From debt to freedom...

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,038 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Have a lovely time with DD! Your cooking is so organised - top money saving! :money:
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Thank you Cherryfudge.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ahh have a fab time with DD! Wednesday is supposed to be a good day weather wise!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have a lovely time visiting your DD1. I hadn't realised she was 4 hours away, what she's studying and how's she enjoyed her first few weeks?
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    She is loving her course...she's studying art/ fashion design. Much to my relief her fridge had real food in it, with the now iced carrot cake that she can share with her flat mates. She has settled in well. It's been fascinating to see how the other children have been today. DD5 has really missed her big sister and was so pleased to see her. DS2 hadn't been before so it has been good for him to visualise her space. DD2 spent the time tidying her sister's room!
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    I had better success with the surveys yesterday. You were right Louby, Prolific seem to have more surveys available in the morning, which is ok for half term. Pleased to have completed a couple.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 October 2017 at 9:28AM
    Options
    The time went so quickly when we were visiting DD1. We didn't get time to go to the nearby NT property but we did have a wonderful time completing a river walk that is close to her halls. It was so calm and peaceful and we spotted a couple of coots on the river bank:). All free fun :).

We got back on Wednesday night and on Thursday 3 of the DDs went to a youth conference day. This had already been paid for. This gave me time with DD5 and the DSs. It's always interesting having the children in different combinations. It gave me chance to have an unexpected but good chat about future options with DS1. The boys wanted to go swimming and surprised me with their money savviness. They turned down the offer of a fun action pool session at a distant pool in favour of a simple leisure swim at our nearest pool:):). The toddler really enjoyed himself:D.
    On our return I tried a new recipe out which worked really well. It was quick and easy and quite economical to make. Basically it was a kale hash so used an onion, 2 cloves of garlic, a pound of potatoes, a bag of kale and some chorizo. Cooked altogether in the pan until the potato was soft, then topped with a poached egg. Delicious! It's an easy recipe to double up so will do this again in the future.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    I have been interested to see how much was spent during our visit to DD1. The car seems to perform much better on longer distances so I'm always pleasantly surprised by the diesel consumption. The biggest cost was staying overnight and eating out on the evening we were there. This was due to not having a kitchen space in the travelodge but trying to fit all of us in DD1's hall kitchen wasn't an option either. It gives me chance to factor in these costs to the budget so that I am more prepared next time.
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We always stay in Travelodges. Can’t beat them for value and there are often cash back options too, not much but it all adds up.

We always take porridge pots from Aldi 39p, never pay for the breakfasts there, far too expensive.

Glad you enjoyed visiting DD. Not long till Christmas-will you see her before?
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    I went food shopping yesterday, having written a menu plan first:). I'll need to spend today, getting prepared workwise for the new week and catching up on filling the cake tins. I still have a box full of windfall apples that could do with being used, so apple cake is definitely on the menu!

I've had a good look at the budget for the next month, making sure that I'm putting money aside each week to meet the HMRC payment as this starts in November. I have also been thinking about how I could utilise the allotment more. I love being there and it is relaxing but I've really struggled for time. I'm trying to think of a way that I can factor a regular time slot there so that I can get the beds ready for planting more next year. We did have a reasonable harvest, especially with the runner beans but I know that with a little more thoughtful planning I could have harvested more eg putting netting over the jostaberries would have meant us having some rather than the birds having them all. I also have areas marked out for chickens that have housed chickens in the past, and could again. I don't want it to be wasted...and I do like the children having the experience of having chickens. The older children have all enjoyed collecting eggs, watching eggs hatch and the chicks growing to adulthood but the younger ones haven't so I'd like to factor that into my 2018 plans.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family