Internal Replacement Doors: Oak Veneer

I've had a quotation from a local tradesmen for replacing 11 doors (including one sliding door + new tracking), door furniture, door oil and this totals £2347.55

I'd like to know whether this sounds fair please?

Very pleasant man who I'd like to do the work but I need to know whether this is the going rate.

Thank you.

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    So how much are the doors and door furniture?
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 2,998
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    sandieb wrote: »
    I've had a quotation from a local tradesmen for replacing 11 doors (including one sliding door + new tracking), door furniture, door oil and this totals £2347.55

Very pleasant man who I'd like to do the work but I need to know whether this is the going rate.

Thank you.

What type of door? The cost varies. My Deanta door cost £220 and fitting was on top.As the carpenter did some other jobs it's difficult to say exactly how much the fitting cost, but it involved lining and architrave as well and took a day.
  • Private_Church
    Private_Church Posts: 532 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2017 at 5:36PM

If he is geared up for the job it would take no more than 2.5 days as long as the door linings are in decent shape .

Depending on where you are a decent chippy would charge between £150-200 a day. How much are the doors?. You can buy decent quality hinges,latch and a pair of handles for around £35 per door, sliding tack can be around £45-00.

If you can post a link to the doors it would be helpful.
  • sandieb
    sandieb Posts: 728 Forumite
    Materials cost £1547 Labour: £800
  • Private_Church
    Private_Church Posts: 532 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2017 at 6:18PM

I no longer deal with Howdens but Wickes have similar doors for around £80 per door..

Doors £880-00
    Ironmongery (incl sliding door track) £435-00

Fitting Labour £500-600

Total around £1,950-00 + finishing (labour and stain,Oil etc)

If he has also allowed time for decorating the doors then the quote is a fair one.. Just to add ,most Oak veneered door specification say you shouldn't oil them so I would make sure he uses the recommended finishing products.. Oil can make the veneers de-laminate
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 2,998
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Materials cost £1547 Labour: £800

Seems very good value to me, as long as the carpenter is properly trained as hanging doors is a skilled job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure