PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Comments

• JaneyLouWho
    JaneyLouWho Posts: 155 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2018 at 9:40PM
    Ugh, Cheery - good luck sorting out the freezer/meat combo. Not ideal!

Phoebe - hope you dont have to stay in the travelodge without the doggies for too long :(

Aliliva - dont give up! It will be worth it in the end Im sure

RTX - hooray for progress!!

Progress of a sort here too - dates for exchange/completion on the sale still set for 8th/15th. Heard from the top of the purchase chain that searches are due back on the 8th and they expect to be ready to proceed in a couple of weeks. I will be pushing for that to be sooner - completion on the 16th on the purchase would be like the stars aligning on so many levels! My father in law will be here then and could help us move (he is on a once every 3 year visit from Canada so Id love for him to see the new house too!), the removals to store could be changed to a direct removal, we wouldnt need to worry about alternative accommodation. Our lovely seller is happy to push for that date too, so hopefully it will all come together!! Crossing all fingers and toes, trying not to get excited whilst also getting Very Excited!!
  • Amanda_Cm
    Amanda_Cm Posts: 168 Forumite
    Cheery, freezer full of meat? Is like scene if scary movie.

Kezzygirl, yes my seller sent me Facebook invitation and then delete it. It was sent by mistake I think.

Phoebe, that's a nightmare. Staying in there. Hope you will be in your new home soon.

Janey, it sound like a progress hoorey!
  • Hey everyone,
    Thought i'd finally post in here after reading everyone's posts to take my mind of the dreaded moving game!
    I don't have an exact timeline yet will have to look back and post later.

My story so far...
    On 6th November - 10 days after our house has been put on the market we received an offer at asking price!
    I was away at the time on a two week holiday and my partner was still in England.
    He went and reserved the lovely new build we had found before I left. Lots of paperwork needed to be done and I managed to print and sign all of it from the hotel reception where I was staying.
    The new build was only being held for 4 weeks for us and we had a date to exchange on the 8th December.
    All our paperwork was signed and ready to go with our mortgage offer in place, ready to exchange on the 8th
    But its never that simple is it!
    Of course we had heard nothing from our buyers solicitors come exchange week and they claimed they had never received the instruction to proceed meaning no searches had been done and the buyers hadn't even applied for their mortgage yet.

The buyers finally apply for their mortgage. We have missed our 8th December deadline and now worried that we will lose our new build - luckily they have held on for us!

The buyers bank instructed a mortgage valuation which devalued the house by 6.6%, putting pressure on us and we had reserved a house based on the money available to us when they offered asking price. We settled on a 4.6% drop.

At the end of December the buyers were back in touch saying the bank had asked for a Structural Survey. That took place the last week before Christmas with the promise the report would be back within 48 hours. It wasn't and didn't return until mid-Jan. where no comments were made to us and everything seemed to be ok.

At the end of Jan, the buyers contacted us to say that the bank had now asked for a drainage survey which was arranged for the next day - our drains all clean and clear.

Surely they cant ask for anymore. Wrong.

We received a phone call yesterday to say the bank had received an amended structural survey (?!) with a valuation now and that had decreased the value by a further 5% meaning the house had now been devalued by 12%. Meaning that if the buyers aren't willing to pay over the banks valuation we would have to pull.
    Our new build house is ready to move into on the 23rd of this month and we have chose all our tiles flooring etc and been to visit every week since we reserved but cant get excited as its not our house yet!
    Our buyers and us negotiated and finally settled on a figure that is 6% below our original asking price and are finally due to exchange on Friday....

The last house we bought in Oct 2016 was our first one and had no chain and all went smoothly! We are now 25 and I think this has been one of the most stressful processes of ur lives so far haha!
    Will keep you all posted.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    milliemil wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    Thought i'd finally post in here after reading everyone's posts to take my mind of the dreaded moving game!

My story so far...
    On 6th November - 10 days after our house has been put on the market we received an offer at asking price!
    I was away at the time on a two week holiday and my partner was still in England.
    He went and reserved the lovely new build we had found before I left. Lots of paperwork needed to be done and I managed to print and sign all of it from the hotel reception where I was staying.
    The new build was only being held for 4 weeks for us and we had a date to exchange on the 8th December.
    All our paperwork was signed and ready to go with our mortgage offer in place, ready to exchange on the 8th
    Of course we had heard nothing from our buyers solicitors come exchange week and they claimed they had never received the instruction to proceed meaning no searches had been done and the buyers hadn't even applied for their mortgage yet.

The buyers finally apply for their mortgage. We have missed our 8th December deadline and now worried that we will lose our new build - luckily they have held on for us!

The buyers bank instructed a mortgage valuation which devalued the house by 6.6%, putting pressure on us and we had reserved a house based on the money available to us when they offered asking price. We settled on a 4.6% drop.

At the end of December the buyers were back in touch saying the bank had asked for a Structural Survey. That took place the last week before Christmas with the promise the report would be back within 48 hours. It wasn't and didn't return until mid-Jan. where no comments were made to us and everything seemed to be ok.

At the end of Jan, the buyers contacted us to say that the bank had now asked for a drainage survey which was arranged for the next day - our drains all clean and clear.

We received a phone call yesterday to say the bank had received an amended structural survey (?!) with a valuation now and that had decreased the value by a further 5% meaning the house had now been devalued by 12%. Meaning that if the buyers aren't willing to pay over the banks valuation we would have to pull.
    Our new build house is ready to move into on the 23rd of this month and we have chose all our tiles flooring etc and been to visit every week since we reserved but cant get excited as its not our house yet!
    Our buyers and us negotiated and finally settled on a figure that is 6% below our original asking price and are finally due to exchange on Friday....

The last house we bought in Oct 2016 was our first one and had no chain and all went smoothly! We are now 25 and I think this has been one of the most stressful processes of ur lives so far haha!

For information and the benefit of others - the buyers bank is?
  • We got a low offer yesterday. We said no but let's hope they come back with something higher.

I have been thinking and thinking about the buyer who pulled out due to the subsidence risk and her survey. She refused to give us the survey or any details. The morning she was due to sign her contract her EA called me to say she was just waiting for her drainage survey to come back later that day and then she would sign. Then a few hours later she pulls out. So now I am wondering if the drainage survey had something bad in it? But she won't tell us anything and hung up on my EA when he tried to ask. It would be good to know, so we can address any issues, if there are any. I suppose there's no way of finding out?! :-(
    Save £12k in 2018 #130 - £1200/£7,000
  • harz99 wrote: »
    For information and the benefit of others - the buyers bank is?
    Halifax - surprisingly to me!
  • Hi all

Exciting to hear that people are exchanging, completing and moving! I'm really concerned reading that some of you are having problems with useless FTB - we are clueless FTB and doing it alone so we're relying on the solicitor and estate agents to keep us right with what we're supposed to be doing. We've made some progress - we're converting our AIP into a full mortgage. OH told me that the online form said it had been accepted, but they keep emailing us and asking questions about transactions on our statements and employment, so he obviously misunderstood what it said. Our searches are back, and apparently the survey has been done, although we haven't seen it yet.

Timeline:
    03/01 Offer accepted
    04/01 AIP agreed with Yorkshire - valid for 30 days
    08/01 Instructed solicitors to act on our behalf
    10/01 Provided EA with proof of deposit, AIP and ID
    12/01 Received pack from solicitors
    15/01 Paid fee for Searches
    18/01 Applied for full mortgage with YBS
    26/01 Phone call and email from YBS detailing information required to proceed with application
    26/01 - GOT ENGAGED (not relevant at all, but completely distracting me from the fact we're supposed to be doing house stuff)
    31/01 - Survey conducted
    05/02 - Searches returned

We've answered all of the building society's questions, provided ID and we're just waiting for them to contact OH's accountant (he's self employed) and hopefully that will all be done and dusted.

The searches have returned nothing untoward according to the solicitor. There's something about a planned wind farm, and they recommend doing another search for another £20.00 to find out more about this. It won't be on the doorstep anyway, there's houses all around our house, and we don't have views of rolling hills so there's nothing to spoil there.

Seller contacted us last month to ask if we wanted their wardrobes for £500. We said no thanks (they deffo weren't worth 500 quid), and they came back within a day and said would we want them for free? Answer still no, so hoping they definitely take them with them when they go - better than freezers full of meat though!

Sorry for the epic, it's all getting a bit real now!
  • Aliliva
    Aliliva Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    vicki2221 wrote: »
    We got a low offer yesterday. We said no but let's hope they come back with something higher.

I have been thinking and thinking about the buyer who pulled out due to the subsidence risk and her survey. She refused to give us the survey or any details. The morning she was due to sign her contract her EA called me to say she was just waiting for her drainage survey to come back later that day and then she would sign. Then a few hours later she pulls out. So now I am wondering if the drainage survey had something bad in it? But she won't tell us anything and hung up on my EA when he tried to ask. It would be good to know, so we can address any issues, if there are any. I suppose there's no way of finding out?! :-(

maybe wait and see if this second buyer puts on a higher offer and then what their survey says. Worst case scenario, if even their survey comes back with a less than positive answer, you might want to consider commissioning your own survey and address whichever issue they find.
    GC £~~/300
  • milliemil wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

My story so far...

Milliemil, so sorry you have had to go through this :( Sounds as though the end is in sight now though and you'll get your shiny new house!

I can sympathise, having gone through similar - our buyers' valuation came back at £0 because of subsidence :eek:, structural report requested........had to wait an age for the results - only to discover there was no subsidence!!! Then all kinds of other reports and quotes were requested by their lender - including damp......even though we have a 30 year transferable guarantee :( There were weeks when I got no sleep till 5am and my hair came out in handfuls, the stress was so bad!

Eventually their mortage offer came through without so much as a small retentention, but a whole two months were wasted and we lost our onward purchase. We completed two weeks ago and are now buying a repossession - cue more stress, lol!
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Milliemil, so sorry you have had to go through this :( Sounds as though the end is in sight now though and you'll get your shiny new house!

I can sympathise, having gone through similar - our buyers' valuation came back at £0 because of subsidence :eek:, structural report requested........had to wait an age for the results - only to discover there was no subsidence!!! Then all kinds of other reports and quotes were requested by their lender - including damp......even though we have a 30 year transferable guarantee :( There were weeks when I got no sleep till 5am and my hair came out in handfuls, the stress was so bad!

Eventually their mortage offer came through without so much as a small retentention, but a whole two months were wasted and we lost our onward purchase. We completed two weeks ago and are now buying a repossession - cue more stress, lol!

Oh no that sounds a nightmare , how stressful for you, not only having the £0 valuation but then the reality of having to deal with living in a home with subsidence :(
    Thank goodness the structural survey came back with some good news for you - such a roller coaster ride isn't it!
    I just want to tell everyone about our lovely new home that we could be in in 16 days - but cant because it isn't our house!!
    Hope everything goes okay with buying the repo - I will keep an eye out for updates from you. So thankful we have sites like these to help us and other people to talk to!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback