Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • daniel80
    • By daniel80 22nd Oct 15, 6:31 PM
    • 230Posts
    • 48Thanks
    daniel80
    London Capital and Finance
    • #1
    • 22nd Oct 15, 6:31 PM
    London Capital and Finance 22nd Oct 15 at 6:31 PM
    Anyone had any dealing with this company. My son has 25k to invest for only 2 years as it will be a house deposit. Iv`e told him to stay away from the stock market as 2 years is not long enough. As he is not overly keen with saving accounts cash isa`s etc due to low interest rates I said what about premium bonds a gamble on winning but stake is safe only loss would be inflation. When I googled investment ideas a link came up who were called specialist investment ideas with free advice. I put in my details..I received a call about half an hour later the guy recommended the above company which was based in Mayfair. he sounded very posh. He said London Capital and Finance were offering bonds paying 8% the money being lent to various companies to a maximum of 60% of their assist. He seems more of a salesman than an advisor and wants to phone back Monday. Brochure looks ok online but something does not seem right. Anyone dealt with these.

    MSE Insert

    Check out our Where to Start Saving guide for help.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 01-09-2016 at 2:14 PM.
Page 2
    • PropertyPlayer
    • By PropertyPlayer 22nd Mar 16, 11:17 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    PropertyPlayer
    @bowlhead99;


    Thank you for your exhaustive response.


    As far as the HtB return, although financially accurate, I'd contend your former scenario is unrealistic overall, because the balance for ongoing funding would need to be accessible, so would probably add 1%+ to your second calculation, giving almost exactly the 15% of my original approximation! so I wasn't trying to exaggerate either way, just being realistic.


    I appreciate your comprehensive overview of the pros and cons of various schemes, and take on board your opinion of this forum's perspective, but this thread was the only one I saw which specifically mentioned LC&F, which is why I hoped someone with specific knowledge/experience of them might respond and save me some legwork! Meanwhile I'll continue my quest.


    Giving you the benefit of the doubt -
    Originally posted by bowlhead99

    Thanks for that, which is warranted! I'll also look for some other threads as mentioned in your final paragraph to further my investment education - cheers
    • planteria
    • By planteria 22nd Mar 16, 2:46 PM
    • 5,097 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    planteria
    Decided to go with the help to but isa. Seems the best and safest by far.
    Originally posted by daniel80
    agreed, accepting the comments above.
    lending your sons money to London Capital and Finance is not the answer.
    • O1979
    • By O1979 15th Apr 16, 4:38 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    O1979
    I have gone onto the samewebsite and thought the same thing. I would say by the location off there office and previous veviews everything is ok with them and going good.The 3 year fixed interest bond income 8 % can be taken out quartely or for slighly higher amount left in too mature. The first deposit is not returnable for 3 years with a lot off people doing the similar thing. I would say that overal sum which is neing held by the company is safe.
    • O1979
    • By O1979 15th Apr 16, 4:39 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    O1979
    I would not know if anyone who is already receiving interest can recogmend this as a good source off income and respond too me.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 15th Apr 16, 5:12 PM
    • 6,704 Posts
    • 6,242 Thanks
    badger09
    I have gone onto the samewebsite and thought the same thing. I would say by the location off there office and previous veviews everything is ok with them and going good.The 3 year fixed interest bond income 8 % can be taken out quartely or for slighly higher amount left in too mature. The first deposit is not returnable for 3 years with a lot off people doing the similar thing. I would say that overal sum which is neing held by the company is safe.
    Originally posted by O1979
    Thanks for signing up to share your views. Your comments are all very reassuring.

    I would not know if anyone who is already receiving interest can recogmend this as a good source off income and respond too me.
    Originally posted by O1979
    I would not know of anyone either. Do tell us how you get on informed
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 15th Apr 16, 7:20 PM
    • 13,169 Posts
    • 12,151 Thanks
    jimjames
    London capital finance genuine?
    I would not know if anyone who is already receiving interest can recogmend this as a good source off income and respond too me.
    Originally posted by O1979
    I think we can safely say on the basis of your signup and recommendation that it isn't a good option
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 15th Apr 16, 8:13 PM
    • 8,470 Posts
    • 15,518 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    I have gone onto the samewebsite and thought the same thing. I would say by the location off there office and previous veviews everything is ok with them and going good.
    Originally posted by O1979
    I don't know that you can judge the reliability of investment returns from a location of an office.

    Still, if you can... per their website it's south of Tunbridge Wells, about 40 miles drive from central London. The nearest decent looking pub is the Neville Crest & Gun; it has two one-star reviews on Yelp. They have Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc on the wine list which is a good tipple but a bit too "trendy five years ago" to be the mark of a top sommelier. The food menu and drink selection s pretty similar to the other Brunning and Price pubs around the country.

    Does this make LC & F's bonds more or less secure? Or is it not the best way to do your due diligence on an investment where all your capital is at risk?

    The first deposit is not returnable for 3 years with a lot off people doing the similar thing. I would say that overal sum which is neing held by the company is safe.
    Well, I guess if "a lot off people doing the similar thing", nothing could go wrong.

    Although if it does go wrong, there will be a lot off people chasing the small amount of remaining assets to split between them.

    Good luck with your investments; you may need it.
    • coyrls
    • By coyrls 15th Apr 16, 8:19 PM
    • 1,136 Posts
    • 1,227 Thanks
    coyrls
    I have gone onto the samewebsite and thought the same thing. I would say by the location off there office and previous veviews everything is ok with them and going good.The 3 year fixed interest bond income 8 % can be taken out quartely or for slighly higher amount left in too mature. The first deposit is not returnable for 3 years with a lot off people doing the similar thing. I would say that overal sum which is neing held by the company is safe.
    Originally posted by O1979
    If London Capital and Finance are paying for recommendations, they should at least screen for the ability to spell and write grammatically.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 16th Apr 16, 8:34 AM
    • 5,433 Posts
    • 8,991 Thanks
    Malthusian
    London Capital & Finance aren't interested in the kind of mark who smells a rat when they see bad grammar and spelling.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 16th Apr 16, 10:22 AM
    • 13,169 Posts
    • 12,151 Thanks
    jimjames
    I don't know that you can judge the reliability of investment returns from a location of an office.

    Still, if you can... per their website it's south of Tunbridge Wells, about 40 miles drive from central London.
    Originally posted by bowlhead99
    Out of interest does anyone have the address? I'm that way over weekend and may have a little look....
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • mositt
    • By mositt 16th Apr 16, 1:35 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    mositt
    Avoiding scammers
    Forgive a newbe for jumping in with slightly different investment warning. Found this thread after googling best savings rates to find out where to invest the proceeds from two accounts which are maturing this month (5 yrs ago you could get 5% fixed interest!) This LC&F seemed attractive but I have learned over the years that if it seems too good to be true etc. and agree with everyone who warned against it. Maybe I need to start a new thread? The investments I want to warn about are films. Several years ago I followed internet links and invested in several 'guaranteed' investment opportunities with promises of royalties, with all sorts of legal-sounding assurances & signatures, trailers, posters advertising the films. I gradually got sucked into investing in 4 films and 80,000, all of which turned out to be scams and the swindlers disappeared with the money. there doesn't seem to be any way of getting the money back. Fraud are not interested. So beware!! M
    • badger09
    • By badger09 16th Apr 16, 1:37 PM
    • 6,704 Posts
    • 6,242 Thanks
    badger09
    Out of interest does anyone have the address? I'm that way over weekend and may have a little look....
    Originally posted by jimjames

    Here you go jj - scroll down to the pink bar at the bottom


    https://www.londoncapitalandfinance.co.uk/about-lcf

    The pub's ok - if a little pretentious. But then it is near (Royal) Tunbridge Wells

    http://www.brunningandprice.co.uk/nevillcrestandgun/

    Enjoy
    • badger09
    • By badger09 16th Apr 16, 1:41 PM
    • 6,704 Posts
    • 6,242 Thanks
    badger09
    Forgive a newbe for jumping in with slightly different investment warning. Found this thread after googling best savings rates to find out where to invest the proceeds from two accounts which are maturing this month (5 yrs ago you could get 5% fixed interest!) This LC&F seemed attractive but I have learned over the years that if it seems too good to be true etc. and agree with everyone who warned against it. Maybe I need to start a new thread? The investments I want to warn about are films. Several years ago I followed internet links and invested in several 'guaranteed' investment opportunities with promises of royalties, with all sorts of legal-sounding assurances & signatures, trailers, posters advertising the films. I gradually got sucked into investing in 4 films and 80,000, all of which turned out to be scams and the swindlers disappeared with the money. there doesn't seem to be any way of getting the money back. Fraud are not interested. So beware!! M
    Originally posted by mositt
    Probably better to start a new thread.

    This sort of 'investment' crops up fairly regularly on here, but warnings from experience might be useful to casual readers of this forum
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 16th Apr 16, 6:12 PM
    • 13,169 Posts
    • 12,151 Thanks
    jimjames
    Here you go jj - scroll down to the pink bar at the bottom


    https://www.londoncapitalandfinance.co.uk/about-lcf

    The pub's ok - if a little pretentious. But then it is near (Royal) Tunbridge Wells

    http://www.brunningandprice.co.uk/nevillcrestandgun/

    Enjoy
    Originally posted by badger09
    Yes, I go past that pub a fair bit.

    Companies house have some info, anyone read more into it?
    http://www.companieshousedata.co.uk/c/08140312

    They have 2 mortgages, would you expect that for a property company raising funds?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 16th Apr 16, 8:48 PM
    • 8,470 Posts
    • 15,518 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    They have 2 mortgages, would you expect that for a property company raising funds?
    Originally posted by jimjames
    Yes, as a long term commercial mortgage or two on their own office premises will likely be cheaper than the 8% which is demanded by people funding the investment portfolio by way of retail bonds.
    • mositt
    • By mositt 17th Apr 16, 6:50 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    mositt
    Thanks Badger 09
    I'll try to start a new thread. M
    • Richard54321
    • By Richard54321 24th May 16, 8:16 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Richard54321
    Hi Everyone. I think the point of this thread has been lost. I know I am new and so not an expert at these things but surely there are only two things to consider here.
    1) Is this a reliable company - companies can make or lose money but if they have a good history then they are a safer bet than someone who has regularly lost money in the past. Checking on companies history they have been around since 1987. This would give me confidence if it was a continuous business record, but they have been registered under a dozen other names in this time and keep changing addresses. So do they just change their name, or is this a sign of instability and covering losses? Bottom line - are they an ongoing concern or a continually resurrected disaster? How do you find out?

    2) Are the warnings just standard for this type of investment because of occasional losses, or is total loss of funds a regular thing? A good return with 99% chance of success is very interesting even if there is a 1% chance of loss. But a 50% chance of losing everything suddenly looks a lot less interesting!

    So anyone actually give any pointers as to how to sensibly assess this type of risk for someone who may have enough money to risk some of it but not wanting to literally throw it in the bin?
    • O1979
    • By O1979 24th May 16, 11:56 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    O1979
    I have an account with money capital and finance. I found out the first 1000 interest is not meant too be taxed. With London Capital and finance the interest is taxed 20%. Also I thought the interest gain off 8% is not worth the risk off losing the bulk to get that interest return because at the end off the set period off 1-2 or 3 years with London Capital
    and Finance. The investor could
    run into some problems getting their 30000 or whatever they invest back off the company.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 24th May 16, 12:57 PM
    • 97,596 Posts
    • 65,723 Thanks
    dunstonh
    2) Are the warnings just standard for this type of investment because of occasional losses, or is total loss of funds a regular thing? A good return with 99% chance of success is very interesting even if there is a 1% chance of loss. But a 50% chance of losing everything suddenly looks a lot less interesting!
    You cant put odds on failure. Lehmans failed. What odds on failure would they have got pre credit crunch?

    This is not a retail product. It is a direct investment with no consumer protection if it goes wrong. i.e. 100% loss potential with no FSCS protection. Not suitable for inexperienced investors. However, as part of a balanced portfolio of shares and fixed interest securities, it could have a place.

    Do you have a balanced portfolio of shares and fixed interest securities?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • O1979
    • By O1979 24th May 16, 2:39 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    O1979
    The interest is taxed 20% and the 8 % interest is not worth the risk getting because no garentee the full invest will get back after 1-2 or 3 years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

127Posts Today

1,716Users online

Martin's Twitter