Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Glad you had a good saunter.
    I am just going to have a glass of rose
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • cider is one of the few drinks i miss since giving up alcohol, esp in the summer
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • I don't think I could give up alcohol because I only have chocolate, cake, desserts, biscuits, sweets, etc as a treat on special occasions (due to my ongoing mission to get to my ideal weight :o). But I only have alcohol on Saturday and Sunday nights. I actually prefer wine but DH is teetotal so no point in opening a bottle just for me. Cider is my second favourite :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • beanielou wrote: »
    Glad you had a good saunter.
    I am just going to have a glass of rose

Enjoy your rose Beanie :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • DS2 and DS3 start their journey to Iceland today :eek: which is why I'm up at silly o clock. It took me ages to get to sleep last night due to anxiety :o. A massive thunderstorm didn't help!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hope you are now maybe back in bed or on your way home . I am the same with my DS , he is in London this weekend and I worry about him there .

I didn't sleep to well either , in fits and starts but we didn't have a thunderstorm.

DS2 and DS3 will have a great time in Iceland .
  • DS2 and DS3 start their journey to Iceland today :eek: which is why I'm up at silly o clock. It took me ages to get to sleep last night due to anxiety :o. A massive thunderstorm didn't help!

Sounds as if everything was conspiring against your getting a good night's sleep:(. I hope you can relax a bit once the boys are safely on their way.

This latest holiday shouldn't be such an anxious time for you seeing as there are two of them going together and one of them is a seasoned transatlantic traveller now. Enjoy the peace, quiet and rest from all the time you put in to looking after them:beer:. They'll be home again before you know it.

I hope the thunder doesn't spoil any plans you have for the frest of the holiday weekend.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 May 2018 at 9:36AM
    Hope you are now maybe back in bed or on your way home . I am the same with my DS , he is in London this weekend and I worry about him there .

I didn't sleep to well either , in fits and starts but we didn't have a thunderstorm.

DS2 and DS3 will have a great time in Iceland .

I hope your DS has a nice time in London.

Sounds as if everything was conspiring against your getting a good night's sleep:(. I hope you can relax a bit once the boys are safely on their way.

This latest holiday shouldn't be such an anxious time for you seeing as there are two of them going together and one of them is a seasoned transatlantic traveller now. Enjoy the peace, quiet and rest from all the time you put in to looking after them:beer:. They'll be home again before you know it.

I hope the thunder doesn't spoil any plans you have for the frest of the holiday weekend.

Thank you both :). Logic tells me they will be fine but mums always worry :o.

We're home now but too hyped up to go back to bed. We're watching Countryfile to soothe us and I'm eating chocolate :o. I'm not expecting to get anything constructive done today. I just want to have a nap later as I only got four hours sleep and try to unwind.

It's been quite a week :eek:.

DS1 is delighted to have the house to himself for nine days (apart from DH and I who don't bother him).

Tomorrow we'd like to go out somewhere to a NT place in the afternoon. The weather's not great, leaden skies and showers, but that's what raincoats are for!
  • Tomorrow we'd like to go out somewhere to a NT place in the afternoon. The weather's not great, leaden skies and showers, but that's what raincoats are for!

Absolutely! Sometimes the threat of bad weather is enough to put people off going to places and we find they are less crowded if we go then which is always nice:j. OH gets really irritated by crowds (but there's not much that doesn't irritate him:eek:) and refuses to wait in queues for anything. He'll tolerate up to 2 people in line before him but that's it and otherwise he storms off ordering me to follow:eek:. I never mind queueing if it's for something I really want and it's a chance to indulge in a bit of my fascination for people-watching:o. Also, people are pretty nice and patient on the whole (except OH of course;)) and I usually enjoy having a chat with people while we wait.
  • I'm like you Carboot I love people watching. DS1 says I'm nosey but I call it taking a healthy interest in people :rotfl:. That's why I quite enjoy going on buses and coaches, there's always something or someone interesting to observe :D.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure