Am I Being Harrassed?

2»

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Toughen up - the idea normal day to day management of a new employee constitutes 'harassment' is ludicrous.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    nicechap wrote: »
    Are you being harassed? No, you are being managed as you appear to be an awkward and disruptive presence.

^^^^

This in a nutshell
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    What do you think I should do?

Learn to accept that any workplace has its difficult characters and work on your ability to deal with them - it'll serve you well. Your complaints are a lot less serious than a lot of what gets discussed on here.

I agree with others that the comments that have been aimed at you sound pretty reasonable - try to take them as constructive criticism and learn from them - you should then find yourself in a better place moving forwards.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You are sounding like a snowflake I'm afraid.

It doesn't sound like the manager is very nice/welcoming/accommodating, which is a shame. But the issues you describe are incredibly minor.

Being asked to do things slightly differently is not 'confrontation'. It is just someone explaining to a new member of staff what you are supposed to do.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Sadly, we can all probably describe work situations that are far more confrontational.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Just as an example - I had only been in a new job a couple of weeks when we had a leak from out central heating pipes. I called an engineer but they couldn't give a time for arrival, just a vague "sometime today". I called work and told the boss I'd call them once the leak had been fixed. In the event, that wasn't until after 5pm but when I went in the following day the boss laid into me for not calling. There was no apology forthcoming when I said it was agreed I would call once the problem was fixed but it hadn't been fixed until after the office closed. I didn't go off into the corner thinking 'poor little me', although it did confirm the view I'd established early on that the manager was an a***hole :-)
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    johnsmithy wrote: »
    Hello,

I have recently started a temporary role through an agency at a local firm and I wanted advice as to whether or not I have been the subject of harassment at work.

Ok, let's take a look!
    On Monday, I went into work and my line manager asked me why her phone cord was tangled - I had been sat at her desk the previous Friday as that was the only free desk and her cord had become badly tangled and I did my best to untangle it. I simply said "sorry" and she said "Answer the question," which I did and she said "I don't want you to sit at my desk again." The incident did not go unnoticed and a colleague I spoke to this morning used the term 'humiliation,' which is what I was thinking.

Yea, I had visions of an unpleasant teacher telling off a naughty 6 year old when I read that.

Solution

- Say sorry for sure, but add in a bit of meat. "Ah sorry about that, I was a bit careless but I will remember to not tangle the wires in future". "You don't want me to sit at your desk? That's fine, going forward I'll sit at X desk". Then never sit at her desk again.
    Whilst I was on the phone, she was criticising how I described things, saying I should refer to it as equipment, even though the message was getting through and people perfectly understood what I was talking about.

I used to work in a call center and this very same thing happened to me. I'd speak in a way which got through to the customer, but on call quality I'd get marked down for using "jargon" or not using the correct terminology.

Solution

- Use the word equipment when your boss is around
    Later, when I asked her what she wanted me to do and I suggested filing, she said 'yes' but she wasn't exactly friendly.

So? She didn't do anything wrong, aside from adding a bit of a negative tone onto the answer.

Solution

- Let things like that go over your head. Really not worth worrying about other people and their manners/attitude.
    As I was doing the filing, my colleague came down and said that on manifests we work on, don't put "delivery needed," but put "delivery required."

Not sure what this means? Sounds like your colleague is giving you some advice.... how is that bad in any way?
    I know I need to man up perhaps but nevertheless, I am a sensitive individual and I do have mental health issues as well.

Cutting out the rest because it is fairly speculative. This part caught my eye though. You mention mental health issues, now I would hope that you are making the correct enquiries (NHS for example) with regards to that, so you are given help. For those with certain mental health issues the phrase "man up" is pretty useless, so in that respect I don't strictly think you need to do that. Just sort of give yourself the best possible chance (seek help for MH issues, let things go over your head, get uploading your CV to job sites etc)
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Did you never think to replace the lead........with maybe a sorry card?.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure