Rules of the road

Comments

• Gellerbing wrote: »
    I probably wouldn't have beeped my horn
    To be fair, the Op didn't beep their horn. They gave a 2 second blast which IMO is far longer than would have been required if the intention was simply to advise another driver of your presence.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,965
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I wouldn't let in a huge van, belching filthy smoke into my heater intake and making it impossible to see what is going on in front either. :D
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If the van was in a lane marked for a direction other than they took then they committed an offence of driving without due consideration. However, if there are two lanes then these are provided to get everyone across the junction efficiently.

I'm not averse to being awkward if it is obvious that a driver is aggressively and obviously trying to force their way through traffic but in the end there is a point where you give in with good grace.

I learned my lesson a long time ago when I simply sounded my horn at an Arsenal fan who drove at right angles across the slip road just in front of me so he could drive up the hard shoulder to get round queuing traffic (before hard shoulder running). He eventually trapped me, got out and amusingly shouted "What's your problem?"

It is not our job to police the roads - and it is quite clear as a cyclist that those who take the role on don't know the law.
  • Is it worth having an accident over? Just let them in next time.
  • I think it depends, did he indicate and then just pull in, or did he indicate and wait for you to realise that he was wanting to pull in? from the sound of it I think it sounds like he indicated and then tried to force his way into a gap that wasn't really there and just expected everyone to get out of their way. I think I am on the OP's side with this one, they could have probably been a bit less aggressive with the horn, but I would have beeped too. Either way his manoeuvre has caused others to brake, and his reaction seems ridiculous!!! he must have known he'd done something stupid, just accept your lumps and get on with it. The OP could have probably been a bit more patient, but it's aggressive driving like the van driver that causes accidents.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    As the driver changing lanes the onus is on him to complete the manoeuvre safely. IF he can not do that then he cancels the manoeuvre.
    However you should also be on the look out for drivers changing lanes and if he started indicating then you should allow him space to complete the change.
    If there was an accident it would probably be marked down as his fault since he was changing lanes.
    However if either of you were taking your driving test you would have failed.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Too many inconsiderate drivers around today. I also hate people who just push their way in to beat a bit of a que (was that not made an offence...?).
    If I find myself in the wrong lane, I will indicate and wait for someone to let me in (or a gap), which would be considerate.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    You only have to read this forum to see the expense and hassle involved if you have an accident.

I will do anything to avoid an accident as I don't have the time to deal with it and I want to get to where I am going on time.

I don't care it is my right of way or not.
  • SuzieSue wrote: »
    You only have to read this forum to see the expense and hassle involved if you have an accident.

I will do anything to avoid an accident as I don't have the time to deal with it and I want to get to where I am going on time.

I don't care it is my right of way or not.
    Exactly. A bit of dented pride, a moment of indignation and a few seconds added to your journey, versus smug self-satisfaction with the risk of weeks or even months of hassle and expense. “But I was in the right, so it was worth it.”
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Once upon a time, after a minute or so of waiting at a T junction to turn left into standing/crawling traffic I made the decision to "force" my way in. A Landrover Defender was so determined that I was not to get in they actually drove straight into the back of the car in front of them. Hilarious (for me at least).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure