2»

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree, and I've not stated otherwise.
    What was it that you stated earlier?

There has been nothing written or implied saying that American golf have refused to allow to OP to claim on their statutory rights.

If the OP went into the store and stated something such as:
    "I purchased these shoes 10 months ago and the waterproofing has failed and as Nike offer a 2 year guarantee, I would like them replaced"
    then the store staff haven't lessened or removed any statutory rights as those rights are still there should the OP chose to use them.

So theoretically, if this was a claim under warranty......why - after the shoes have been deemed faulty by the retailer - is OP only being offered a voucher when their statutory rights are for a refund by the same method of payment they used?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • George_Michael
    Options
    So theoretically, if this was a claim under warranty......why - after the shoes have been deemed faulty by the retailer - is OP only being offered a voucher when their statutory rights are for a refund by the same method of payment they used?

I don't understand your point.
    You start off by referring to a warranty claim and end up by mentioning the OP's statutory rights.
    If the OP claimed under the manufacturers warranty, the retailer is under no legal obligation to inform the OP of their statutory rights. They can't refuse to honour those rights or mislead anyone about them but if someone stated they wished to claim under the warranty, there is no reason why a retailer has to do anything else.
  • unholyangel
    Options
    I don't understand your point.
    You start off by referring to a warranty claim and end up by mentioning the OP's statutory rights.
    If the OP claimed under the manufacturers warranty, the retailer is under no legal obligation to inform the OP of their statutory rights. They can't refuse to honour those rights or mislead anyone about them but if someone stated they wished to claim under the warranty, there is no reason why a retailer has to do anything else.

You said there has been nothing written or implied that AG has refused OP their statutory rights. I said why are AG telling OP they can't get a refund on goods they themselves have deemed to be faulty then? If thats not refusing statutory rights, what is?

Again, a warranty cannot be used to lessen or restrict your statutory rights. So even if you do initially claim on warranty, if the goods subsequently prove to be faulty then you cant be prohibited from exercising your statutory rights - that would be the guarantee/warranty operating as an exclusion clause.

And while they don't have to tell you your legal rights, they cannot mislead you into thinking you don't have those rights - such as by telling you youre only entitled to claim under warranty, only entitled to a voucher and not a refund etc.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • George_Michael
    Options
    You said there has been nothing written or implied that AG has refused OP their statutory rights. I said why are AG telling OP they can't get a refund on goods they themselves have deemed to be faulty then? If thats not refusing statutory rights, what is?
    Because unless the OP informed the retailer that they wanted a refund in accordance with their statutory rights and simply said that they wanted a warranty resolution, they haven't been misled.

Again, a warranty cannot be used to lessen or restrict your statutory rights. So even if you do initially claim on warranty, if the goods subsequently prove to be faulty then you cant be prohibited from exercising your statutory rights -
    True, the OP isn't prohibited from this provided that they actually make a request in the first place.
    that would be the guarantee/warranty operating as an exclusion clause.

And while they don't have to tell you your legal rights, they cannot mislead you into thinking you don't have those rights - such as by telling you youre only entitled to claim under warranty, only entitled to a voucher and not a refund etc.
    But did the retailer say this? They may have simply been doing as the OP requested and processed a warranty claim.

If I go into a shop with faulty goods and say that those goods came with a warranty and I wish to claim under that warranty, that is all that the retailer has to do.
    However, if I go in and state that I wish to get a resolution under the CRA, then what the retailer has to do is to follow the requirements of that act.

I think I'll draw a line under this here as I don't think we will agree on this and it's pointless having it going to and from for days/weeks to come!
  • unholyangel
    Options
    If I go into a shop with faulty goods and say that those goods came with a warranty and I wish to claim under that warranty, that is all that the retailer has to do.
    However, if I go in and state that I wish to get a resolution under the CRA, then what the retailer has to do is to follow the requirements of that act.

I think I'll draw a line under this here as I don't think we will agree on this and it's pointless having it going to and from for days/weeks to come!

The goods are faulty by the retailers own admission. They cannot provide a repair or replacement. OP has requested a refund - as is their statutory right where repair or replacement is impossible. Retailer has refused this.

Even if the retailer is refusing on the basis of it being a warranty claim then (again) that warranty is operating as an exclusion clause.

Your statutory rights always apply - not just when you're aware of them.
    5.11.1 A guarantee or warranty might be worded in such a way that, if successfully
    relied on, it would leave consumers less well able to seek redress, in the
    event of default by the trader, than they would be under Part 1 of the Act or
    the general law. Using of wording of this kind will raise the same concerns
    as exclusion or limitation clauses can do (see paragraphs 5.2.1 to 5.2.10).

5.11.2 There is no objection to guarantees or warranties that simply enlarge the
    scope of the consumer’s ordinary legal rights – for example, by offering
    refunds or exchanges on a no-fault basis, or offering repairs regardless of
    the cause of the problem. But sometimes guarantees or warranties offer
    more limited rights than are available under the law, either because the
    benefits are less, or because their availability is made subject to special
    conditions or restrictions. These are highly likely to be unfair and blacklisted
    if they could have the effect of reducing the benefit provided to consumers
    by their legal protections

5.11.3 Certain fundamental legal rights are treated as included in all consumer
    contracts by Part 1 of the Act. In general, these statutory rights cannot be
    excluded by any form of contractual wording or notice – see above, in part
    4 of the guidance on blacklisted terms. But inappropriately restrictive
    guarantees may still be challenged as unfair, particularly if they could
    deprive consumers of other legal protections. Such wording is also likely to
    mislead consumers into assuming that it represents the full extent of their
    rights, and cause them to refrain from exercising their statutory rights,
    which may be actionable as a breach of the CPRs
  • guy.pennington
    Options
    Thanks for your help and the interesting debate. I'm not really too sure if I am technically claiming a refund under warranty or statutory rights, I just want a refund, and it sounds like I am entitled to one, one way or another.

I am awaiting AG response to my latest rebuff of their voucher offer and I will if necessary quote the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and raise a small claim court action.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How much are these shoes worth before we start talking about the small claims process?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    For guaranteed waterproof Nike golf shoes you're probably looking at £80+ as a starting point.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure