited 11 November 2018 at 1:52PM
    elsien wrote: »
    Do you know how long it takes/ I'm working with someone who can't access their UC account and wants to find out what they were getting before the claim was closed.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-your-personal-information-from-the-department-for-work-and-pensions
    It says within one month.

There is information her about what is kept and how long for https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-work-pensions/about/personal-information-charter#ask-for-a-copy-of-the-information-we-hold-about-you
    If anyone wants a complete record of all their dealings with DWP going back many years they probably will not get because some of the date will have been erased.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure