Loft Office Suitability Query?

Options

Comments

• wolfmansgotnards
    Options
    andre_xs wrote: »
    Maybe we can take a little heat out of the discussion by separating the two issues of using the loft for activities other than bringing stuff up/down for/from storage and actually just storing something up there.

For "storing" stuff: It really depends on the state of your loft and roof. If it is in a good state and well ventilated, then it may just get cold, but not necessarily damp. Then I wouldn't see any problem storing stuff up there. In my life, I used to store a lot of electrical stuff on attics without a problem.

One issue might be smell: In particular in winter it might get slightly damp (not so much that's a problem for electrical items) which may cause this typical "attic/loft" smell. Thus, storing fabrics, clothes, etc. may be a problem because they may take up the smell. For this, we bought rather cheap plastic boxes with lids, put the stuff in there with a big pack of silicate or alike and then "seal" the box using masking tape around the lid. Worked very well so far, and if your electrical equipment is precious, you may do the same thing.

Condensation is a different issue and may happen if warm air from your house (living space) can go up into the attic on a constant basis (e.g. the loft hatch isn't sealed properly). Then the humidity in the warm and humid air from your living space will condensate in the cold attic (e.g. at the membrane, the window, etc.). Since you said you haven't seen this so far, there shouldn't be a problem in this respect.

Insulating the roof: If the floor is already insulated, I'm not sure that insulating the roof will change much in the loft space with respect to temperature and dampness. After all it is not heated and will adjust largely to the outside temperature. If you do it properly (damp proof membrane, etc.) you may get lower levels of dampness. But you'd have to do this very properly, because even tiny mistakes here may have huge effects in terms of condensation, dampness, mould, etc. But about all of this I'm not really sure as I'm not an expert on this.

I'm keeping myself out of the discussion whether you should use the space for your YouTube videos. I presume that you already thought about using a bedroom or living room for this...

Best wishes,
    Andre

Thank you for your advice. This seems to be the most appropriate response without the need of any arguments.

For the time being, I have been opening my loft hatch frequently to let hot and cold air flow through. Occasionally opening and closing the velux window too and everything seems ok so far. I used ThermAll for extra measure as originally advised to do by an experienced joiner (who also came up my loft to have a look) and all seems better now.

My absolute main concern was electrics and important papers etc.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for your advice. This seems to be the most appropriate response without the need of any arguments.

For the time being, I have been opening my loft hatch frequently to let hot and cold air flow through. Occasionally opening and closing the velux window too and everything seems ok so far. I used ThermAll for extra measure as originally advised to do by an experienced joiner (who also came up my loft to have a look) and all seems better now.

In which case you have just presented a classic example of "hearing the thing I wanted to hear" since you appear to have overlooked the most important sentence of Andre's post which was:-
    "But about all of this I'm not really sure as I'm not an expert on this"

:wall:
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used ThermAll for extra measure as originally advised to do by an experienced joiner (who also came up my loft to have a look) and all seems better now.

A joiner so experienced and paperwork so important you forgot about them for seventy posts.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • wolfmansgotnards
    Options

EachPenny wrote: »
    In which case you have just presented a classic example of "hearing the thing I wanted to hear" since you appear to have overlooked the most important sentence of Andre's post which was:-
    "But about all of this I'm not really sure as I'm not an expert on this"

:wall:

Looks like you are just "reading what you want to read". As you can clearly see I wrote "without the need of any arguments". In terms of appropriate.

There really is no point in trying to create an arguments.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks like you are just "reading what you want to read". As you can clearly see I wrote "without the need of any arguments". In terms of appropriate.

There really is no point in trying to create an arguments.
    There really is no point in asking a question on an internet forum if you regard anything which doesn't fit your opinion as an 'argument' and welcome comments from people who support your opinion, even where they clearly state that they are not an 'expert'.

In fact other than having one person give you an answer you agree with, the whole of the rest of the thread has turned out to be a pretty pointless exercise for all concerned. :(
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    <<snip>>
    In fact other than having one person give you an answer you agree with, the whole of the rest of the thread has turned out to be a pretty pointless exercise for all concerned. :(

I don't know - it does have a certain entertainment value, in a Vicky Pollard sketch sort of way. :whistle:
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • wolfmansgotnards
    Options
    There really is no point in asking a question on an internet forum if you regard anything which doesn't fit your opinion as an 'argument' and welcome comments from people who support your opinion, even where they clearly state that they are not an 'expert'.

Well, clearly you have chosen to read select sentences to fit in with whatever you choose to think this is about. The ONE PERSON didn't give me an answer I agree with. You will see me agreeing with numerous people throughout the thread. And this ONE PERSON, I was happy with their choice of the way they were speaking. No bull$hit and no talking down to folk. Something you clearly don't know much about.

We obviously don't know each other and that's fine. But I would never speak to anyone this way with the nitpickery snidey comments. It's very childish.
    dunroving wrote: »
    I don't know - it does have a certain entertainment value, in a Vicky Pollard sketch sort of way. :whistle:

See above for the same response to the childish comments.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think I'd like the last word too. :D
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think someone is taking themselves and their opinions way too seriously. Lighten up for goodness' sake.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    I think someone is taking themselves and their opinions way too seriously. Lighten up for goodness' sake.
    That's not fair.... Doozergirl wanted the last word.... you've made her have to post again. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport