PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

lodger deposit dispute

Options
2»

Comments

• smartpicture
    Options
    The cost of cleaning an oven around here is £60, or £90 if it's a double oven, so £30 may only be a share of the cost?
  • sazdes
    sazdes Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    its a small single oven, I said I'm more than happy to pay for my share providing they gave me a receipt/photo to prove the cleaning actually took place, after that I didn't hear anything more and the charge was removed on the second email changing all the original reasons for the deductions, so I am assuming it wasn't actually cleaned
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sazdes wrote: »
    its a small single oven, I said I'm more than happy to pay for my share providing they gave me a receipt/photo to prove the cleaning actually took place, after that I didn't hear anything more and the charge was removed on the second email changing all the original reasons for the deductions, so I am assuming it wasn't actually cleaned
    Why do you think you have any right to such a thing? They don't need to get it cleaned.

If you hit my car, I don't need to get a new one, I can take the pay-out and spend it on getting hammered if I choose.
  • sazdes
    edited 5 February 2018 at 3:36PM
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Why do you think you have any right to such a thing? They don't need to get it cleaned.

If you hit my car, I don't need to get a new one, I can take the pay-out and spend it on getting hammered if I choose.
    I was under the impression this was how it worked with tenancies, ie to avoid betterment (whenever we had tenants that had stained things that we needed professionally cleaned we would always provide before/after pictures and the receipt to prove we weren't just taking their money without justification)

not that said stains were of my doing anyway
  • sazdes
    Options
    Penitent wrote: »
    Outstanding means unpaid. Are they saying they didn't pay their electricity bill because you ran up <£5 over four months?
    I'm assuming they pay their bills but no idea as not really anything to do with me

28 days + 5 days = 33 days. Which month has 33 days in it?
    I pay rent on the 1st of the month, so they are saying 5 days payment to cover 1st-5th, as I gave notice on the 5th, although I moved on the 2nd, and as an aside had to sleep on the floor on the 1st/2nd as the bed had came apart and they hadn't got round to fixing it

initially we had agreed 2 days rent to cover the days I had my property still in the room, which I agreed to, it later got increased to 5 days when they realised they couldn't justify the damage claims
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was under the impression this was how it worked with tenancies, ie to avoid betterment (whenever we had tenants that had stained things that we needed professionally cleaned we would always provide before/after pictures and the receipt to prove we weren't just taking their money without justification)

not that said stains were of my doing anyway

You were incorrect.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I pay rent on the 1st of the month, so they are saying 5 days payment to cover 1st-5th, as I gave notice on the 5th, although I moved on the 2nd, and as an aside had to sleep on the floor on the 1st/2nd as the bed had came apart and they hadn't got round to fixing it

initially we had agreed 2 days rent to cover the days I had my property still in the room, which I agreed to, it later got increased to 5 days when they realised they couldn't justify the damage claims

The posts suggesting you pay the 3 days 2nd - 5th Jan were under the assumption you had already paid for your 28 days notice, not shorted the LL for time you actually occupied the room!

If you pay rent on 1st of month, I am assuming (not always the case) that your periods run 1st - last of month. So your Dec rent payment covered until 31st Dec. You still owe minimally for 5 days 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Jan.

The LL may have been willing to let you slide on some out of generosity or a belief you would cover other damages, but this is not binding on them. You owe the 5 days rent, no question.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure