Bus, Taxi, Cyclist Drivers

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tilt wrote: »
    Looking at some of the You-Tube clips posted by cyclists, it would appear that helmet cams have turned some cyclists into 'policemen' (or so they think).

Can't help thinking that some of these 'helmets' go out simply to seek out motorists who are having an off day and post them on You-Tube. Sad really.

Some idiot in a car jumping a red light (happens so often I don't bother to even collect the clips unless it's something stupid) is one of those daft things but driving on an off day near a vulnerable road user like a cyclist can result in serious injury or even death so the camera is a vital bit of evidence should there be a collision or dangerous close pass. It is just anecdotal but when commuting with the helmet camera cars seem to hesitate a bit to do stupid things like cutting me up so if it protects me then I have no issue with it. Given cars jumping red lights cause 71% of incidents where someone like a pedestrian is killed or seriously injured following a road user jumping a red light (TfL data) then I think having some evidence is always useful to assist in a prosecution.
  • fred990
    fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    wongataa wrote: »
    The problem is someone having an 'off day' driving a motor vehicle can quite easily kill/seriously injure more vulnerable road users such as cyclists. Also, many many motor vehicles are driven badly and they can't all be driven by people having 'off days'.

Try cycling around yourself and see how scary those drivers having 'off days' can be.
    Sadly it's just human nature to be fundamentally selfish and not give a !!!!! about others. I cycle/ride a motorbike all year round and can't have an 'off day' on two wheels, drivers can.
    It'll never change until humans wipe themselves out. Maggie apparently said there is no such thing as society, she was 100% right when it comes to motorists.
    Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,208 Forumite
    It is perfectly legal in public places, such as on the roads.

Quite so. Publishing the footage is only a problem if it is used to misrepresent the subject in some way.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    fred990 wrote: »
    Sadly it's just human nature to be fundamentally selfish and not give a !!!!! about others. I cycle/ride a motorbike all year round and can't have an 'off day' on two wheels, drivers can.
    It'll never change until humans wipe themselves out. Maggie apparently said there is no such thing as society, she was 100% right when it comes to motorists.

Nice sweeping generalisation there.
  • fred990
    fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Nice sweeping generalisation there.
    You make my point nicely!
    Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?
  • Trucker Jay is a working class Tory. He even mentioned in a video once that he was sat on his laptop trolling "lefties".

Says it all really.
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    The problem is someone having an 'off day' driving a motor vehicle can quite easily kill/seriously injure more vulnerable road users such as cyclists. Also, many many motor vehicles are driven badly and they can't all be driven by people having 'off days'.

I think you slightly miss-understood my point. The instances i'm talking about are motorists making minor errors which are being captured and exaggerated by cyclists on camera and then posting them on YouTube. There's hundreds of them.

BUT on the flip side, a cyclist in London has posted a series of "Silly Cyclists" clips showing many cyclists having off days as well. Seek and you will find.

Try cycling around yourself and see how scary those drivers having 'off days' can be.

What makes you think i don't?
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Some idiot in a car jumping a red light (happens so often I don't bother to even collect the clips unless it's something stupid) is one of those daft things but driving on an off day near a vulnerable road user like a cyclist can result in serious injury or even death so the camera is a vital bit of evidence should there be a collision or dangerous close pass. It is just anecdotal but when commuting with the helmet camera cars seem to hesitate a bit to do stupid things like cutting me up so if it protects me then I have no issue with it. Given cars jumping red lights cause 71% of incidents where someone like a pedestrian is killed or seriously injured following a road user jumping a red light (TfL data) then I think having some evidence is always useful to assist in a prosecution.

If you drive through the centre of London, you will see quite a lot of cyclists do this almost routinely as well.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tilt wrote: »
    If you drive through the centre of London, you will see quite a lot of cyclists do this almost routinely as well.

Classic whataboutery

A car jumping a red light kills, a cyclist rarely, if ever, does.

As above, TfL data showed 71% of incidents where an accident occurred with someone killed or seriously injured following a red light jump were caused by cars, just 4% by cyclists. I don't condone cyclists doing it, but car owners seem to ignore the fact that a great many drivers do it and as a result cause all sorts of havoc.
  • James2k
    James2k Posts: 300 Forumite
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Classic whataboutery

A car jumping a red light kills, a cyclist rarely, if ever, does.

As above, TfL data showed 71% of incidents where an accident occurred with someone killed or seriously injured following a red light jump were caused by cars, just 4% by cyclists. I don't condone cyclists doing it, but car owners seem to ignore the fact that a great many drivers do it and as a result cause all sorts of havoc.
    Irrelevant, Its just as illegal for both, its just bikes get away with it more often due to lack of accountability (see: no registration plates)

In Glasgow its the same,

I see more bikes than cars do it (in my experience and i'm not talking about jumping a late amber/ very early red, but a blatant red jump.) not to mention the half pavement half road slalom that a lot of them do to try get around faster, with pedestrians jumping out of the way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure