Next door blocking gutter

Comments

• oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    It could certainly lead to a damp problem for the OP, and having the gutter permenanty filled with water could lead to it eventually collapsing.

It may be possible that your idiot neighbour may be in breach of building regs himself. Have a word with with your local building control people to see if they can do anything.

Thank you. will do this tomorrow.
  • oldtractor
    Forumite
    jack_pott wrote: »
    Try ringing building control to ask if you need planning permission for a new downpipe/soakaway, and then see if they take the bait and start asking why you need to do it.

Thank you. I'm contacting the council tomorrow will ask.
  • oldtractor
    Forumite
    I've rung the council. There building surveyor said hes no right to do what he has done as he is interfering with my Right to Drainage. If he wants to keep the gutter blocked then he has to provide alternative provision for the water from our gutter to get away ie provide another downspout for us at his cost.
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    oldtractor wrote: »
    I've rung the council. There building surveyor said hes no right to do what he has done as he is interfering with my Right to Drainage. If he wants to keep the gutter blocked then he has to provide alternative provision for the water from our gutter to get away ie provide another downspout for us at his cost.

But more importantly, who is going to enforce that? I assume that the Council won't.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ComicGeek wrote: »
    But more importantly, who is going to enforce that? I assume that the Council won't.

You have to get solicitors involved. :(

As the neighbour has very deliberately blocked the gutter, it may be cheaper to make a new down-spout rather than spend money with solicitors trying to force him to comply with the law.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Fit a down-spout into a rain barrel / water butt? Then you can use it for the garden (and might not need to empty it very often)?
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 2,998
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mojisola wrote: »

As the neighbour has very deliberately blocked the gutter, it may be cheaper to make a new down-spout rather than spend money with solicitors trying to force him to comply with the law.

Building control may enforce this - have you asked?

If not, check your home and car insurance to see if you have legal cover on these.
  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'd just remove the blockage and put it in his bin.

Really ... how likely is it that he will check it? He probably feels better thinking he got one over on you. If he does question it's removal tell him about your conversation with the council.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Mojisola wrote: »
    No they don't! Neighbour has made alterations to their gutter which impedes a long-standing drainage arrangement. It's up to BC (or possibly the private housing officer) to issue enforcement notices, and I have had such a notice myself! BC should be going about this right now, and shouldn't need a further formal complaint.
  • I'd just remove the blockage and put it in his bin.

So would I.

"Hey Mr Neighbour, I found this blockage whilst inspecting the gutters, I'm not sure how it got there but I've removed it to stop it overflowing as I wouldn't a leak to cause damage to either of our properties."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure