Fun & Games - PIP

Comments

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    A few points to remember here.
    1...Never send anything to DWP "special delivery" just because it's been signed for doesn't mean it's arrived at the correct department! No but it means it got to the building Until it's arrived at the correct department it's classed as not being there. Proof of posting is enough. All that proves is you sent it, not that it arrived

I do get what you are saying if it goes in standard post it arrives at the right department as the post will have been sorted by someone who knows the system and its their job to distribute post. If the postman has to find someone to sign for it that could be anyone who is unaware of where it needs to go/too lazy to take it as its not their job!

The DWP seem to have a get out clause whatever method you choose.
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,817
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I would question who signed at such an early hour (well before offices open), as it's likely to be a security person who forgot to pass it on...or the postman forging a signature, to save himself the hassle of returning .

Mail goes to a mail opening unit usually situated a long away from the office, especially if they are using scanned mail, that goes to an address in Wolverhampton and the sat in a pile waiting to be scanned in.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,208
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    All DWP mail goes to a mail opening unit and is opened and sorted there, before either being scanned or posted to the relevant section.

It can be anything from 10 - 15 days to arrive at the actual office its meant for after being received at the opening unit.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    tomtom256 wrote: »
    All DWP mail goes to a mail opening unit and is opened and sorted there, before either being scanned or posted to the relevant section.

It can be anything from 10 - 15 days to arrive at the actual office its meant for after being received at the opening unit.
    There has been a huge increased in this kind of thing happening accroding to an advocate group i know of. Basically royal mail are opening it and its either being lost or not sent on. Unfortunately the onus is on the individual to prove they sent it.
  • Unfortunately the onus is on the individual to prove they sent it.

Proving that it was posted/sent does not give you a get out of jail card. I have been down this road before when using the proof of postage system.

As told to me by the DWP when I complained a few years ago:

The DWP are well within their rights to say that until it appears on their computer system it has not been received - as such they can and do invoke sanctions on the claimant for failing to ensure receipt by them within the time frame allowed. That does not mean that you can post a letter 24 hours before the deadline and say that you discharged your responsibility. The time limits are there for the DWP to have received it by NOT for the claimant to have posted it by.

I have been told by the DWP in the past that proof of posting does not prove receipt. The contract the claimant has is with the Post Office to deliver it - that is what you will be told by the DWP - take it up with the PO.
  • rockingbilly
    rockingbilly Posts: 853 Forumite
    edited 8 March 2017 at 1:11PM
    UPDATE::

The DWP have admitted that my PIP2 and evidence bundle had been received. In the same letter received today they inform me that I have not been successful in my PIP transfer. They also go on to state that the DLA money that was suspended will now not be paid to me as there is no regulation that allows them to do so.
    I have not had a face to face assessment so presumably they made the decision based on what I had sent them only.

Need now to get their papers to show how they came to that decision.

All I know is that the way the system has worked for me has left me shafted! Going from HRM & MRC - DLA to nothing is nothing more than I expected given everything that has happened.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,724
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 March 2017 at 8:57PM
    UPDATE::

The DWP have admitted that my PIP2 and evidence bundle had been received. In the same letter received today they inform me that I have not been successful in my PIP transfer. They also go on to state that the DLA money that was suspended will now not be paid to me as there is no regulation that allows them to do so.
    I have not had a face to face assessment so presumably they made the decision based on what I had sent them only.

Need now to get their papers to show how they came to that decision.

All I know is that the way the system has worked for me has left me shafted! Going from HRM & MRC - DLA to nothing is nothing more than I expected given everything that has happened.
    Yes I'd call them up for clarity (if you feel you don't have it) and get the evidence they used (which could involve a report from the private medical contractors... albeit not from face to face medical) and their decision details. This sounds like far from the end of this story. Administratively they can be chaotic... I am assuming they have made it clear to you that your claim for PIP has failed following study of your PIP2 form and other documentation... but it is possible they haven't. It's all a bit unclear... because I am not familiar with the 'failed PIP transfer' type letter (I'd have expected more detail explaining decision)... but it sounds like you have significant disabilities... of course they don't necessarily translate from successful DLA claim to successfully PIP claim and the criteria and methodology for assessment is very different. But clarifications are needed... that a genuine decision has been made and is nonsense... if so reconsideration can be made. Keep us updated.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Confuseddot
    Confuseddot Posts: 1,755 Forumite
    They can't deny you on paper based only.
    Play nice :eek: Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get me.:j
  • Tolly_T
    Tolly_T Posts: 120 Forumite
    They can turn you down for PIP without a face to face. They can't for ESA - maybe that's what you're thinking about Confuseddot..
  • Yes I'd call them up for clarity (if you feel you don't have it) and get the evidence they used (which could involve a report from the private medical contractors... albeit not from face to face medical) and their decision details. This sounds like far from the end of this story. Administratively they can be chaotic... I am assuming they have made it clear to you that your claim for PIP has failed following study of your PIP2 form and other documentation... but it is possible they haven't. It's all a bit unclear... because I am not familiar with the 'failed PIP transfer' type letter (I'd have expected more detail explaining decision)... but it sounds like you have significant disabilities... of course they don't necessarily translate from successful DLA claim to successfully PIP claim and the criteria and methodology for assessment is very different. But clarifications are needed... that a genuine decision has been made and is nonsense... if so reconsideration can be made. Keep us updated.
    The letter I have is 4 pages long. It starts off saying that they have looked at the PIP2 and the evidence I sent in. Then it goes into to weird lingo telling me the points and descriptors given and at the end it says that I am not entitled to PIP and that my DLA award which was suspended has been terminated from the date of the suspension.
    Then there is a bit about appeal rights for PIP and that I don't have any appeal rights for DLA.
    To me I don't see anything changing even if I did a MR. The impression I get is that my claim wasn't good enough to even warrant a face to face assessment!
    I suspect I know the reason - I wonder if there is a chance that I could put in another PIP2 form to supersede the first and get some professional help in filling it in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure