First Direct Current Account Switch Blagged Deal

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    em_z wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing this. I'm happy with my bank but the £125 would come in handy. Has the process gone smoothly for those who have switched so far?

Switch went well for me and I got the £125 paid into my new account.

The process for opening a new account is tedious.

Their online system is dreadful to use.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • byeo
    byeo Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    missile wrote: »
    The process for opening a new account is tedious.

Their online system is dreadful to use.

100% agreed. Just done an application with them, first time I had to start again as I (assumed) it crashed, second time it went through fine but have to wait for someone to get in touch before a decision is made. If it goes through I guess the £125 bonus eases the pain.
  • Agreed with online issues.

I went to register an online user. Went through the process. Told me it had failed, at the end.
    It hadn't failed, and in fact I could log in fine with the username I just registered.

Same with secure key app set up. Told me it failed. Worked fine.
  • byeo
    Got an email from FD about wanting two documents to confirm my ID and address, can't send in original's so need to get a Dr or similar to sign. Don't want to do that as a cost will be involved, how does First Direct's online webcam service work? Do you just hold up your documents to be verified or something ?
  • ev8
    ev8 Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Came on here as I am looking into this.

I'm already a Halifax customer, but have a Natwest current account too, and the good thing is they offer it to existing members too, so I can keep the account I already have.

I read in an article that they can offer you more than the £125 that they are offering, would you ask to negotiate the amount?

If not HSBC are offering more to switch, but it's not as convenient as keeping the same sort code and account number.

Thanks for any advice.
  • byeo
    byeo wrote: »
    Got an email from FD about wanting two documents to confirm my ID and address, can't send in original's so need to get a Dr or similar to sign. Don't want to do that as a cost will be involved, how does First Direct's online webcam service work? Do you just hold up your documents to be verified or something ?

Well, did the webcam thing this weekend, first attempt went bad, the website didn't work, tried again and then it said the webcam didn't work. Third attempt a day later was better, I manager to scan my passport, driving licence and take a photo of my face... which it then rejected. Fourth attempt was a success, everything went through fine and I received a text message yesterday thanks for your documents, we'll be in touch etc...

To say they're rated number 1 in customer service their online service is very, very poor.
  • Just had my bonus paid in. Only £100, but I do recall the person on the phone said the extra may be paid in separately.
  • I'm new to this blog and reading more details of woe I don't think I want to put in for a bank account.
    Bankers are Bankers.. Some have money in their wallets Some have OIL TANKERS.... Greed to the hilt!
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    theeflash1 wrote: »
    I'm new to this blog and reading more details of woe I don't think I want to put in for a bank account.
    Bankers are Bankers.. Some have money in their wallets Some have OIL TANKERS.... Greed to the hilt!
    ....and some (such as the subjects of this thread) insist on giving you £100, with minimal strings attached, simply for switching a current account to them, how devious of them! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure