Don't we just love the drama!

My partner's ex-wife walked uninvited by us into our house. His son wanted to live with us because his mum was moving to Wales and he didn't want to move.! We said only on the condition that he found work. He's 17 and up to this point his mother had let him leave college and sit around doing nothing for months.!! He came to live with us but only emerged from his room to be fed. He never pulled his weight around the house and when we asked him, he refused to even look for work.! He then decided that he'd go to Wales to stay with his mother, however he left most of his belongings here.! I suspected that he wanted to flit between both places so he'd never have to look for work.! He phoned my partner a few days ago and said he was coming back. My partner said no because he still isn't looking for work.

So yesterday he just let himself in. My partner! asked him what he was doing and said "You told me that you're staying at your gran's." He said he didn't want to and my partner said he couldn't stay with us. I followed him to the room he'd been staying in and really calmly but firmly told him that he'd need to get a job, but he told me to f*** off.! I told him not to talk to me like that and he said he could f'ing talk to me any way he f'ing wanted and pushed me out the way.! I told him to leave my house and he said no.! Then he took his phone out and proceeded to phone someone. I thought it was his gran, who lives nearby.

I went into the garden with my partner! and a few minutes later I heard a female voice. He had let his mother into our house.! This is a property that we had bought together and she was specifically told she was not welcome here.! My partner asked her to leave, but she refused. I told her to leave and she still wouldn't so when she stepped over the door to put something in her car I slammed the door shut. The son opened it again and I told her to stay out my house, but she forced herself in and shoved me to the side.! She had her horrible brother and her man with her, who threatened to f'ing flatten me.!

It all got heated and my partner took me to the garden so they could get the son's things.! I really did not want her there as she was trespassing.! I'm still fuming. Who the hell does she think she is?! I had every right to use reasonable force to get her out. There was no violence, and I did wait for her to make the first move before trying to get her off my property. How dare they! Once they'd left I went into the room and they'd thrown everything around it.

I know she was there for her son, but she actually doesn't want him either and told my partner that he was a lazy good for nothing, but she was in my house uninvited and unwanted. Until this I'd never actually met the woman!

I'm fine, just angry! Still debating about seeing a solicitor to write to the three of them (not the son) telling them to stay away. I don't think I over reacted - some of you may argue with this, .but she seems to get kicks from upsetting my partner. Any advice would be helpful.

Comments

• Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    If this is genuine my advice is to change all the locks the the house.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Put it behind you.

I think it's reasonable for his son to let himself in, the problem seems his mother. Which I would totally be furious about too. Why would she even think she can do that.....

He has his belongings. Make it perfectly clear it is not to happen again.

Move on.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    So they were there to pick up his belongings surely that was a good thing? Or would you have wanted that she stayed in the car whilst he loaded it all himself which would have taken longer?

You're right that she shouldn't have barged in and I understand your anger but in this case you should have either grit your teeth and let your partner deal with it or call the police immediately.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    If he's 17 shouldn't he still be in full time education or training, legally?
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    tbh, the drama with the ex missus sounds a bit OTT in front of your partner's son. He's the one who let her in so probably felt terrible. Yes she should have said no, it's not appropriate, but sometimes with 'blended families', you just have to bite your tongue and not make a scene in front of people.

Is screaming and shouting and forbidding him entry or a home really the way to deal with someone who's not working? Just all seems a bit unnecessarily dramatic.

Count yourself lucky - my other half's ex wife keeps trying to get us both round for dinner/family gatherings *rolls eyes*. I'd go, but the BF thinks it's just too weird. She even said to him 'Jo won't mind if I get the old videos out from 20+ years ago will she?'. Erm...

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Yes, unfortunately this is totally genuine I'm afraid. It was like something out of a soap opera, but I did actually live through this yesterday :(
  • I suppose hindsight is a wonderful thing and yes you are right. He did have his step dad and uncle they're and if they had asked to come in, it would have been a different story. I wouldn't dream of walking into someone's house uninvited. Thanks for your reply
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Change the locks.
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • I couldn't ever see us being invited round for dinner ... video or no video.
    It's not just the not looking for work. He sits in his room on X-box all night then stays in bed all day until I feed him. It's an accumulation of things really. We'd have him here if he'd pull his weight!
    Thank you for taking time to reply. I do appreciate it :)
  • He should but his mother allowed him to leave without a job or anything. We tried to help get a job/apprenticeship and even contacted the job centre to get adice. Although it's illegal they couldn't force him to do anything. He's just work shy I guess :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure