Barclays as a mule

Options
Hi All,
Long time stoozer, not much of a poster :-)

Current stooze pot is 30k against my offset mortgage which is now saving me 60-70 in interest each month - over 2k since this mortgage started.

I haven't been using BT cards via a mule for a very long time (still missing Egg)... I've seen people do this with Virgin and MBNA on these boards recently though.

I closed my Virgin card a few months ago with a plan to re-apply in another few months (right now they don't want to know me). *But*I have a Barclays card that I use as a backup spending card when everything else is maxxed. Does anyone have any experience of using barclays to go into a +ve balance and if they will then transfer to a bank account?

Cheers,
Dibbler

Comments

• Dibbler
    Options
    Alternatively, I also have a post office card - anyone tried them with a +ve balance?
  • mrs_T
    mrs_T Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have successfully done this with Barclaycard a few times but not for a few years. No problems getting positive balances refunded via secure messaging.
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't tell the bank you want to open a mule account. In banking, this term is used to describe accounts used to launder the proceeds of crime!
  • Dibbler
    Options
    Cheers, I already have the Barclays card, was just looking for anyone that might have tried using it with a +ve balance.
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Barclays sometimes do low fee money transfer offers.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Dibbler
    Dibbler Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    An update to close the thread - used Barclays as a mule just fine.

There was a slight issue with transferring the positive balance over to by bank account as the first of my bank accounts they tried wouldn't work for some reason. I tried with a second account (same phone call) and all went well. BUT... for my 'inconvenience' they gave me £25. :-)
    5557223 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I will be trying this with my BC... just to understand was your amounts in the hundreds or thousands?
  • Dibbler
    Dibbler Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    It was in the thousands - and they just did it again...
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have intention to redesignate (if possible) my Barclays platinum to Barclays Platinum Travel.

I am aware that Barclay Platinum could be used as a mule card. What about Is Barclays Platinum Travel could they also be used as a mule card in the same way with old Barclay Platinum ?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this ?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport