misstara's debt diary 2014

Comments

• StressedSteph
    StressedSteph Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning MissT

What a pain that shift getting cancelled. I have that often with the Spa treatments I do, and I have always spent the money in my head before I even do it, so very frustrating when it gets cancelled.

I need to get like you - I need to question EVERY penny I spend, I am such a softie with the children and have spend a small fortune during May on Cricket sports wear and horse riding outfits. Really annoyed now when I look back and see how much they all added up to, especially as I currently have £6.56 in my bank account :eek:.

I like your feeling that something will turn up and sort it out as it invariably does and there is no point getting stressed over things you can't control, like extra shift availability etc.

I do hate it when I have a commitment like a wedding or an expensive night out and its such a struggle to find the money. I usually end up backing out, but I expect you can't get out of it as its a wedding and people will be disappointed.

Well done on getting the debt down to 5.5k ...Fantastic xxx

I am going to channel you MissT and get super tight with my finances from now on :D
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm the same Steph and it is so annoying when they cancel especially at the moment when there's not another shift to pick up to cover it. I still haven't heard from 2nd job so I think the chances of picking up a shift for Sunday are slim but you never know.

The plus side to having no additional shifts is that I can get to the gym regularly (went again this morning) and the flat is spotless as I have plenty of time to clean. I also have time to shop around so I managed to get most of my shopping list for £12.48 :) very pleased with that.

However, I went to the doctors again this afternoon as I'm still not feeling good and have agreed to follow a gluten free diet for a month. Although my blood test came back not coeliac, she thinks I might still have a gluten intolerance. Unfortunately it puts my meal plan in a bit of disarray as I can't eat everything on it and I don't have the spare money to buy gluten free pasta, bread, etc. Ah well I'll have a look at it again tomorrow and see what I can change.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10542.72/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1402.24/£1500 (93.5% saved).
  • misstara
    Spends for today are £8.80 on corn cakes, gluten free pasta and chocolate. The gluten free pasta isn't too expensive but didn't get bread as it was almost £3 a loaf :eek: I got 3 packs of corn cakes so that should keep me going. I've now gone over the £20 budget I set but it can't be helped.

Still no shift for tomorrow so probably won't get one now but have picked up a 14 hr shift on Monday :D
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10542.72/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1402.24/£1500 (93.5% saved).
  • misstara
    No shift today :( which means no wages on Friday :( however I'll use the wedding fund money plus the £20 I've already put by to cover my direct debits and the money that OH will give me will pay for food.

It was a beautiful day here so me and OH went out for a long walk. It has been a NSD. We debated whether to go for a cup of tea somewhere but decided to save our money.

Gluten free diet is going well so far but I feel like I'm hungry all the time. Everything I eat only fills me up for a short time and then I'm hungry again. I guess I didn't realise just how much bread fills you up.

Right best get off to bed as I'm up early for the long shift tomorrow. Night :)
  • monz
    monz Posts: 4,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud! Stoptober Survivor
    Good news on picking up a 14 hour shift.. bad news working it :Px
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016) mortgage port- £70,077.82 and mortgage £126,517.39 o/s currently
    Debt - £17,190.83 (29/7/22) now (19/8/22) £16,688.80
  • misstara
    monz wrote: »
    Good news on picking up a 14 hour shift.. bad news working it :Px

It wasn't fun but I survived. A NSD today. Off to bed now, very tired.
  • misstara
    Spends for yesterday are £4 on eggs and cleaning stuff. I've been eating eggs for breakfast the past few mornings but it's definitely not the same without bread. I think I will try the GF bread at some point despite the cost. I feel lots better, no pain and my stomach is flatter than it has been for years so it looks as though gluten is the issue. I also spent £4.35 on vitamins.

Today should be a NSD. I've hired a car this morning as OH has a hospital appointment and will be going straight to work after. He said he will give me the money back though once the bill comes through.

I've been thinking and there's no way I'm going to be able to save much money for the hen weekend and wedding. Me and OH are away to visit friends next weekend, the hen weekend is the weekend after and the wedding two weekends after that. So I've decided to take a payment holiday in June for my loan. Maybe not the smartest idea ever but I don't know what else to do. I will make sure that I cover the interest so that my debt doesn't go up and that will still free up about £200 to use. The other wedding I'm going to is local so shouldn't cost too much.

I'm also going to add up how much I will need for my direct debits in June and put this money aside so that if 2nd job shifts don't pick up soon, at least they are covered.
  • Like you say miss t, it's not ideal but it's being done in a planned way with you being totally in control. Well done
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • misstara
    Like you say miss t, it's not ideal but it's being done in a planned way with you being totally in control. Well done

Thanks INOD. I figured it was better to think about it now than start panicking just before I go.

I've figured out that I will need £125 to pay my direct debits in June so will get that put by at the end of the month.
  • dawnybabes
    dawnybabes Posts: 2,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ds is coeliac so if you need any help,or advice fire away.
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family