Barclays won’t let me pay cash in without a card anymore.

Comments

• Hoogle
    Hoogle Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You should be careful paying money into someones account on benefits, if the DWP ever ask for bank statements and he has never declared it, you could get your brother sanctioned and investigated. Doesnt seem like a lot £100 here and there but to DWP it could be. If he can not work is he on ESA support group ? or even applying for PIP if he is struggling financially which I can imagine many people on benefits are, at least make sure he is claiming everything he is entitled to. Last thing you want is a fraud investigation on his claim.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As long as its not regular its ok, £100 as a gift every now and then should be ok, but I agree that he should be careful.

I expect the OP probably is keeping the income undeclared for tax reasons hence wanting to do a cash deposit.

Barclays for that exact reason probably have the new policy as anti money laundering.

Just reread the first post, I think every 2 to 4 weeks actually could be considered regular by the DWP so definitely on shaky ground. Thats enough to double his income depending on which benefit he is on.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Why not set up one of those supermarket gift card accounts, I think they are designed so that parents can credit an account for their student children to buy food. That way you know he can access food
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    mgdavid wrote: »
    Why on earth wold you put a task on your brother when a better solution has already been suggested?
    What exactly do you object to with paying it in to your account and doing an FP?

My guess is that they get paid for cash jobs and don’t want that money to go through their bank but perhaps I’m being cynical.

I don’t know the reasons why a card is needed but it may well be simply to stop errors. Mistype the number on a paying in slip and a stranger gets a nice bonus.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Ballard wrote: »
    I don’t know the reasons why a card is needed but it may well be simply to stop errors. Mistype the number on a paying in slip and a stranger gets a nice bonus.
    I think that is part of it, but debit cards and pre-printed pay-in slips are machine readable and therefore compatible with Barclays' preferred method of doing business sans-human.

Customers filling in a paying in slip by hand with the account details can make mistakes, but that method is also likely to require a teller to read the details and type them in (a further source of error) which takes time.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Ballard wrote: »
    My guess is that they get paid for cash jobs and don’t want that money to go through their bank but perhaps I’m being cynical.

I guess I must be a cynic too as that was exactly my thought.
  • What about pre-paid card? Pockit has low fees and can be loaded by using PayPoint.
  • I regularly pay into my lovely E-Wifes account, i pay cash into the bank to her Barclays account..Now I cant do this anymore.

Im homeless, I dont have a bank account anymore, she got the house, the cars, the kids etc...I got all the debts which I struggled to pay. I ended up jobless and homeless.... I do however still try and pay maintenance when ever I get some cash..

But now I cant even do that. I have no chance of opening an account .. god I have tried, but no chance without proper documentation. I cant even change my driving licence into a friends address because DVLC don't believe I liver their, they say I have to prove I live their by having bills in my name?? Bills like phone bills or utility bills..I have none of these, I explained I don't live their, but do stay on occasions....I'm rambling..sorry.

So, I cant give my kids any money unless I walk the 125 miles to see them and give it to them in hard cash...I don't want to give money to my friend to go thru his bank account..its personal to me.
    !!!! you barclays.

Life is so hard anyway without this mush .

Im sure all those politicians and other rich sods are creaming money all over the world to offshore accounts,, but its the little people like me that get the blame and end up destitute and lost in this world.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    How did you come to have no bank accounts yourself?

Can she get you a credit book for her account?

To be honest though, your wife's bank changing their deposit policy sounds like the least of your problems. I wish you the best of luck getting back on your feet.
    : )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport