Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • QQQ
    • By QQQ 27th Nov 18, 3:27 PM
    • 282Posts
    • 15Thanks
    QQQ
    What is the best online marketplace to get best price for my stuff I do not need anymore?
    • 27th Nov 18, 3:27 PM
    What is the best online marketplace to get best price for my stuff I do not need anymore? 27th Nov 18 at 3:27 PM
    What is the best online marketplace to get good price for my stuff I do not need anymore (electronics, cloth, appliances etc)?

So far I tried eBay, Gumtree and local Facebook groups and my experience was not great:

eBay - if auction starts from 99p then achieved price is several times lower than I would reasonably expect. If I start an auction from that price no one bids. Auctions with reserve are just ignored. Most of those who bid did not pay and were not afraid of unpaid records.

Gumtree - hundreds of shameless offers (e.g. quarter of a price) and very few sales for a reasonable price. A lot of timewasters and noncomers.

Local groups in Facebook - flood of 'watz ya best price bruv?' and very few sales.

So where do you sell your unwanted stuff with no rush but for a reasonable price?
    Last edited by QQQ; 27-11-2018 at 3:30 PM.
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 27th Nov 18, 3:35 PM
    • 61,730 Posts
    • 44,240 Thanks
    soolin
    • 27th Nov 18, 3:35 PM
    • 27th Nov 18, 3:35 PM
    What is the best online marketplace to get good price for my stuff I do not need anymore (electronics, cloth, appliances etc)?

So far I tried eBay, Gumtree and local Facebook groups and my experience was not great:

eBay - if auction starts from 99p then achieved price is several times lower than I would reasonably expect. If I start an auction from that price no one bids. Auctions with reserve are just ignored. Most of those who bid did not pay and were not afraid of unpaid records.

Gumtree - hundreds of shameless offers (e.g. quarter of a price) and very few sales for a reasonable price. A lot of timewasters and noncomers.

Local groups in Facebook - flood of 'watz ya best price bruv?' and very few sales.

So where do you sell your unwanted stuff with no rush but for a reasonable price?
    Originally posted by QQQ
    You've tried all the logical places which leaves car boots really, and then perhaps just donating your items. Not everything has a second hand value, sometimes you just have to accept that people don't want your unwanted items.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 27th Nov 18, 7:50 PM
    • 28,749 Posts
    • 11,758 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 27th Nov 18, 7:50 PM
    • 27th Nov 18, 7:50 PM
    Exactly that, goods sell for a lot less than you expect, you over value your goods.

Buyers will bid what they think is a fair price, if they were worth more then people would bid more.

No bids with a higher start price = you overpriced it. Reserve auctions are a waste of money, start at your minimum price instead.

Non paying bidders, do you have silly terms and conditions? I find that sellers that state you must pay by date or any loss is yours etc attracts scammers and time wasters.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • dont_use_vistaprint
    • By dont_use_vistaprint 28th Nov 18, 11:00 AM
    • 401 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    dont_use_vistaprint
    • 28th Nov 18, 11:00 AM
    • 28th Nov 18, 11:00 AM
    Gumtree and Facebook are the best - just keep re-listing on Gumtree and provide excessive amount of detail. Put the images in separate folders on your phone and get the app, its a little easier. Save the descriptions as Notes so you can copy&Paste. Keep the price high and limit the contact methods, you're targeting the serious buyers only. Offer delivery and include details costs, offer local pickup too, mention the nearest motorway junction e.g 15 mins from M1 J8.

Its a pain but its the best way to get your price. Its a mix of timing, luck and detail, obviously your expectations have to be sound, there needs to be a buyer out there.

Exactly that, goods sell for a lot less than you expect, you over value your goods.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    That's not true, the best ebay and amazon business target the highest possible price, with USP's, the race to the bottom simply doesn't work
    Last edited by dont_use_vistaprint; 28-11-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 28th Nov 18, 3:26 PM
    • 61,730 Posts
    • 44,240 Thanks
    soolin
    • 28th Nov 18, 3:26 PM
    • 28th Nov 18, 3:26 PM
    Gumtree and Facebook are the best - just keep re-listing on Gumtree and provide excessive amount of detail. Put the images in separate folders on your phone and get the app, its a little easier. Save the descriptions as Notes so you can copy&Paste. Keep the price high and limit the contact methods, you're targeting the serious buyers only. Offer delivery and include details costs, offer local pickup too, mention the nearest motorway junction e.g 15 mins from M1 J8.

Its a pain but its the best way to get your price. Its a mix of timing, luck and detail, obviously your expectations have to be sound, there needs to be a buyer out there.

That's not true, the best ebay and amazon business target the highest possible price, with USP's, the race to the bottom simply doesn't work
    Originally posted by dont_use_vistaprint
    Business model tactics for second hand unwanted goods?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • dont_use_vistaprint
    • By dont_use_vistaprint 28th Nov 18, 3:37 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    dont_use_vistaprint
    • 28th Nov 18, 3:37 PM
    • 28th Nov 18, 3:37 PM
    Business model tactics for second hand unwanted goods?
    Originally posted by soolin
    Its all on the same Interweb, the same bunch of customers, the same rules apply :-)
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 28th Nov 18, 3:43 PM
    • 3,667 Posts
    • 2,071 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 28th Nov 18, 3:43 PM
    • 28th Nov 18, 3:43 PM
    What is the best online marketplace to get best price for my stuff I do not need anymore?
    It's always a good conversation to have. When I started 10 years ago, it was 1.14 to send a shoe box through the post using a franking machine and not much more at the post office (and no eBay fees on that back then). Now with too many sellers and too few buyers and eBay taking a back hander on top of fees in the form of a "promote your item", you have to ask if those days are over?
    Last edited by ballisticbrian; 28-11-2018 at 3:54 PM.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 28th Nov 18, 6:31 PM
    • 5,693 Posts
    • 7,010 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 28th Nov 18, 6:31 PM
    • 28th Nov 18, 6:31 PM
    What about ebay buy it now?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 28th Nov 18, 7:23 PM
    • 28,749 Posts
    • 11,758 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 28th Nov 18, 7:23 PM
    • 28th Nov 18, 7:23 PM
    If the OP uses BIN they dont get any sales. Overpriced or its not a popular item and there are no buyers for it/them.

Going back a fair few years now, i would buy stuff from all over the place and have a day out collect the items. Now you work out the distance and think a courier is far cheaper.

Unless items are local its often cheaper to have it delivered these days.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

• hollydays
    • By hollydays 28th Nov 18, 8:16 PM
    • 16,994 Posts
    • 13,145 Thanks
    hollydays
    How have you figured out what you' think' your items are worth?
    • QQQ
    • By QQQ 25th Dec 18, 7:20 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    QQQ
    How have you figured out what you' think' your items are worth?
    Originally posted by hollydays
    Well, if you cannot sell a 40 inch LED TV for anything above 30 then something is wrong with the marketplace.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 25th Dec 18, 9:23 PM
    • 13,206 Posts
    • 9,038 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Well, if you cannot sell a 40 inch LED TV for anything above 30 then something is wrong with the marketplace.
    Originally posted by QQQ
    Or the ad, or the item.....

There are plenty that have sold way above that price - have you checked the completed and sold listings for your make/model?

Perhaps you have unfavourable terms, a non desirable model, collection only from an obscure place....no one can say without knowing where you are and what it is and what the ad said. Perhaps compare sold items to what you are selling.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 25th Dec 18, 11:01 PM
    • 28,749 Posts
    • 11,758 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Brand new 40" delivered from Amazon 200 ish. So a used one with an unknown life expectancy would be around 30 - 50 in my mind.

Add in the costs to collect the item and you limit the number of buyers and the final price further.

So nothing wrong with the market, your exact item, the advert and your location will vary the final value. Depends what you think its worth though.

You may have paid a lot of money for it but with a new budget one around 200 it may have lost a lot of value.

• the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 9th Jan 19, 9:05 AM
    • 2,326 Posts
    • 1,363 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    My view is you should price yourself a little high with the aim of selling about 30% and then get shot of the rest for whatever you can.

Looking at secondhand stuff I see a lot of dark photos with next to no description.

Something like a TV I'd want to see a photo of it working and plenty of pictures showing it's condition.

It's better to say there is a scratch here with a photo of it than just stating good condition as if you've taken the time to list defects buyers should then be confident the rest of the item is free from any further defects.

For a TV I'd like to know the main points (like how many HDMI ports) but a copy and paste of the manufactures spec is usually a lot of jargon that people ignore, those who want to know all this probably won't be buying second hand for 30.

Unless you have something special 99p auctions are generally a waste of time but a BIN can see a sale.

Plenty of things that would only get the 1 bid at 99p could easily pick up a 5 BIN if the effort goes in to the description and photos.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 12th Jan 19, 7:03 PM
    • 6,101 Posts
    • 5,504 Thanks
    mgdavid
    i have used gumtree.com.au and sell lots of products.It seems sold very well
    Originally posted by arlenewei

Why use gumtree Australia? - this is a UK based website...
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

26Posts Today

2,389Users online

Martin's Twitter