Will my old tariff still apply after Ovo's buyout of SSE?

kittenmeowsh
kittenmeowsh Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 15 September 2019 at 11:27AM in Energy
Hi All. My current energy supplier is SSE. In light of Ovo buying SSE out, I asked SSE a tricky question. Once Ovo officially take on former SSE domestic customers, does this mean the fixed tariff that I signed up to with SSE will no longer be legally valid? Obviously, no one at SSE had a clue. According to OFGEM’s own web site, the tariff will no longer be valid if your supplier changes meaning you’re essentially out of contract. SSE couldn't confirm what I said and these people are supposed to know. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That's a good question.

As OVO are effectively buying SSE's domestic business, wouldn't that include all the contracts that all customers are on, and they would have to honour them? They are planning on retaining SSE branding in the short term too.

It's not like the usual change of supplier when they've gone out of business and as your contract can no longer be honoured you are placed on a deemed tariff as per Ofgem's supplier of last resort procedures.
  • Hi All. My current energy supplier is SSE. In light of Ovo buying SSE out, I asked SSE a tricky question. Once Ovo officially take on former SSE domestic customers, does this mean the fixed tariff that I signed up to with SSE will no longer be legally valid? Obviously, no one at SSE had a clue. According to OFGEM’s own web site, the tariff will no longer be valid if your supplier changes meaning you’re essentially out of contract. SSE couldn't confirm what I said and these people are supposed to know. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Welcome back! ;)
    I'm with SSE – what does this mean for me?

Ovo told us it expects to hear if it's got the green light to buy SSE Energy Services early next year, so until then nothing changes.

If the deal does go ahead, SSE told us that customers on fixed energy tariffs will have their deal honoured until the end of the fixed term.

We have asked both Ovo Energy and SSE what this sale might mean for SSE's existing energy customers on standard variable rate tariffs, however both said it's too early to tell what would happen at this stage.

If the deal does go ahead, Ovo says it will contact customers to explain what will happen.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/09/sse-to-sell-energy-business-to-ovo---what-you-need-to-know/

:cool:
  • I'm on a nice low rate Gas Only deal with SSE until May 2020 - so as long as I can have that rate through the up coming winter season, that's what matters.

Ofgem's dream realised???? One of the underdogs becomes a Big 6 !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure