The Plan

Comments

• Congratulations on your new arrival.

One of the things that saved me in the early days was a sling. I went to a sling library and got fitted and taught properly. There is nothing better than hands free sling snuggles.

Hiring from a library is very mse as you cAn try lots of different types before you commit to buying.
    They will also fit you and baby properly following all the ticks guidelines (no crotch dangling, narrow based carriers)

It has saved my sanity on more times than I can remember over the last 18 months.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Scrimps
    Scrimps Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

p.s. I just set myself a no cosmetics and no new clothes challenge! I'm not sure my DH thinks its possible but I am going to try.

Good luck with this, I think there are challenges on the debt free wannabe board. i was going to join them but Im not really very good at posting regularly on the challenges board. I do need to update on this actually:

I have spent my advantage card points on mascara - needed. Eye shadow - not really needed and baby bits. For various reason Boots is on the list of places I no longer wish to shop so now I dont have any points I can stop going in there. The only imminent expence is I really need some razor blades. I may get some swagbuck amazon vouchers to buy these though so I dont have to buy them out of cashflow.

I have bought clothes, very easy to rationalise: My non-maternity wear doesnt fit me and my maternity trousers all have an underbump seam where my c-section wound is and its still a bit uncomfortable and irritated by the seams. So i bought some high waisted leggings from M&S @ £9.50 to tide me over until Im properly healed and/or can fit into my non maternity clothes. I also bought some giant high waisted granny pants for the above reasons - theyre outrageously ugly and outrageously comfortable :).

I could do with dropping the weight really and sorting through my clothes. I put all my non-maternity stuff away about 6 months ago, it'll probably be another month before i contemplate being able to try them on but there is only so long I am willing to cycle through 1 pair of leggings and 1 pair of yoga pants for outfits.
  • Scrimps
    Congratulations on your new arrival.

One of the things that saved me in the early days was a sling. I went to a sling library and got fitted and taught properly. There is nothing better than hands free sling snuggles.

Hiring from a library is very mse as you cAn try lots of different types before you commit to buying.
    They will also fit you and baby properly following all the ticks guidelines (no crotch dangling, narrow based carriers)

It has saved my sanity on more times than I can remember over the last 18 months.

Thats a good idea, I'll look into a sling library. I bought a wilkinet sling on recommendation for £5 total cost from ebay which works for me but DH finds it quite uncomfortable on the shoulders.

I was thinking we could do with finding another one but loathe to spend money on something and it not work out. especially want to get another before our holiday to northumbria where we hope to be out and about a lot and not in places which are particularly pram friendly.
  • Scrimps wrote: »
    Thats a good idea, I'll look into a sling library. I bought a wilkinet sling on recommendation for £5 total cost from ebay which works for me but DH finds it quite uncomfortable on the shoulders.

I was thinking we could do with finding another one but loathe to spend money on something and it not work out. especially want to get another before our holiday to northumbria where we hope to be out and about a lot and not in places which are particularly pram friendly.

Wilkinet is not a brand I'm familiar with (and I do the admin for our sling library, so know a lot of brands) but take it along with you to the library and, if it meets the tics guidelines, the peer supporters and consultants at the library will help you (and hubby) get a good fit.

Hubby and I have our own slings, He doesn't like mine, I don't like his, but then we don't wear each other's shoes, so it's not unreasonable that we don't wear each orher's slings.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Hi

Congratulations on the birth if your son. I had mine mid December and we had to stay in for a week because he was jaundice and had an infection so I'm right there with you on the car parking charges. We stocked up on M&S ready meals for when we got home. Not cheap but so much easier and meant we could eat separately and both actually have a hot dinner. No guilt on that one at all!

With the breast feeding, please try not to be too harsh on yourself. It doesn't work for everyone no matter how many people say how natural it is. My sister struggled and got the perfect prep machine for the bottles and she wouldn't be without it now. They also do a similar thing for weaning that steams and blends the food which I think she is going to get when the time comes.

I hope you're settling into life with the baby. How did you find the mum and baby group? I've not been to any yet but thinking about going. Being in a room full of new people and babies isn't my idea of a good time though, so I'm a bit hesitant to do it...
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16 Remortgaged Sep17 to pay off HtB loan £150000 - £140500 JUL19 Moved house Oct19 £230000 £230400 DEC20
  • Scrimps
    It appears the Cornwall sling library closed back in August 2016.

The wilkinet does meet the ticks requirements but we can go to a shop and spend some time trying new ones for DH probably once DS is a bit bigger.
  • Scrimps
    DS had a very fretful day yesterday but today has been asleep for the last few hours, he got himself off to sleep rather than needing to be rocked for the first time ever...I havent known what to do with myself. I hope this is the start of a routine but I wont hold my breath:D
    Im alert for him waking up so will get this finished quick.
    We have withdrawn some matched betting funds of £500 and made an additional overpayment of £300. £200 has been used to cover the overspend in DS category (still learning) and DH category (my birthday present was not saved up for:o) and also as mentioned previously struggling with sticking to the food budget.

Paid today so the budget for feb is as follows:
    Fixed costs:
    Tv licence 12.12
    C tax 118
    Energy 60.00
    Mortgage 556
    HP 45
    Home Ins 19
    Life ins 22
    Water 38.5
    BBand 19
    fees 18.00

Variable:
    Food 220
    Parking 10
    Fuel 80
    Pets 150
    Car Maint 100
    Home maint 20
    Misc 10
    Own £150 each
    Mortgage Overpayment 500
    Cash savings 120

We have been paid more than this but I worked out this would be what we would have if we split out the maternity pay evenly across the 12 months. Anything paid over this is put into a separate saving account to top up the income when the maternity pay runs out.

The eagle eyed of you may notice that there is nothing in a category for DS. I am hoping to cover his expenses with child benefit which I have already started getting but as previously Im still learning so I may not be able to. I will be going to mother and baby groups which can get quite pricey but they seem to help with my low mood so I'll stick with them for the time being.

I am expecting my £40 from Onepoll soon also, this should go to the mortgage. I dont anticipate getting anything from matched betting this month.

Other targets:
    No clothes: still just leggings and giant pants for post natal wear
    No cosmetics: On track as only spent advantage card points. However they have all gone now so this will not last until target date of November
  • Hi Scrimps

I hope you're doing well with your little boy. Mine will go to bed at night without rocking but not naps. We're still working on a day time routine, might be a bit early yet though. I've not tried any groups yet, I did think abut going to one because I was feeling a bit down, lonely and bored but I've not braved it yet. I'm with you on the giant pants!:rotfl:
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16 Remortgaged Sep17 to pay off HtB loan £150000 - £140500 JUL19 Moved house Oct19 £230000 £230400 DEC20
  • Scrimps
    Hi Scrimps

I hope you're doing well with your little boy. Mine will go to bed at night without rocking but not naps. We're still working on a day time routine, might be a bit early yet though. I've not tried any groups yet, I did think abut going to one because I was feeling a bit down, lonely and bored but I've not braved it yet. I'm with you on the giant pants!:rotfl:

Sorry I missed this, I havent been logging in to update. We're getting on better, we had quite a few issues with colic but he seems happier now, still screams a lot but i hear thats what babies do:o

He sleeps really well at night but does get cuddled a lot, I have to make sure he is fast asleep before I put him on his back otherwise he will just wake back up again, he seems to get a fair amount of reflux which is settling down also but he is not yet over. He will sleep really well and settle immediately on his front but obviously I dont want to do that so am sticking with the cuddlng to sleep for now so I can lay him on his back, we co sleep a lot also. He does not like sleeping during the day at all, I also was a bit clueless about how much encouragement babies need to sleep during the day.

I thought it kind of just happened if you were fairly quiet :rotfl: He will keep going and going until he is exhausted, then the screaming/crying starts because he is so tired by about 5pm and then eventually falls asleep and only wakes a few times for a feed overnight until 5am. We have got a bit better with daytime naps but not much, sometimes we think we have cracked it with a particular routine of pushing in the pram, or driving round in the car etc then , the next time I try it, he steadfastly stays awake.

I hear you on the lonliness and boredom. I have been going to groups and would encourage you to brave it, all the other mums are there for the same reason and want someone to talk to and go for coffee with. I have found the ones I chose a bit pricey and its more for me than the boy but i would be less happy if I didnt go. Contrary to the 'competitive mum' thing you hear I find that everyone tends to talk about how shocked they are by how difficult it is, how lonely and bored they can feel if they dont get out, they also want to check that other peoples babies cry too and do poonamis etc and they also want to make some friends who have children because their current friends either a.> dont have kids or b.> have kids that are older.

Im guessing the competitive mum bit will come as the babies get older. If you find a group where people arnt very inclusive just find another group.

I also go to a 'postnatal low mood' group therapy which just started last week, i was refered by my CBT counsellor. It was very helpful to hear that everyone is in the same boat, looking at the titles of the next sessions it basically says work on putting yourself up the pecking order, try and carve some time out for yourself and let go of the guilt that seems to be born at the same time as the baby. I find talking to people difficult and get very anxious in social situations (see CBT) so I get that its difficult to brave the groups, but it is worth it.

Sorry, went on a bit there! Happens a lot:rotfl:
  • Scrimps
    Feb spending should be finished apart from a few odds out of any cash we have in our wallets:

Variable: Target/Actual
    Food 220/222
    Parking 10/0
    Fuel 80/80
    Pets 150/156
    Car Maint 100/0
    Home maint 20/240
    Misc 10/13
    Own £150 each /200 by me, on tgt for DH
    Mortgage Overpayment 500/500
    Cash savings 120/0

Mostly on track for this month, I was particularly pleased with the food, though I am sure the short month helps massively we do still have food left. I think this was lower because of not nippping to sainsburys to buy 1 pizza each on a friday night and maybe some cakes for me etc, this happened a lot before and is expensive! I did a bit more home cooking, home made pizza and cheap soups etc. I also recalled what went so wrong with the food budget previously, we followed the advice to take a lot of food into the hospital because the fathers dont get fed and if labour is long mum will need the food to keep her energy up, we kept buying the snacks but because I was 2 weeks overdue we kept eating them and having to replace them:o We dont have snack foods in the house because I will just eat them all up. We also bought a lot of jars and convenience foods to cope with the early days. This is a real eye opener as to how expensive it is to eat that way, I can see how people easily have monster food bills.

The 150 for the cats is usually 100 savings for medical bills we have every quarter and 50 on cat food. we spent 76 on an unexpected vet bill and I stocked up with 80 worth of the only food they will eat as it was on offer. Next month will be an expensive vet bill month as one of the cats needs a dental and a heart scan as well as their usual expensive tablets- we get these from petdrugsonline.com which is a huge saving but it is still expensive.

Home maintenance went well over, the boiler broke, the microwave broke and we needed some shelves for DS room. We have been given some toys but had nowhere to put them. His room is coming together nicely for when he actually moves in there. It is very nice to actually have the money so that these things arnt a huge drama when they go wrong, previously these would have been a huge headache. I did think of not replacing the microwave but i do a lot of batch cooking so it is very useful and well used.

My spending went over by £50. I tried on my jeans from before my pregnancy expecting them to be a little snug.........theyre about 2 sizes too small:eek:. Im going to be in my maternity clothes for a while! I have joined slimming world and signed up for a 12 week count down, I didnt actually have the money for this so have overspent. The good news is, once I do get to target I should be able to fit into the many clothes I have stored under the bed.

The other bits are all still on target - no further spending on clothing or cosmetics.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure