Unintentional benefit fraud

Comments

• Because they only specificly asked for his,,, until then we wasnt aware we needed to provide
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    There is no need for anybody to panic over this, but there is a need to ensure that all information which should have been provided previously is provided now. Contact the council immediately to let them know that you also live at home, at least then they can't pick up on that and come to the not unnatural assumption that there was an attempt to hide additional information.
    The money will have to be repaid, but as you mother is on benefits there are restrictions on how much they can take per week.
  • When making her application she'll have been asked if anyone else lived in the same house as her? Did she answer this correctly, have you moved back in since?
  • This is why my mum doesnt understand as they are aware we live there but have never asked for our wage slips which is why i think she didnt think she needed to inform them,
    but yeah we will inform then.
  • jaywii94 wrote: »
    Because they only specificly asked for his,,, until then we wasnt aware we needed to provide

She not we, she had to provide the information not you.

She should read what she fills in and signs. As the application forms require details of other household members and letters sent to her would have contained reminders to update them with information about changes.

All the same now you know she should do it ASAP.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    how old are you and your brother? did she make the claims when you were school/ college age and that's how you've slipped through the net?
  • yes my little bro was in college for 2 years of the payment and i was on JSA which is why i think its been missed
  • With regards to your mum's Council Tax Benefit, does she get a 25% discount, if so, somewhere it has been declared that she lives alone.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    yeah sounds like she started the claim genuinely then and for whatever reason hasnt told them of a change in circumstances. That should go in her favour. It's not like she's hidden the 2 of you intentionally.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    No one can say if you will or will not go to court. Your Mum may (or may not) be invited to an IUC regarding the offence of failing to report a change but that hasn’t happened yet-,cross that bridge if you come to it. Certainly no one will be going to prison even if you do go to court- assuming that your Mum hasn’t got any previous for fraud.

What you do need to do is put it right. Depending on your age, the period you were on JSA (if it was income based) there may not be a deduction for you. Does your Mum get DLA or PIP? If so, which components does she get?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure