Buying gift for daughter.

Hi,

I'd like to buy my daughter a gift that is from the year of her birth. I'd like to get something that is kind of like an investment. I was looking at coins at the royal mint and i have seen one that is in stock. I'd like it to be something she can hold onto for a long time. Strictly speaking I wouldn't want her to sell it but it would be nice if it went up in value over time. Do these coins increase in value?

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/remembrance-day/the-remembrance-day-2017-uk-5-pound-silver-proof-coin/

Comments

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    generally not by much, look on ebay for similar sold coins.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Have you considered a jewellery item in maybe silver that has the date letter for 2017?

I bought my sister a bangle that was made in the year she was born for a significant birthday
    It seems that hallmarks don't always have the date letter on nowadays though.
    What is a Hallmark?

Until 1998, a Hallmark consisted of four COMPULSORY MARKS. Since 1998 the date letter has become optional but the other three symbols remain compulsory. The symbols give the following information:
    • who made the article
    • what is its guaranteed standard of fineness
    • the Assay Office at which the article was tested and marked
    • the year in which the article was tested and marked
    https://theassayoffice.co.uk/help-with-hallmarks/anatomy-of-a-hallmark
  • Batman2017
    Batman2017 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thanks for the replies so far. I think I would like something that could be displayed on a shelf for example although I wouldnt rule out jewellery.
  • Pollycat
    Batman2017 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies so far. I think I would like something that could be displayed on a shelf for example although I wouldnt rule out jewellery.
    Then as zla suggests, look on ebay.

I don't know if it's an identical item but there's one on BIN for £14.99 + £2.99 p&p - much cheaper than the one in your link.
  • Batman2017
    Thanks for checking for me. i just looked on ebay. I think i found the one your referring to. That one isn't silver hence the big price gap.
  • Pollycat
    Batman2017 wrote: »
    Thanks for checking for me. i just looked on ebay. I think i found the one your referring to. That one isn't silver hence the big price gap.
    Ah. :o

But all the same, a nice commemoration with her DOB on should you decide the silver coins aren't that good an investment. :)
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you don't want her to sell it, why does it need to go up in value?

Does she like collecting things or is she minimalistic - will it just be put in a cupboard?

What about something she would wear so it is with her regularly and she will attach the thought gift to that, a necklace, charm etc. Maybe with roman numerals of her dob, or coordinates of her home town etc.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My husband has been keeping a scrapbook since our daughter was born. It starts with a picture of her as an embryo, scan pictures, the staples from my Caesarian, first lock of hair, details of milestones (,sitting, crawling etc) funny photos, drawings, notes of silly things she's said. Mainly it's full of daft little comments and memories. It's far from a professional scrapbook, but it's a lovely reminder of how she's grown and now she's nearly 8 he's filled several already.
  • Pollycat
    74jax wrote: »
    If you don't want her to sell it, why does it need to go up in value?

Does she like collecting things or is she minimalistic - will it just be put in a cupboard?

What about something she would wear so it is with her regularly and she will attach the thought gift to that, a necklace, charm etc. Maybe with roman numerals of her dob, or coordinates of her home town etc.
    I think she was born last year. ;)
  • Batman2017
    Yes she was born last year. I guess I would like it to go up in value, incase she was ever in a really tight spot and needed to sell it, or perhaps she could pass it on to her children, grandchildren..I dont have any heirlooms in my family that i know of so it would be nice to create one from 2017. Its just knowing what to choose now that maybe worth something 20,30,50 or 100 years from now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure