holiday entitlement query

Hi!

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a couple of questions:

I've been working in my job since June 2017 and i handed in my notice on the 24th May 2018. My contract states a 4 week notice period and i have taken 1.5 days leave this year. I thought my last working day would be the 21st June and after using the online calculators, i would be owed 13 days holiday.

My boss says she used an online calculator too and she says I am owed 1 days holiday for each month worked this year, meaning 5 days owed. Who is correct?

I work 40 hours a week over 5 days. i have 20 days holiday + bank holidays and i've had 1.5 days leave this year. The leave year runs from January-December.
My contract says that any holidays owed will be worked out on a pro rata basis. It also says
"The employee shall have no entitlement to any payment in lieu of accrued but undertaked holiday except on termination of the Appointment. The amount of such payment in lieu shall be 1/260th of the salary of the Employee for each undertake day of the entitlement for the holiday year in which termination takes place and any untaken days carried forward from the preceeding holiday year" Does this mean i will get less pay then a normal working day? i make 27000 a year, if that helps.

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Well Im also assuming youve had Easter bank holidays, January 1st, and (almost) 2 May bank holidays, so rather than 1.5 days leave youve had 6.5

So I definitely don;t see you being owed 13.

Your bosses calculation makes no sense in terms of it being 1 day a month, but her calculation of you earning 11.5 days pro rata makes more sense than your 20.5 days for almost half a year, but neither make total sense to me.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    You would have accrued about 13 days leave but minus the 5 bank holidays so far this year (inc coming Monday) and minus the 1.5 days you say you have had leaves you owed 6.5 days which should be paid at your normal rate of pay
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Thank you both for explaining, I understand now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure