Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jammyjoe
    • By jammyjoe 27th Jun 17, 6:13 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    jammyjoe
    GWD Forestry Investment
    • 27th Jun 17, 6:13 PM
    GWD Forestry Investment 27th Jun 17 at 6:13 PM
    Iím invested with a company called GWD forestry since Aug 2015. I have Christmas trees and Annatto Seed changed from a Coconut investment in brazil gone south. The reason why Iíve generated this thread is because Iím due a payment from GWD owed to me for a coconut payment due for 2016. I have since discovered that others are due the same payments for 2015. A group Iím with, have been in discussions with GWD since Feb this year and as such GWD have stopped discussions with my group and I feel I need to go a different direction.
    Would be interested with others to discuss their experience with this topic.
Page 2
    • ForestryInvestor
    • By ForestryInvestor 28th Jun 17, 1:00 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ForestryInvestor
    Whats the difference between a "pure" scam and utter incompetence due to a flawed business plan that results in the loss of your money?

Next step, watch out for someone contacting you "promising" they can get your money back if you just make a small payment to enable the legal process to work (between a Spanish company operating in Brazil and Canada, good luck even if that isn't itself and out and out scam !!) .
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe

Well I have already been contacted by such a company making claims that GWD were purchased by another company and that I was due a payment as a result of the sale. How they got my contact details I do not know and how they knew I was an investor with GWD is a bit worrying to say the least.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 28th Jun 17, 1:02 PM
    • 9,093 Posts
    • 10,514 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Sad to say, that have more than double that amount invested....
    Originally posted by ForestryInvestor
    Never mind, just think of all those millions of dollars that'll be coming your way from that distant deceased relative in Nigeria once you pay the 'release fee'....
    • ForestryInvestor
    • By ForestryInvestor 28th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ForestryInvestor
    Never mind, just think of all those millions of dollars that'll be coming your way from that distant deceased relative in Nigeria once you pay the 'release fee'....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Sign me up..... might have a better chance than with my current investment
    • Gadfium
    • By Gadfium 28th Jun 17, 1:29 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    Gadfium
    All this thread needs is a new poster telling everyone how many £thousands they have made in this scam investment and just how damn great it is.....
    • Red Dog1
    • By Red Dog1 28th Jun 17, 1:33 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Red Dog1
    Absolutely right!
    Joe,
    When you say "Whats the difference between a "pure" scam and utter incompetence due to a flawed business plan that results in the loss of your money?"I can't agree with you more. Excuses do not matter.
    Regards
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 28th Jun 17, 2:01 PM
    • 12,962 Posts
    • 11,799 Thanks
    jimjames
    Sign me up..... might have a better chance than with my current investment
    This is a UK forum, why are people investing tens of thousands of Euros?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 28th Jun 17, 2:04 PM
    • 12,962 Posts
    • 11,799 Thanks
    jimjames
    Hi JimJames,
    The thing is that I have received some payments, but just not in line with expectations. As with any investments, there are no guarantees, but I don't believe this is a scam. However, in saying all that, if GWD is having challenges in making payments in schedule it does open up a lot of questions
    With many scams the income is paid out to you from your capital or from new investors coming on board. When either dries up then you stop receiving money which appears to be the case here.

Mainstream investments may not have a guaranteed value but they are at least protected from fraud and your money being stolen/misappropriated. With an unregulated investment like this you can lose the lot.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 28th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 5,143 Posts
    • 8,387 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Well I have already been contacted by such a company making claims that GWD were purchased by another company and that I was due a payment as a result of the sale. How they got my contact details I do not know
    I think you do.
    • jammyjoe
    • By jammyjoe 28th Jun 17, 2:10 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jammyjoe
    AnotherJoe/Red Dog 1,

As you've stated it doesn't matter what type of company it is, if there's no money forthcoming to their clients then you really can't call it a company. If they are not following contractual obligations then what's one to do (frustrated other Joe)
    • HKCAN
    • By HKCAN 28th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HKCAN
    I am also a client of GWD. My experience with them is very similar. Although i havent had any payments due yet, im invested in the eucalyptus project in brazil. The harvest is "supposed" to be this fall. Now that i see other investors' experiences.....im really scared i wont ever see that money again! Has anyone out there actually ever received full payments from GWD???
    • jammyjoe
    • By jammyjoe 28th Jun 17, 3:52 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jammyjoe
    Hi HKCAN,

I do believe ForestryInvestor has received some returns but as jimjames has stated above, does it make any difference whether you get paid or not, their business model is suspicious at best/worst. I'd like to come back here in 6 months and say the opposite but very much doubt it
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 28th Jun 17, 5:31 PM
    • 12,962 Posts
    • 11,799 Thanks
    jimjames
    I am also a client of GWD. My experience with them is very similar. Although i havent had any payments due yet, im invested in the eucalyptus project in brazil. The harvest is "supposed" to be this fall. Now that i see other investors' experiences.....im really scared i wont ever see that money again! Has anyone out there actually ever received full payments from GWD???
    Originally posted by HKCAN
    Are you based in the USA?
    • migger02
    • By migger02 29th Jun 17, 9:06 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    migger02
    I have invested almost 20,000 euro in acacia and coconut projects since 2010 and non of the payments due have ever arrived despite multiple promises.
    Originally posted by phileasphog
    I'm afraid more people having the issue with them.
    • Reaper
    • By Reaper 29th Jun 17, 10:48 AM
    • 6,355 Posts
    • 4,656 Thanks
    Reaper
    I do believe ForestryInvestor has received some returns
    Originally posted by jammyjoe
    Scams (and I don't know if this is one) often pay out some money to early investors to keep it going a little longer and avoid negative press. Only when it's time to cut and run do all payments stop.
    • Red Dog1
    • By Red Dog1 29th Jun 17, 3:18 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Red Dog1
    Hi All,
    Just curious.
    I know GWD is a "Forestry Company" but since GWD takes other people's money why are they not regulated? Are they not required to act decently to their investors by the government? Even as a Private Equity Company I would think that since they operate within European borders that above their contract (which is totally one-sided) that they have responsibilities to their clients to behave responsibly? It would seem that the game they are playing to constantly dodge payment issues and transparency would not be permissible.
    How can this be handled?
    • Reaper
    • By Reaper 29th Jun 17, 6:05 PM
    • 6,355 Posts
    • 4,656 Thanks
    Reaper
    The regulator can't regulate everything. If you lend your mate £100 and he promises to pay you back £110 after pay day the regulator won't get involved.

As an investor it is your choice whether to invest with a regulated or unregulated business. The gulf between the two if things go wrong is huge. No inexperienced investor should ever choose an unregulated business, a message regulars on this forum constantly try to push.
    • AndyT678
    • By AndyT678 29th Jun 17, 8:35 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    AndyT678
    Hi All,
    Just curious.
    I know GWD is a "Forestry Company" but since GWD takes other people's money why are they not regulated?
    Originally posted by Red Dog1
    By who and for what? If they're a company that basically grows trees in a dozen different 3rd world countries what regulations should they comply with?

Are they not required to act decently to their investors by the government?
    I'm not sure what that means. If it is a genuine business that has legitimately tried to grow some trees for you and ballsed it up then it can be argued that they have acted decently by attempting to do what they said they would.

If it's a scam to trouser your money and sail off into a caribbean sunset then they're already committing fraud and are probably prepared to ignore any additional "regulation" you want to try to impose.

How can this be handled?
    Sadly the only answer is due diligence on the part of the investor.
    • atush
    • By atush 29th Jun 17, 9:47 PM
    • 17,419 Posts
    • 10,954 Thanks
    atush
    With many scams the income is paid out to you from your capital or from new investors coming on board. When either dries up then you stop receiving money which appears to be the case here.

Mainstream investments may not have a guaranteed value but they are at least protected from fraud and your money being stolen/misappropriated. With an unregulated investment like this you can lose the lot.
    Originally posted by jimjames
    Bernie M did it that way
    • Red Dog1
    • By Red Dog1 30th Jun 17, 4:29 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Red Dog1
    Lawyer
    Hi,
    I know I have been duped and feel responsible for my mistakes but I have a hard believing that this scamming behavior is permissable. Trusting should not be a punishable offense.
    Has anyone found a good lawyer that can deal with the securities fraud going on here? I would like an attorney that can understand that GWD is trying to pass over the issue that they are actually an investment firm and not just simply growing trees?

Thanks,
    Red Dog
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 30th Jun 17, 5:20 PM
    • 12,962 Posts
    • 11,799 Thanks
    jimjames
    This is a UK forum, why are people investing tens of thousands of Euros?
    Originally posted by jimjames
    It also appears to be US based investors. None of the brand new posters have replied but which countries are this company selling investments to?

All those affected, where are you based?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,627Posts Today

9,967Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin