'Will we soon call UK high streets 'outdoor shopping malls?'' blog discussion

Comments

• Sounds a lot like Liverpool One and - in my opinion - it's opening has done a fantastic job of revitalising the city centre and providing a real alternative to places like the Trafford Centre. The new developments blend in with old streets seamlessly and it's provided the kick needed for other areas of the city to redevelop further.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mikenolan wrote: »
    Liverpool One

that's something you don't hear very often in football terms now!! :rotfl:

Back on track Milton Keynes also has a indoor ski slope attached to a smallish shopping centre / restaurants / cinema complex. - Xscape
  • Doesn't this 'outdoor mall' thing already exist over here in the form of Liverpool One? Looking at its website it seems to be an outdoor shopping mall in all but name...

(ETA: At the risk of angering any forum Scousers, I love Liverpool One and much prefer it to indoor shopping malls!)

Cabot Circus in Bristol is partially outside in that there are no doors to get in it, yet it is partially covered so no rain
    best of both\?
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    All shopping malls and outlets look the same......................or they seem to.;)

The high street, especially in small towns, has character.

I'm not into designer anything at all or fashion trends, so I'm happy to buy out of fashion clothes at an outlet for a bargain price.:cool: I like the indoor versions (eg York Outlet) because I don't have to suffer the wind/rain/snow weather conditions.

I don't like shopping at Meadowhall or the Metro Centre.............even though they're really big.............they make me feel claustrophobic.

For me, one of the best reasons for avoiding the high street is the high cost of car parking.................that's if you can find a parking space.:eek:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • I am an absolute shop-a-holic, hence the reason I am now skint and a money saving ‘convert’. It’s very true, shopping in a centre / mall like Metro Centre for example is a trip out for me. I’ve seen me spend 10 hours in one visit there, shopping, bowling, cinema, lunch, theme park (now closed down sadly, it was ace!). However, as much as I loved it there, with the recession and the cost of petrol / living, etc I am now relying more on my local high street than ever before. Past years have seen me go to the Metro Centre / Trafford Centre / Dalton Park, etc for part of my Christmas Shopping, then on to the Internet for other bits. But now, I can’t afford to spend the P+P online, I can’t afford the petrol to get me to the Metro Centre and I now have to make do with the High Street offerings. Plus it’s a matter of time – I’m working two jobs to make ends meet, studying for a Masters and ebaying / hand making stuff every single spare minute I get! I suppose this will be the same for lots of people, unless they can reach a shopping ‘Mall’ cheaply and within a short distance, otherwise the local high street wins on convenience and cost!
  • epm-84
    epm-84 Posts: 2,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Doesn't this 'outdoor mall' thing already exist over here in the form of Liverpool One? Looking at its website it seems to be an outdoor shopping mall in all but name...

Yes Liverpool One is effectively what the Arndale Centre in Manchester would be like if it didn't have a roof and had concentre floors instead of vinyl floors. It even has outdoor escalators, which are very rare in the UK.

I think this kind of idea would work well in seaside resorts. People flock there in good weather so are going to be more attracted to visit an outdoor mall opposed to an indoor shopping centre.
  • I find most shopping centres in Edinburgh are rather boring. They don't entice you into spending hours browsing, that's for sure. Even the much spoken-about Ocean Terminal - yes it's huge, but it feels empty, it's not easy to navigate and it's not very welcoming.

I don't like these new entertainment 'malls' either. We have the Omni Centre, which has a gym, a Vue cinema, and lots of pubs & eateries. To me, it doesn't feel like a proper night out if you use the pubs & food places in there. I've done it twice, and wouldn't do it again. I only use the Omni for the easily-accesible cinema.

Unless they have some sort of roof, I think the concept of an 'outdoor mall' is just ridiculous. Surely 'shopping hub' would be more accurate? What's wrong with 'city centre'?!!
    "...Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate,
    but that we are powerful beyond measure". :o

- Nelson Mandela.
  • epm-84
    epm-84 Posts: 2,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Hush-Puppy wrote: »
    Surely 'shopping hub' would be more accurate? What's wrong with 'city centre'?!!

The term outdoor mall seems to come from the fact they have walkways upstairs as well as downstairs but then Chester city centre is historically like that.
  • shjo558
    shjo558 Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have decided to give all shopping centres a miss now. My nearest shopping centre is about 40 miles away and I can't justify spending all that money on petrol.

I used to head off to the Metro Centre for the whole day which would include several coffees, lunch and the obvious shopping but those days are past for me.

I would rather buy online, saving the petrol costs and use those discount voucher codes to get a wee bit extra off too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure